Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out of 5

Post by grim_tales »

Three Colors: Red (France, Poland, Switzerland, 1994) - rewatch: 4/5

Irene Jacob is superb in this :)

Cleanin' Up the Town: Remembering Ghostbusters (USA, 2019) - first time: 4.25/5

Crowdfunded making-of/documentary of the comedy classic, much better than I thought it would be - well edited with some interesting tidbits though curiously, despite what I initially thought, just about the first movie (the opening animation shows the ghost logo making the peace sign for GBII)
I don't know when all the interviews were done but some cast members look like they hardly aged! :o
Sadly, Bill Murray is a notable absentee from the documentary :(
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I Am The White Tiger (2018): 4/5

Mark Houghton has some interesting stories in this (a scary one as well) and shows respect for Chinese culture and kung fu and his master Lau Kar Leung.
His daughter is cute :)
I found it interesting that even though he is British/born in the UK he speaks with a Chinese accent, I guess as he lives in HK and spent lots of time there (and Malaysia too)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Black Panther (2): Wakanda Forever - 1.5/5

Retardedly plotted and boring. Best part of the film was Vincent Duke as M'Baku, but unfortunately he was barely in the film.

Dr Strange 2 and Thor 4 were shit movies too but at least they were FAR, FAR more entertaining than this bore.

What an absolute shit stain MCU Phase 4 has been, in both film and TV. Only Spider-man: No Way Home, Werewolf By Night and Guardians of the Galaxy: Christmas Special were any good.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Blade Runner: US Theatrical Cut (1982) - first time: 4/5

Felt I was paying more attention than when I saw this in the cinema (though that was my first time seeing any version). This original version has narration/explanations from Deckard and a happy ending for some reason.
Is Rachael a replicant? (Her comeback to Deckard in the testing scene is classic) :D If the replicants aren't meant to show emotion than why do some (like Pris and Roy) hate Deckard and try to kill him?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Blade Runner - The Final Cut (BD): 4/5

I think it works better without the happy ending in the theatrical version - I thought when I watched this in the cinema the credits had been redone in a more elaborate way, maybe that was a new restoration/version again?
The "Time to die" speech is amazing
Is Deckard a replicant? Not sure really?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

The Whale 1.5/5
Incredibly depressing movie about a hugely obese online teacher entering the final week of his life,in which he tries to reconnect with his estranged daughter. Brendan Fraser in a fatsuit won the oscar so well done him, not a film i'd care to revisit.

Cocaine Bear 2/5
Title is better than the actual movie, too many characters, unfunny comedy.Assume this was Ray Liotta's final movie.
working class blu-ray fan
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

John Wick 4 was plotted like a video game. Story and world building were nonsense, like they were in film #2 & 3, but who cares? Top notch action as usual. Pacing was really good, it didn't feel like a 3 hour movie.

I think my favourite part was the isometric camera view scene where he's firing the Dragon's Breath rounds. Looked like a tactical strategy game.

4/5

EDIT: Scott Adkins in the fat suit, hamming it up as the German gangster, is another highlight. Dude's martial arts weren't slowed down by the fat suit!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979): 4.5/5

Very funny satire but I always thought Holy Grail was even funnier. Some lines have extra meaning these days like the "right to have babies when he can't have babies" bit, and there's so many quotable scenes :D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Shazam (2): Fury of the Gods (2023) - 1/5

It was shit. It's got zero of the charm that the first one had. This one is just Zachary Levi ad-libing unfunny lines + being a jack ass; fighting the usual CGI monsters + a 2 dimensional villain wanting revenge.

Black Adam wasn't a great movie by any means, but it was way better than this.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Once Upon a Time in the West (1968): 4.25/5

Feels long in places (think this is the first time I remember seeing it all the way through), however Bronson, Fonda and Claudia Cardinale are the standout performances for me and the music is amazing.

Now that I think of it Bronson seemed to be taking on a Clint Eastwood type role in the movie of 'mysterious stranger' - IMDB says the role of Harmonica was offered to Clint but he turned it down.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Tetris (2023): 4.25/5

Plot: In the late 80's, the Dutch video game designer Henk Rogers discovers a game called Tetris. He risks his life travelling to the USSR and teams up with the inventor of the game to bring it to a worldwide audience.

