Getting shut of unwanted DVD/CD'S..would you give them away?

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Getting shut of unwanted DVD/CD'S..would you give them away?

Post by bradavon »

I tend to get about £3/3.50 per disc on average. I work on that it all adds up, selling many but I really meant I'd live with £1, instead of 40p. Thanks again.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

This site is launching this month
http://www.grabbabox.com/

and there is now http://www.priceminister.co.uk/info/home?t=1378140

the options to get rid of unwanted discs is widening :clap:
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

How many sites and weeks do you persevere Salty?

I've listed my DVDs on eBay twice (two 7 day listings) and now have put the remaining 36 (from 120 originally) on Play.com. I'll leave them there for 10 days (60 days is ridiculous). If they fail there, I'll try Filmvault.co.uk or Musicmagpie.com (mostly because by this point I'd want rid) and if that fails give them away.

After a month of trying to shift my DVDs I'll have no energy to try "another" site.

How have you worked out how to send a big box of DVDs? In a way I prefer single disc sales, as at least I know how to actually post those.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

With filmvault i had an empty box that my daughter's stereo came in.i just loaded the dvds into there,taped them up,put the ddress on & the courier came and collected.If you have no luck with play i'd just send your list to filmvault,you won't get much but the unwanted discs will be gone in one go and you'll have a bit of cash to maybe pick up a few BD's :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Good idea Salty. I didn't realise they use a courier. That makes it much, much easier.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I worked out Euro postage wrong for two DVDs and after costs + postage I made literally 1p each for them. Ha ha oops. Even less if I'm taking into account the envelopes/bubble-wrap I bought.

I've amended my other £2/€2.18 listings, to £2.50/€2.73, so I'll at least make something. This means they'll not likely sell, with other people selling them for less than £2. Which I cannot understand at all, they're losing money. At least it didn't cost me. I don' think I'll bother with Play.com again. The cost of DVDs on there is so low, I've made about £16 for 7 discs. Which only averages out at about £2.20-2.50 a disc as the odd one went for £4.

I'll use eBay from now on and then send what doesn't sell to Filmvault. I could've just listed those on Play.com that were a decent price (and not the sub £2 ones) but I decided to give it ago listing them all. It was worth a try though.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've received word back from Film Vault. It's a really long e-mail and very surprising to receive such a personal response. She apologises about 4 times for not being able to help me. The important part however says:

"Welcome back and thank you very much for your further listing of DVD’s and CD's and 1 HD for potential sale to us.

Each title that you have listed has again been thoroughly checked and cross-referenced for you but on this occasion and very unfortunately 29 of the 36 titles, despite an excellent range, have been assessed as being completely saturated within the general market and as a consequence of very little defined/specific value at this precise moment in time.

We find ourselves in the most unenviable position of being unable to calculate a professional valuation for you nor make a respectable offer despite our every wish to do so especially given you are an existing customer. I really am so sorry."

They seem to think I've used them before. I haven't. Anyhow, it shows they don't take all titles.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I listed 27 of the 26 titles on Music Magic Pie (the rest it couldn't find) and it came to £18.50 (so nothing basically). The vast majority were only going for 30p each but 5 of the 36 titles, make up the bulk of the £18.50 (£9.80), so I'll sell those 5 and give the remaining 30 titles away.

I'm bored of listing them individually but next time I'll give Priceminister a go. Personally I found Play.com mostly a waste of time but at least it's free to list on Play!
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i got a cheque for 81 pound from filmvault the other day. i actually sold a dvd on priceminister the other day,Death Race at 5.15 (sorry,i am in Spain no pound sign on the keyboard) completely forgot i had listed it and have already sold it elsewhere.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Doh! Have you had any other success with Price Minister?

£81 nice! What titles did you sell? You must have some really rare ones. Mine weren't "that" common. How many titles was it?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Getting shut of unwanted DVD/CD'S..would you give them a

Post by saltysam »

i'm still using musicmagpie.though they have a bizarre pricing system (they'll give me 30p for some titles i'd consider ok,then £3 for shite) i semi-regularly send them a few discs for which i get a check a couple of weeks later.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Anyone used these? i read elsewhere they give a bit more than the likes of musicmagpie http://www.turnintocash.com/...ok i've just scanned three dvds through them then magpie,on all three this new site offered more (ie Lion King platinum £3 MM £5.10 Turnintocash)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Whats the minimum number of things you can trade with them? Might give them a go as I have a few things to trade, I'll give em to CEX otherwise.
:)
Magpie used to have a minimum of 5 items and now its 10 - grrr :(
Edit: Theyre the same.. hmmm.
I might compare prices later :D
Edit again: Turnintocash certainly offer a bit more than Magpie do :D
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

I've sold/got rid of a lot of stuff this year.

Carboot
£1 to £3 for DVDs - easy and good sellers, even R1 stuff
50p to £2.50 for CDs - easy and good sellers
£1 to £7 for console games - easy and sellout of everything!!

With all of those I've kept premium/collectors stuff for selling online (just a few items anyway)

Selling to workmates
I raised £35 so far selling CDs to a mate at work. Dont rule it out!

The rest. To be honest I don't even care what I get for (the crappiest stuff will probably go to a charity shop). The carboots I did were loads of fun, you meet a lot of people who are into film and it's healthier than all the fuss online. Once I got all the stuff out and the cash was rolling in, the stuff ceased to be important to me and I could've given it away at the end!
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Today Turnintocash's prices for what I had for trade seem less than yesterday :?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Weirdly with Turnintocash - the prices change if I'm logged in or not :?
If I dont log in Shrek 2 disc R1 is £1.18 but when I log in and add to my trade list its £0.78? :?
Still better than Magpie however.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Got an email from these this morning...i've never used them,not sure why i am on their mailing list..maybe worth a look

http://www.cash4discs.co.uk/?utm_source ... dium=email