I've just got banned from KFC!

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: I've just got banned from KFC!

Post by Markgway »

Some of the mods on that site are self-important arseholes who think the power to ban people on a whim makes them big cheeses. The rules are ridiculously strict and almost never applied equally or fairly. And you can't even complain or appeal because they do the banning anonymously and cut off your access to the site completely. Users have no comeback and are entirely at the mercy of this army of volunteers.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

In the dying world of forums BD.Com is an excellent site and definitely the best around for it's subject matter. It's massively popular worldwide so with that popularity comes a greater amount of dick users. I don't post much there but it's the site i visit most regularly. I wouldn't take a banning to heart, it's like a badge of honour over there. Shingsters often hit with the ban hammer isn't he
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yes, on the whole Bluray.com is an excellent site, but that's a bit like saying China is a great country, so who cares if a few pro-democracy journalists disappear? The forum, though useful, is fundamentally flawed, and run like a fascist state. Fact is, I don't know who banned me, and have no right of appeal. How can that possibly be right? You're right, there's little to no competition when it comes to film forums, and beggars can't be choosers. But I refuse to pretend that their behaviour is acceptable. If you haven't been banned yourself, it's only probably because you don't post much. Get involved in any debate and you're running a risk. I've lost count of the times I've had fair posts deleted (again, something they do on the sly, so only the few that saw them know). Shingster was banned, but he's had enough, and I don't blame him for not going back - BDCOM has lost many knowledgeable participants over the years, including people who actually work in the industry!
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

I was actually suspended for a week there once for taking the piss out of someone who owned multiple copies of Jackie Chan/Bruce Lee titles. It was harmless but the poster was offended so i guess he reported me :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Well, there you go.

When my ban is up I will return, but may not participate in any future debate.
Bluray.com is not a place for debate, it's a place for following simple-minded rules and droning on about slipcases.
In fact, I'd ban anyone who moans about slipcases... but wait, that's a bit fascist, isn't it? ;)
Viva la slipcases! Viva la freedom! :D
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I think I've only been banned five or six times over on Bluray.com, but they ramp up the length of the banning with each subsequent ban, so the last time I got banned I was out for just under a month. I guess that's why it might seem like I get banned a lot.

The reasons for a number of my bannings have been pretty arbitrary and sometimes completely petty. The first three times were legit reasons though. The last time I got banned I was essentially retroactively banned over a month after the fact for making "political comments" in the BlacKkKlansman thread. How the hell do you discuss that film without touching on anything political FFS? The whole thread is essentially a honeypot for the mods to ban folk! No-one took offense to my comments at the time and it was part of a very respectful discussion on the relevancy of the themes of the film. It just sums up how easy it is to run afoul over there.

I know I told Mark at the time that I was never gonna post again and that I would just lurk, but I have recently been making one or two posts every now and then. I decided I didn't want to give the dickhead who banned me the satisfaction of running me off. I figured I could do that for a bit and then leave entirely, weaning me off. It's a shame because BR.com really is the only properly active general film forum left these days.

I saw Mark's post that got him banned and it was pretty innocuous. I figured at worse they would just give him a 48hr "cooldown" ban. If he had posted the same comment anywhere other than the Movies forum I think it would have just been ignored tbh as I've said worse about mod decisions elsewhere, but there really seems to be some pettyjobsworths working the Movie forum over there - or perhaps just a single petty mod banning people left and right.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yeah, I'm staying out of the Movies forum.

Between the mods/censors and the Social Justice Warriors (TM) it's a minefield.

Part of the problem for me is that you can get banned for things that aren't offensive. Thus, it's really impossible to know what's going to upset which (anonymous) mod? All it needs is for one of them to take a dislike to you and that's it. You have no comeback, no arbitration. Give unquestioned power to 100 people and 99 of them will abuse it.

I'm starting to think the only reason people talk so much about slipcases is because it's the one topic that you can't get banned for. Probably.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Markgway wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 01:03 I'm starting to think the only reason people talk so much about slipcases is because it's the one topic that you can't get banned for. Probably.
:lol:

I think if you deleted all case, price and release date related posts, you'd lose about 97% of the Bluray.com's posts.

I was bit too hard on the site in my previous post - yes, there is very good information to be found - but I'm really frustrated with these 173 page threads that contain maybe 10 pages of relevant film and BD quality discussion and 163 pages of above mentioned content. A few weeks before a disc's release date is the worst, with 19 pages of nothing but "my order has shipped / not shipped" posts...
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The discussion in the CRUISING topic has turned to '(anal) fisting'.