I really enjoyed it - much better than I thought it would be. The story is actually pretty crazy, performances are good especially the main character Henk Rogers of the company Bulletproof Software and the tycoon Robert Maxwell, there were cool pixel/video game touches and it has a great soundtrack :) The 80's asthetic was shown very well in places.
Of course, it's one of those movies where we know the ending, but the journey of how we get there is fascinating and an entertaining movie :)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Antman (3) & the Wasp: Quantumania - 1.5/5
This movie is just highly forgettable sludge. I remember it being poorly written, eg they've thrown out any established rules for using the Antman powers and plot points from prior films (eg Hank trying to prevent Pym particles from falling into others' hands, yet Hope is using them all over the place in her day to day running of the Pym company.). The media hyped up Kang performance was fine, just an actor hamming it up (not that it matters, since the actor has likely been fired for allegdedly beating his wife).

I'll say that even Thor 4 is better than this, because in its sheer awfulness with the unfettered, inappropriately timed/toned Taika Waitiki humour it's at least memorable.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Being John Malkovich (USA, 1999): 4/5

I enjoy good stories with some weirdness, but this was weird. I don't think I'd seen it since it came out so it was almost like seeing it for the first time. Seems simply funny-weird at the start but gets darker and more metaphysical as it progresses. John Cusack, Cameron Diaz (I didn't realise that was her) and Malkovich are great in it.
Interesting how the movie seemingly talks about trans issues - though John Cusack's character is shortsighted in his thinking, it's not just a phase!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Taxi Driver (USA, 1976): 4.25/5

I hadn't seen this for a while (this might only be my 2nd viewing), Robert de Niro and Jodie Foster are both very good in it.
Is the ending real? The first time I saw this I wondered if the end is a dream and in Travis' head, or fantasy, because some say he died :confused:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

A Fistful of Dynamite (aka Duck, You Sucker - Italy, 1971): 4/5
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Marked for Death (USA, 1990): 3/5

Decent B movie action, Segal won't win awards for his acting though :D
The action is harder than I expected sometimes some arm breaks, eye gouging and the viscious back break at the end :o
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

High Crime (Italy, 1973) [BD] – 4/5
An angry, political and emotionally hard hitting poliziotteschi with short-tempered Vice-Commissioner Franco Nero going against an international drug smuggling ring. He has to navigate between multiple sets of gangsters (including supposedly retired older boss Fernando Ray whose motivations and connection to the case remain murky) and his own superior, Commissioner James Whitmore who is hesitant to disclose all the evidence he has collected over the years acknowledging the political and bureaucratic consequences of any hasty actions. Admittedly the plot is so complicated that even after two viewings (the former being from a 35mm print some 15 years ago) I’m not sure who was behind some of the assassinations and smugglings. But the film’s sheer emotional impact, aided by a brilliant score by Guido & Maurizio De Angelis, excellent performances and a gritty depiction of 70s Italy make this one of the best films in the genre and probably Enzo G. Castellari’s best film. There are some absolutely brilliant scenes, such as Nero questioning Whitmore’s loyalty and then Nero’s words later quietly echoing in his mind when he’s going to sleep, with Guido & Maurizio De Angelis' score playing almost inaudible in the background (these two scenes are also preceded and followed by two genius cuts). Reviewed here is the full 103 min version found on the German FilmArt BD. The Studio Canal BD released in the UK and FR only contains an incredibly awkward 93 min version which removes the film’s entire action packed climax where the plot is wrapped and several characters are killed, and just plays closing credits out of the blue before the film has reached any kind of conclusion.

Image Image

Guido & Maurizio De Angelis: "The Life of a Policeman": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcmLj6RaVhs
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Fast X (USA, 2023): 2.5/5

I've never seen any of this series and found this an overlong mess, with car chases, spectacular crazy stunts and explosions aplenty - it's a pretty stupid movie. But in a strange way I rather enjoyed it :oops: :D
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The Super Mario Bros. Movie (USA/Japan, 2023): 4/5
Lou Bloom
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by Lou Bloom »

Cliffhanger (1993) 3/5
Routine action movie, but enjoyable. Stallone was always good in these kinds of movies and John Lithgow is great as the villain.

Hard Rain (1998) 1/5
Pure garbage.

