Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: What general film/series have you just seen.. marks out

Post by gasteropod »

Black Snake Moan (2006) - 3/5
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:but an almost total mess, with muddled, extreme left politics that hypocritically advocate the very extreme right "solutions" (bombing, torture, and execution) the anti-heroes condemn from others. Bizarre.
Leftie ideologies with right wing action makes it look cooler.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Leftie ideologies with right wing action makes it look cooler.
No, it just makes it look stupid and inconsistant.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Markgway wrote:V for Vendetta (2006-USA-UK-Germany) *½

Simple-minded, heavy-handed adaptation of Alan Moore's graphic novel (from the makers of The Matrix) is certainly interesting, but an almost total mess, with muddled, extreme left politics that hypocritically advocate the very extreme right "solutions" (bombing, torture, and execution) the anti-heroes condemn from others. Bizarre.
I doubt opposing fascism is considered 'extreme left-wing'.

Also, who has claimed violence and terrorism is only an 'extreme-right' solution!? Why wouldn't left-wingers be 'allowed' to use violence and terrorism to reach their goals?
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i liked V For Vendetta.good movie.
working class blu-ray fan
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

saltysam wrote:i liked V For Vendetta.good movie.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yi-Long wrote:I doubt opposing fascism is considered 'extreme left-wing'.
Have you seen the movie? It isn't merely about opposing facism - something any right-thinking person would support - but a celebration of anarchy as solution. The film starts with the Old Bailey being blown up and ends with the Houses of Parliment blown to smithereens - and this clearly meant to be a good thing. The terrorist wins. 'V' (our anti-hero) is every bit as violent and destructive as any boo! hiss! conservative-type; but it's OK because he likes gay people (the bit with Stephen Fry and the Quo'ran was truly risible... as if Islam is the defender of homosexuals(!).) 'V' doesn't change society through thought-provoking debate and reason, he slices throats and blows shit up. This is a dumb blockbuster masquerading as an intellectual think-piece. Even Alan Moore hated it for its dumbed-down distortion of his provocative ideas. We aren't allowed to question the morals of V's actions, the rights and wrongs of this society, as originally intended. What we get is one-dimensional panto-villains and a terrorist for a hero. Is 'V' any different than the 9/11 bombers? They felt justified in their actions... by any means necessary as long as it suits an ideology. And anyone who disagrees deserves to die. Left-wing terrorism equals good. Right wing terrorism equals bad. Simples. No balance, no ambiguity, just another mindless piece of Hollywood pap that thinks of itself as cutting edge but bears no realation to reality.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Markgway wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:I doubt opposing fascism is considered 'extreme left-wing'.
Have you seen the movie? It isn't merely about opposing facism - something any right-thinking person would support - but a celebration of anarchy as solution. The film starts with the Old Bailey being blown up and ends with the Houses of Parliment blown to smithereens - and this clearly meant to be a good thing. The terrorist wins. 'V' (our anti-hero) is every bit as violent and destructive as any boo! hiss! conservative-type; but it's OK because he likes gay people (the bit with Stephen Fry and the Quo'ran was truly risible... as if Islam is the defender of homosexuals(!).) 'V' doesn't change society through thought-provoking debate and reason, he slices throats and blows shit up. This is a dumb blockbuster masquerading as an intellectual think-piece. Even Alan Moore hated it for its dumbed-down distortion of his provocative ideas. We aren't allowed to question the morals of V's actions, the rights and wrongs of this society, as originally intended. What we get is one-dimensional panto-villains and a terrorist for a hero. Is 'V' any different than the 9/11 bombers? They felt justified in their actions... by any means necessary as long as it suits an ideology. And anyone who disagrees deserves to die. Left-wing terrorism equals good. Right wing terrorism equals bad. Simples. No balance, no ambiguity, just another mindless piece of Hollywood pap that thinks of itself as cutting edge but bears no realation to reality.
1: So because Islam isn't the defender of homosexuals, a gay character can't be a collector and mention that he has a rare quo'ran lying around!? Seriously!?

