What Have You Just Ordered or Received?

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: What Have You Just Ordered or Received?

Post by HungFist »

grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Is Pole Fighter a new restoration compared to 88's release? Wondering if I should double dip :)
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

grim_tales wrote: 01 May 2022, 10:26 Is Pole Fighter a new restoration compared to 88's release? Wondering if I should double dip :)
Yes, it's a new scan without frame cuts, hence a couple of minutes longer than the 88 release.

If I were you, I'd wait for a screencap comparison. Arrow is almost certainly better (and not frame cut) but I don't know if the difference is enough to double dip. I never had the 88, just the French DVD.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Finally got this after... after buying it three times! The first seller didn't have it after all and cancelled my order. The second claimed to have shipped it, but it never arrived (waited for 4 months...). The third refused to ship abroad even though I explained step by step how much it would cost using this and that shipping method. Finally I got (that fore mentioned) copy via a friend in UK.

EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Just ordered some stuff from the Vinegar Syndrome "halfway to Black Friday sale":-

BD:-
Alley Cat
New York Ninja
Trauma
Resurrection
Angel 1, 2, 3

4K:-
Beastmaster
Dead Heat
Six-String Samurai
Ticks

4K, new releases not on sale:-
Thriller: A Cruel Picture
Death Wish 2

Death Wish 2 comes off like a random one, but then it seems that the first film has different rights holders from the rest of the series (i.e. DW1 = WB or Paramount, DW2-5 = MGM). We might see DW1 from Kino Lorber ones of these days, since they just inked a deal with Paramount (their first release will be Tropic Thunder 4K).

I bought the standard release of Thriller, which only seems to have the longer Swedish cut in 4K. The shorter English dub cut in 4K seems to be limited to the limited edition box release. I'm not too bother cuz fuck dubs and shorter, more censored versions.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

HungFist wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 11:56 Image
Is that the Studio Canal release of Prince of Darkness? Their release of their four Carpenter films (The Fog, PoD, EfNY, They Live) are totally barebones in 4K. I bought a cheapo compilation release of the four without 1080p BDs and was very disappointed to find this.

Normally I don't care much about extras these days but I value those great, old Carpenter commentaries. I might double-dip for the Shout Factory releases of these films.

The UK release of True Romance 4K seems to be completely OOP. I might try to get the US 4K due out in June.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

EvaUnit02 wrote: 29 May 2022, 20:20
HungFist wrote: 30 Apr 2022, 11:56
Is that the Studio Canal release of Prince of Darkness? Their release of their four Carpenter films (The Fog, PoD, EfNY, They Live) are totally barebones in 4K. I bought a cheapo compilation release of the four without 1080p BDs and was very disappointed to find this.

Normally I don't care much about extras these days but I value those great, old Carpenter commentaries. I might double-dip for the Shout Factory releases of these films.

The UK release of True Romance 4K seems to be completely OOP. I might try to get the US 4K due out in June.
That's the Shout Factory Prince of Darkness. Studio Canal master but it has a colour space error that affects the colours (reds in particular) (Shout's They Live suffers from the same error). Commentary and trailer / TV spot on the UHD, the rest of the extras are on the BD that comes along.

Odd to see True Romance gone. I'd assume they'll print more, unless there is an actual reason they can't. The availability has been poor before too, however, as I remember wanted order it some months earlier but Zavvi didn't have any at that time.
EvaUnit02 wrote: 29 May 2022, 20:00 I bought the standard release of Thriller, which only seems to have the longer Swedish cut in 4K. The shorter English dub cut in 4K seems to be limited to the limited edition box release. I'm not too bother cuz fuck dubs and shorter, more censored versions.
I have the Limited Edition on order. I'm actually looking forward to seeing the shorter version without all those close ups of Dirty Sven's ball sacks :lol:
Shame they didn't do custom Swedish audio for the short version. Would have been a nice extra. Or just offer a HC free cut in Swedish like Synapse did on DVD (that version was widely mistaken as being the original US cut... it wasn't). I'm not sure what I will make of the film. I had the HC version on DVD but sold it a decade ago. Somehow Vinegar convinced me to give it another chance...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

HungFist wrote: 30 May 2022, 14:41 Odd to see True Romance gone. I'd assume they'll print more, unless there is an actual reason they can't. The availability has been poor before too, however, as I remember wanted order it some months earlier but Zavvi didn't have any at that time.
I just pre-ordered the US release from Amazon, the steelbook specifically.

