Nowhere Girl (Mamoru Oshii, 2015)

China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand, etc
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Nowhere Girl (Mamoru Oshii, 2015)

Post by HungFist »

Nowhere Girl (Tôkyô Mukokuseki Shôjo) (2015)

I saw Nowhere Girl (Tokyo mukokuseki shojo) in theatre yesterday and it was pretty interesting. The trailer didn't look good but that might be because it's an extremely difficult movie to advertise. More about that in a moment.

Nana Seino (from Tokyo Tribe) stars as an art school student who suffers from post traumatic stress disorder. She's being bullied by other students, her teachers are growing sick of the situation, and she seems to be going crazy. But there's more than meets the eye, and she's more than a little dangerous, as proved by a certain ultra-violent sequence near the end.

What we have here is an ultra-slow paced, highly arthouse esque film. I can understand some audiences will be bored to death, and the guy in front of me slept half of the movie, but I found it relatively interesting. It works when Seino is in the frame; not when she isn't. And then we have an ending that should not be spoiled, and indeed, the trailer doesn't spoil it either. But it is a very satisfying ending indeed.

Before the final act there also a pretty long, bloody sequence that suffers from some unfortunate CGI blood, but it's a little less distracting than usual and there's also practical effects. And Seino is very impressive in it!

So, absolutely not for all audiences, and I can imagine those fans of Oshii to whom his name only equals to Ghost in the Shell complaining (again). But I've always thought his live action work was interesting (Stray Dogs is my favourite; a fantastic movie) and found this to be pretty good as well. And, oh well, maybe a few more people will see it if I mention it includes uncensored female full frontal nudity. Unfortunately not Seino. There's the real disappointment!

Trailer:
https://youtu.be/UKZ5ohS389I

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Nowhere Girl (Mamoru Oshii, 2015)

Post by HungFist »

Here's another trailer for Nowhere Girl. I'm a little hesitant to post this because I feel it gives away too much. The film basically has two great acts at the end, and this one spoils the first one of them but not the second. But it is sure to sell the film better (and you'll understand my praise for Seino). The earlier trailer doesn't spoil either one and is a pretty safe viewing.

So, at your own risk.

https://youtu.be/ISExrz56YG4
Guro Taku
King of Beggars

Post by Guro Taku »

Three cover variants for the German DVD release currently scheduled for the end of 2020:

Before anyone asks: German subtitles only!
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Why isn't this on BD anywhere?

When I got back into movie collecting about 1.5 years ago I went looking for Oshii films on BD. I couldn't find even a Jpn BD release for this.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

Woah, EvaUnit02! What a blast from the past!
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Yeah, it's been like what, 10 years?

And correct, no BD even in Japan. Never realized that before. Maybe because Toei is handling this one, and they're not BD crazy? Just a guess.
Panino
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by Panino »

HungFist wrote: 02 Aug 2015, 18:12 And then we have an ending that should not be spoiled, and indeed, the trailer doesn't spoil it either. But it is a very satisfying ending indeed.
Any poster of this movie spoils the ending, you yourself did to some degree.
It's not hard to imagine.