It is there JUST to show that stuff like religion and homo-sexuality and lots of other 'controversial' stuff is banned from that society.

2: You mention he doesn't win the people's support by debate and reason, but as you might have noticed, that society is already far past that point where that would be possible without getting 'removed' from society. Hence the story about protesters being dragged out of their houses.

At some point, 'terrorism' is the only solution left to fight the oppression, cause all other options have already been wiped off the table by those who oppress!
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

fuuuckk... Fellini's 8½ proved more painful than Sonny Chiba's fists, so to ease the pain I started browsing the forums while the film was on... then I fell asleep with the (computer) mouse in my hand, and dreamed of finishing reading Mark's post while V for Vendetta was playing on TV. Then I woke up, finished 8½ with the help of dinner and fast-forward, and started writing a death threat to Fellini only to realize he's been dead and buried for 18 years. Bastard.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yi-Long wrote:1: So because Islam isn't the defender of homosexuals, a gay character can't be a collector and mention that he has a rare quo'ran lying around!? Seriously!? It is there JUST to show that stuff like religion and homo-sexuality and lots of other 'controversial' stuff is banned from that society.
You know perfectly well there's more to it than that. Nothing in this film is shown or said by accident. The only reference to Christianity is via a paedophile bishop... but Islam is admired for its poetry. Any conservative is an evil scumbag... etc. This film is about a subtle as a sledge hammer to the face.
You mention he doesn't win the people's support by debate and reason, but as you might have noticed, that society is already far past that point where that would be possible without getting 'removed' from society. Hence the story about protesters being dragged out of their houses.
So is terrorism the answer like this film seems to think? It doesn't ASK the question... it TELLS us that it is. There's no doubt whatsoever that V is our saviour and if he deems it necessary to kill and bomb so be it. At no point are we meant to question if what he's doing may just be the teensiest bit immoral.
At some point, 'terrorism' is the only solution left to fight the oppression, cause all other options have already been wiped off the table by those who oppress!
Is that a quote from Osama Bin Laden? Just wondering...
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Markgway wrote:
Yi-Long wrote:1: So because Islam isn't the defender of homosexuals, a gay character can't be a collector and mention that he has a rare quo'ran lying around!? Seriously!? It is there JUST to show that stuff like religion and homo-sexuality and lots of other 'controversial' stuff is banned from that society.
You know perfectly well there's more to it than that. Nothing in this film is shown or said by accident. The only reference to Christianity is via a paedophile bishop... but Islam is admired for its poetry. Any conservative is an evil scumbag... etc. This film is about a subtle as a sledge hammer to the face.
Apparently you got a huge pro-islam message from this movie, which I seemed to have missed somehow...

Perhaps you're overexaggerating due to some islam-phobia, seeing stuff that isn't there? Somehow it's left-wing propaganda when a character in the movie mentions the Koran has some nice poetry in it, which has been banned...!?

It just explains why the guy likes the book, mentioning something positive about it to kinda oppose the banning of the book...
You mention he doesn't win the people's support by debate and reason, but as you might have noticed, that society is already far past that point where that would be possible without getting 'removed' from society. Hence the story about protesters being dragged out of their houses.
So is terrorism the answer like this film seems to think? It doesn't ASK the question... it TELLS us that it is. There's no doubt whatsoever that V is our saviour and if he deems it necessary to kill and bomb so be it. At no point are we meant to question if what he's doing may just be the teensiest bit immoral.
The movie shows the people understanding the actions V does, and thus it's an accepted answer to that society. And he goes after those who oppress others, and are responsible for much suffering. Nothing wrong with that. Most movies are following that same premise of 'an eye for an eye'.
Is that a quote from Osama Bin Laden? Just wondering...
[/quote]

No, it isn't. Stop pretending it's a black/white issue.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The sky is pink, no it's blue, no it's pink. Geez Louise, fancy arguing about that next?

