Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Post by Markgway »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJnMQG9ev8

I'm pissed about them not using Mel Gibson again as an older Max... and the CGI caused me to cry a little on the inside. :(
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Re: Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

Post by luckystars »

I'm open minded

Can't wait for this one
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

there's been a positive buzz surrounding this one so here's hoping. i want to see a new movie that'll stand up to repeat viewings,rarely happens these days.can't remember the last time i bought a new release movie on BD,99% of my sporadic buys are back catalogue now.
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

saltysam wrote:there's been a positive buzz surrounding this one so here's hoping.
It has the right design.... but the CGI... man, back in the day crazy Aussie stuntmen risked life and limb to thrill us... and now? They're replaced by 21st century cartoons? Explosions, blood spurts, and all manner of flying shit (including humans) that are more Cut Scene than Mad Max. The original trilogy was so pure in its stuntwork that it actually pains me to watch that trailer.
i want to see a new movie that'll stand up to repeat viewings,rarely happens these days.can't remember the last time i bought a new release movie on BD,99% of my sporadic buys are back catalogue now.
I hear that. Even the occasional good movie I see is unlikely something I'll go back to. The only movie from last year that I'll pick up (when the price is right) is A Walk Among the Tombstones.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Post by Masterofoneinchpunch »

Markgway wrote: ... I hear that. Even the occasional good movie I see is unlikely something I'll go back to. The only movie from last year that I'll pick up (when the price is right) is A Walk Among the Tombstones.
I'm going to pick up that as well when the price is right. I enjoyed seeing that in the theater.

I will watch the new Mad Max, but I'm a bit wary for some of the same reasons Mark stated. In my mind I just do not see CGI. I grew up with the original three and had seen several times (though none of them I have seen on DVD or BD.) But I'm a Tom Hardy fan so I will see if it will win me over.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Great trailer. Can't see what the fuss is about
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i like this :P

pic upload
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I was a bit worried this wouldn't live up to the hype, but it pretty much does. I don't quite understand some of the complaints about CGI. Yes, there is (mostly very well made) CGI, but the film is incredibly physical with shitloads of incredible vehicles and real destruction. The focus is almost never on the CGI. It's also a charmingly simple movie with a tight plot stripped of any unnecessary crap - something that most action movies these days get wrong. It's beautifully edited and shot for the most part, too: you can tell exactly what's going on. Hardy is excellent as Max, and Theron is phenomenal. The bad: some under cranking in a few scenes and, well, it still could have done without a couple of CGI shots.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I never got around to seeing it in the cinema... just couldn't muster the enthusiasm. I know it's perhaps unfair, but the CGI in the trailer soured me, and I couldn't get that out of my head. Why use CGI at all? Mad Max 2 is an action classic without ANY CGI. Do the filmmakers think that a 2015 audience can't handle a 100% practical movie or that we're too ignorant to notice it? I WILL check the film out sometime, but I know that the CGI in any event will mar the experience no matter how good the rest is.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Like i said in the review thread this pretty much lives up to the hype.i'm a jaded fan left disappointed by most recent action movies but this one is great.lots of practical action and i can't say the cgi bothered me at all.probably the first "new" film i've seen this year i'll pick up on disc.in a world when $200 million budgets are being spent on pretentious shite like Jupiter Ascending this is a breath of fresh air.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I was watching some behind the scenes clips thinking is this a dummy or a dead man? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9irV9P ... e&t=11m38s
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Haha, I just found out Immortan Joe is voiced by Riki Takeuchi in the Japanese dubbed version of Fury Road!

- http://madmaxmoviejp.tumblr.com/post/116319390027
Xenon
Pedicab Driver

Post by Xenon »

Did Margway watched this? How much did he hate it? For whatever reason I really wanna know.

P.S. I need to re-watch this sometime... And then re-watch it again in Japanese :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Hate is too strong a word. I just didn't like it. Saturated in CGI, whatever genuine stunts there were got lost for me. I didn't believe any of it. The fact that (almost) everyone else loved it, proved to me that I just don't care for modern action movies and they way they're made. I'll have to accept that. Oh, and Tom Hardy is no Mel Gibson.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Here's some non-CGI footage for Mark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfm4gvxNW_o

I do get what you're saying, though. I also wish they had done less tweaking in the post production.

I had this problem with Furious 7, where the image looked so artificial with all the added CGI that I often mistook real stunts as computer effects.