The French Connection (1971) 5/5
One of the best ever in my opinion. Friedkin's direction creates a mesmerizing picture, the car chase is legendary and Gene Hackman is on fire as the obsessed detective. Looks fantastic on blu ray.

No Mercy (1986) 3.5/5
Underrated neo noir with Richard Gere and Kim Basinger. The score is really good and the dialog was surprisingly well written.
Lou Bloom
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by Lou Bloom »

grim_tales wrote: 03 May 2023, 19:46 Taxi Driver (USA, 1976): 4.25/5

Is the ending real? The first time I saw this I wondered if the end is a dream and in Travis' head, or fantasy, because some say he died :confused:
I've always interpreted the ending as he lives and the letter he receives from the girl's parents is real. I think the last taxi ride with the other girl is his imagination. He's a hero and in his mind he's finally at a place where he deserves her and with no effort. Of course I don't know if that was the intention, but Schrader has said in several interviews "...and he becomes a hero" which suggests he ain't dead at least.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Thank you :)

The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958): 4/5

Entertaining family fantasy adventure
Lou Bloom
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by Lou Bloom »

The American Friend (1977) 4/5
Tom Ripley is a crooked art dealer who tries to convince a picture framer and family man that he's terminally ill and to become a hitman to leave money behind for his family. This is the second adaption of a Ripley novel after the excellent Purple Noon. Dennis Hopper is as good as Alain Delon, if not better as the manipulative, sociopathic con artist. Bruno Ganz also deliver a key performance in this subtle crime movie. Made in Germany by Wim Wenders the locations are carefully picked and the result is one intriguing story with complex characters and high stakes.

Caliber 9 (1972) 4/5
Fernando Di Leo's Italian crime flick is considered one of the best in the poliziottesco genre, and it's easy to see why. Criminal Ugo Piazza is released from prison and is accused of stealing money from his former associates while the police are trying to get him to work as an informant. A rich and complex plot with solid action scenes makes it a great movie. It's also cynical in accordance with the era and has a terrific ending.

8 Millions Ways to Die (1986) 2/5
Tarantino said he loves this movie. I say it's a mess. Based on a pretty good novel in a series by Lawrence Block (which I've read) it just doesn't measure up. The novel is much darker and more focused while the producers of the movie wanted a cheap knock-off of Miami Vice. Jeff Bridges is okay as Matt Scudder, but in no way was able to save this poor attempt. A Walk Among the Tombstones is a much better movie based on the same character and it captures the tone of the novel. Liam Neeson is also better suited as Scudder.

Z (1969) 3.5/5
Some would say it's the mother of all political thrillers, and that might be the case. It's also far from the best in the genre, mostly because it's incredibly wordy. I'd prefer more show and less tell. That said, it's an important and true story about political corruption in Greece (though it was made in France) and the consequences of military involvement in the state. It's shot in documentary style and influeced Friedkin before he made The French Connection. All in all I enjoyed it, but it's somewhat overrated for the reasons I mentioned.
Lou Bloom
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by Lou Bloom »

The Gambler (1974) 4.5/5
"For $10,000 they break your arms. For $20,000 they break your legs. Axel Freed owes $44,000". That's the tagline and pretty much says it all. Hands down the best movie about gambling that I've seen. James Caan is perfect in the role as the addict. Axel Freed is no simpleton, he's a university professor and an intelligent man. His weakness is gambling. In his own words: "If all my bets were safe there wouldn't be any juice". I gamble a bit myself and can relate. The ending is simply great, works on so many levels. Stunning, gritty movie with absolute realism.

Payback (1999) 4/5
Mel Gibson is perfect as the cynical gangster Porter who is looking for those who double-crossed him and left him for dead. At times it's hilarious with some quirky characters. I'm giving the theatrical version 4 and director's cut 3. Purists would claim otherwise, but neither Gibson nor the studio were happy with Brian Helgeland's version and for once I agree. Gibson took over and shot several scenes over again and the result is a better movie.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (USA, 2023): 3/5

Does what it says on the tin really. Entertaining stuff with giant robots fighting and blowing shit up, I didn't know all the characters as I wasn't into the franchise as a kid (giant robot ape and car that can turn invisble and stuff - huh?)