V for Vendetta is a dumb American movie (which I quite liked too). I seriously doubt they put as much thought into the politics, as you guys are.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

V for Vendetta was shite, there that ends it.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Mark that's fairly shocking you likening V to the 7/7 bombers. You don't see the difference between V vs. the 'baddie' state, as opposed suicide bombers specifically targeting innocent people on a packed train?
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yi-Long wrote:Apparently you got a huge pro-islam message from this movie, which I seemed to have missed somehow...
Hardly... I singled out one scene. Where do I mention Islam in relation to anything else?
Perhaps you're overexaggerating due to some islam-phobia, seeing stuff that isn't there?
Yahoo. There we go. I wondered how long it would take for someone to invoke a 'phobia' or an 'ism'. Right on cue. You guys are nothing if not predictible.
Somehow it's left-wing propaganda when a character in the movie mentions the Koran has some nice poetry in it, which has been banned...!?
Read between the lines... besides that's ONE scene. The whole movie is leftist. It's blatantly obvious... I'm not imagining it.
It just explains why the guy likes the book, mentioning something positive about it to kinda oppose the banning of the book...
Why that book? They could have mentioned anything controversial if the sole point was about banning things. The Quo'ran was used specifically to illustrate a political point about how nasty right-wingers want to ban that particular book. It's frustrating explaining this to you because I know you already know this.
The movie shows the people understanding the actions V does, and thus it's an accepted answer to that society.
So the answer to political oppression is terrorism. Who gets to decide when a people are being oppressed? Who appointed V their saviour? What about those who don't subscribe to his actions? Is there a movement for political change or is V the ONLY person in the ENTIRE land who cares? The movie doesn't deal in any of this because it's simple-minded and there's no way the makers of The Matrix were going to sacrifice the opportunity to blow up parliment.
Most movies are following that same premise of 'an eye for an eye'.
Most movies don't take themselves so seriously and think themselves profound.
luckystars wrote:Mark that's fairly shocking you likening V to the 7/7 bombers.
I didn't.
You don't see the difference between V vs. the 'baddie' state, as opposed suicide bombers specifically targeting innocent people on a packed train?
Now that you mention it... how many innocent people does V murder throughout the film? Let's leave aside the fingermen because they're obviously nasty arseholes who deserve to die. He kills ordinary police just doing their job. Don't they count? What about collateral damage from the bombings? Is that OK?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra (2009-USA) *½

A preposterous, numbingly stupid, overblown CGI train wreck.
Keung
King of Beggars

Post by Keung »

Outside The Law (2002) - 1/5
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Green Lantern 1.5/5 Flat & uninspiring super hero flick.not a mess,just very dull.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Ward (2010-USA) **½

Suspensful psycho-thriller is something of a return to form for John Carpenter, though the story is derivative and the ending pat (right down to the predictable Carrieesque shock final shot). A couple of scenes are explicit enough to warrant an '18'.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra (2009-USA) *½

A preposterous, numbingly stupid, overblown CGI train wreck.
Agreed. I still quite liked it though but I did see it on a flight, so choice was an issue.
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

Real Steel

Its was like a rocky movie for kids

But the CGI was great :thumbs:

3 out of 5 *
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:I still quite liked it though but I did see it on a flight, so choice was an issue.
You could've always grabbed a parachute and ejected... :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

The Fast & The Furious 2.5/5 First in the series isn't bad at all.

2 Fast 2 Furious 2/5 Vin Diesel light sequel is fairly predictable throughout but as sequels go,not the worst i've seen.

Cobra 2/5 Low-grade 80's Stallone actioner hasn't aged particularly well.not helped by a woeful performance by Brigitte Nielsen in the female lead. odd that on the blu-ray the catchy tag line "crime is a disease-meet the cure" has been replaced by the mundane "strong arm of the law". :dontknow:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The theatrical poster had both taglines:

The DVD has both:

Blu Ray Cover here also has both tags:

EDIT: I see it's been changed for the UK release:

gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Red Desert (1964) - 4.5/5

Why were so many lines of dialogue left unsubtitled on the BFI release?!