I also picked up in the same order:-
Heavy Metal 4K + Heavy Metal 2000 steelbook
Extreme Prejudice - a Walter Hill one I hadn't seen.
Charlies Bronson 4-pack from Mill Creek Entertainment. I got it for Hard Times by Walter Hill. The other films are The Valachi Papers, The Stone Killer, Breakout. I've seen experienced a Mill Creek release, if the transfers end up being shitty (eg potentially compression artefacts) I'm not going to be torn up about it, since it was only $10 USD.

Other recent orders:-

Zavvi:-
Wild Things 4K steelbook (Arrow)
Donnie Darko 4K (Arrow)
Drive 4K (Second Sight)
Lawrence of Arabia 4K steelbook (Sony)
Bridge on the River Kwai 4K steelbook (Sony)
The Shawshank Redemption 4K steelbook (WB)

On the subject of Arrow they're finally putting out a standard edition of American Werewolf in London 4K, I might get it. Only other copy that I have of this is an old Universal HD-DVD/DVD combo flipper. Those days were fun.

Big pain in the ass to play HD-DVDs these days, got to plug in my dedicated player. Almost all of the titles I have on HD-DVD I've double-dipped for 4Ks or BDs.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Heh, Vinegar Syndrome emailed me a $5 off coupon so I added a couple more titles to the order from the sale:-
Maniac (1981) 4K - Looks like a fairly well done slasher in the vein of Friday the 13th.
Rebels of the Neon God (1992) - the blu-ray.com forum thread recommended this. The filmmaker was reportedly heavily inspired by Wong Kar Wai.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Ordered Skinny Tiger Fatty Dragon from Eureka - never seen it before (or don't remember as it was a long time ago)
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

New addition to bookshelf: Norifumi Suzuki's トラック野郎風雲録 (2010). No idea when I will have time to actually read it, but I can say it's packed with great photos, and not just Truck Yaro related stuff but all things Suzuki, from Yakuza Films to Pinky Violence and Chiba.

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Visiting Finland for the first time in three years, picking up stuff I had ordered there over the past few years.

(all are BDs, despite some being in DVD size cases)
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

BD upgrades

I only took a quick look but both look like decent releases. Genuine HD and proper audio. Sex and Zen 2 is 2.0, Eternal Rose is 5.1 BUT without any added sound effects. I watched my old Eternal Rose DVD with mono audio a few weeks ago, and I'd say the BD audio sounds just the same.

Still, I'm sure 88 or Eureka could do better job IF they ever released these. I decided not to wait till these are gone.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Toho's new Kiyoshi Nishimura releases:
- Target of Roses (1972)
- Too Young to Die (1969)
- Attack to the Sun (1970)

I rarely buy DVDs these days, but had to pick these up since there's not much hope of them going BD unless a Western distributor wakes up and picks them up. Which really needs to happen. The world doesn't even know there existed a movement called "Toho New Action" in the late 60s/early 70s that produced some incredible films. Hairpin Circus (1972) (often referred to as the Japanese Vanishing Point) and A Creature Called Man (1970) (basically a blueprint for the late 80s John Woo heroic bloodshed films) are two other Nishimura films that really need a Western release.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Good thing I picked up Arrow's Sailor Suit and Machine Gun! I got it for 9£ + shipping £4 which is the equivalent of 2200 yen. Then I sold my Japanese BD and got 2600 yen for it! The Arrow has everything the JP BD has (*) + exclusive 50 min interview featurette and booklet. Actually the booklet was worth the price alone for the Hiroko Yakushimaru and Kiyoshi Kurosawa discussion. You rarely see such frank talk and criticism about about a director who is pretty much considered 2nd to God.

* Arrow does omit the scaled down replica of the theatrical pamphlet, but that's ok since I own the original full size pamphlet anyway :lol:
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

The Way of the Dragon JP Ultimate Edition for the extended Japanese cut of the film.

I’m not a steel book collector, but these look beautiful and were only $13 each. Both UHD.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Christmas viewing!

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Was wondering what films are in the Sonny Chiba set, Hung? Is it just Executioner 1 and 2?