How is the 12 Monkeys Blu Ray?

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

How is the 12 Monkeys Blu Ray?

Post by grim_tales »

Hey,
Has anyone got any BD (US/UK) of 12 Monkeys? Are they the same as each other transfer/video wise or is one better than the other one?

I've heard the UK one is not a very good transfer (very grainy etc) but maybe thats to do with the way the film was shot?
The old UK DVD doesnt look very good at all.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: How is the 12 Monkeys Blu Ray?

Post by bradavon »

My USA HD-DVD is pretty grainy. Universal tend to just re-use the HD-DVD up the bitrate and add DTS-HD MA. It's essentially the same transfer.

Surely the UK BD "is" the USA BD but with BBFC logos on the cover.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

You're probably right, I just wanted to be sure re the UK/USA BD :)
Ray_Rogers
Little White Dragon

Post by Ray_Rogers »

bradavon wrote:My USA HD-DVD is pretty grainy. Universal tend to just re-use the HD-DVD up the bitrate and add DTS-HD MA. It's essentially the same transfer.

Surely the UK BD "is" the USA BD but with BBFC logos on the cover.
Grainy is a good thing since oh let's say the filmmakers shot this on film instead of overprocessed shit video. So if it keeps the film grain that's much better in comparison to a release which had an over-exuberance of DVNR and EE shit. I own the USA Blu-ray and it looks great. :thumbs:
Film grain times infinity > DVNR/EE mess.
I'm back AGAIN.
Film grain is a good thing dammit! Say NO to DNR/EE!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I used to think the opposite but after seeing DNR/EE at its worse, I now completely agree. Leave it the fuck alone!
Ray_Rogers
Little White Dragon

Post by Ray_Rogers »

UPDATE: The remastered BD released by ARROW is completely awesome. There's no need to own the Universal BD any longer. I've the UK BD of the ARROW since 2019.
I'm back AGAIN.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Ray_Rogers wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 23:24 UPDATE: The remastered BD released by ARROW is completely awesome. There's no need to own the Universal BD any longer. I've the UK BD of the ARROW since 2019.
Arrow have started putting out 4K BDs, so I'm a bit reluctant to start buying their 1080p BD releases.
Ray_Rogers
Little White Dragon

Post by Ray_Rogers »

EvaUnit02 wrote: 02 Apr 2021, 08:41
Ray_Rogers wrote: 01 Apr 2021, 23:24 UPDATE: The remastered BD released by ARROW is completely awesome. There's no need to own the Universal BD any longer. I've the UK BD of the ARROW since 2019.
Arrow have started putting out 4K BDs, so I'm a bit reluctant to start buying their 1080p BD releases.
Honestly wouldn't mind getting a 4K disc released by ARROW. Of course the year I bought the current BD is also a factor and seems to be an alright amount of time.
I'm back AGAIN.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Ray_Rogers wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 03:34
Honestly wouldn't mind getting a 4K disc released by ARROW. Of course the year I bought the current BD is also a factor and seems to be an alright amount of time.
I waited on buying Robocop on BD and Arrow recently announced a 4K disc of it. I pre-ordered the shit out of a steelbook copy off Zavvi.