I wonder how long that'll last?! :D
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I see they're still fisting in that thread!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Amazing, really. I bet it's not been closed for fear of accusations of homophobia. Because as we know that's all gay people do is fist each other. ;)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Guess what? Been banned again.
Reason given this time by anonymous fascist, er, mod:
"Get this straight... Knock it off or find another forum. We've had just about enough of your nonsense."
Note the "we've". Apparently this clown speaks for everyone.
I'll never know who it is, because I'm dealing with a coward.
The irony is, in my last, no doubt now deleted post, I asked for help, because I felt I was being treated unfairly.
Evidence, anyone? This also proves, from the wording, that it's the same mod who's targeting me.
This all started because someone brought up bilingual slipcovers, and I committed the heinous sin of joking about them.
I know, I should have learnt by now that bluray.com is no place for humour... or mature debate.
I said something along the lines of "it's the French being French... it's crazy to list the same one-word title twice (the word being the same)"
According to some arsewipe named Ross T.G. this was "racist" and my post was removed.
I pointed out that it couldn't be racist because the French aren't a race.
The poster then compared the French to black people(!) which I thought was ludicrous.
This now made me an obnoxious racist.
I asked if he (Ross) never made jokes about anyone foreign, and he replied yes, but I wasn't allowed to do so, because he didn't respect me.
By now I was pretty pissed off at being called names, so I told him this was unacceptable behaviour.
And... my post was deleted. MY post ALONE. Every mean thing Ross said was allowed to remain.
I complained about this and asked what I was supposed to do when under verbal attack?
That's the last thing I said before the ban.
Anyone who saw the episode would know I didn't deserve it, but the climate over there is such that everyone is afraid to speak out.
Honestly, it's the most censorious forum I've ever been a member of, and moderated by bullies.
But they have free reign and nothing can be done. There's no reporting them, no appeal.
It's ruined what should be the best forum on the internet.
I said the last time that I would stay out of the Movies forum and I did.
Well, this cocksucker is not chasing me out of the UHD forum, but I am no longer going to engage in any non-technical debate.
I will discuss technical aspects of UHDs and Blu-rays and that's it.
I'll take what knowledge I can get and contribute as little as possible.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Well, this is interesting... looks like Ross T.G. got banned, too.
For what? By whom?
Doesn't change the appalling way I've been treated, but at least this time the person who caused it got punished, too.
His posts have been deleted, along with mine, natch.
Although you can still see some of his comments in post quotes.
The number of jokes about me being Scottish I've had over the years, and have I ever reacted like that?
What a nasty little twerp.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Ross T.G. is back. His ban was evidently a three-day ban. Mine was seven days. Not bad considering he started the trouble and made shit personal. I've never been the abuser. Maybe that's my mistake. I should start shit and then sit back whist others take the fall. Worth considering.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Damn, I missed all the action! I didn't notice you got banned again Mark, as you say there's nothing you can do when this happens and the mods there definitely have a tendency to either play favourites or just somehow completely overlook offending posts while deleting others.

I kinda feel like there should be some form of ban count in your UserCP so you can figure out how many times you've been banned given that with each new banning the amount of time they ban you for can ramp up considerably. They ban so many people so often for such frivolous nonsense that it would actually be a useful feature. I think I've been banned about 5 times now, not sure exactly, but I reckon that's right give or take one. You'll be overtaking me at this rate!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I'm now employing the user block function. It's always been my preference to fight my own corner, but bluray.com is not a forum where that can be done fairly, so I've been left with no choice but to censor anyone who tries to provoke me into getting yet another ban.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I've always been against ignore lists just on principal, but I must admit Blu-ray.com is probably the one place that practically begs you to start using it. The problem with ignore lists though is when a member decides to take your comments completely out of context, play the victim and practically campaign for moderator assistance by wrongly representing your posts as malicious and offensive. Magic Monkey is a clear offender in this regard, recently trying to make it look like I was calling him a Nazi for arguing about spoilers! As much as I would love to ignore him, I'm glad I spotted that post so I could clarify my stance. Probably would have ended up with a ban for that.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Magic Monkey is a pain in the arse and always looking to stir shit. He used to post on KFF as RogueWarrior. The likes of Chen Lung should tell him to piss off.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Oh yeah for sure, but seeing as chen's now posting as a kind of pseudo representative of 88Films as a contributor to these releases, if he did tell anyone to piss off you can bet Magic and other members over there will jump on him and slag 88Films off for insulting their customers, etc. I've seen that happen with the likes of Scorpion and whatnot where the fans just bitch and bitch and bitch until a representative snaps and then they just pile on that poor sap, so chen deserves a medal for remaining polite and staying out of the firing line! :D
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

One beef I have with KFC (pun intended)...I get a shed load of notifications and very rarely is it people commenting on my posts,it's just the poster DragonsClaws reacting to every single damn post on the forum!
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I appear to have got myself BANNED again.

"You have been banned for the following reason:
How many warnings does it take? Political and religious discussion are against site rules. And don't complain about the moderation's "bias". You're not the only one getting a timeout.

Date the ban will be lifted: 06-26-2020, 05:00 PM"

Of course the cowardly mod (like there's any other kind) remains anonymous as usual. And you can tell by the content and tone it is personal. One month is more than just a "timeout". The forum's moderation has always been bullshit. But without right of reply what can be done? Strange thing is the discussion in question (which I presume was about that idiot complaining about Hollywood action movies being racist) was deleted yesterday. So why ban me today? Well after the fact. Give an asshole a modicum of power and you can be sure they will always abuse it. The irony is that mods contribute less to that forum than anyone else. When was the last time you saw a useful post from a mod?

It's crazy, because I didn't even post anything offensive. People comment about politics and religion all the time, and the discussion gets removed, sure, but people don't usually get month-long bans for it. Each time I get a ban it's more and more frivolous. The time before last (a few months back) it was for going off-topic! I'm definitely being targeted, and by the same mod, judging by the tone and familiarity of their admonishment.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

The problem with that place is that one of their main reviewers, Dr Svet, is nakedly political, pro Trumpian, and an all round idiot.

Can't review for toffee either.
bradavon wrote:
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

What happened to Shingster?
bradavon wrote:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

He quit that forum.