Is Amazon cheaper than eBay for sellers? Where else?

Sell Your Stuff, and What's on Sale
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Is Amazon cheaper than eBay for sellers? Where else?

Post by bradavon »

I've been using eBay for years and generally had no problem but their seller fees (along with PayPal on top) are ridiculous. I've just sold a camera film holder for £22.49 Buy-it-now and the deductions are:

50p = Listing fee (which includes the bin fee)
£2 = Final Value Fee - Are they having a laugh? 10% on a £19.99 sale is excessive
£1.08 - PayPal fee - eBay fucking own PayPal! Although sneakily they're run entirely separately.

After postage fees (£1.09) I'm left with £17.82. £4.67 deduction is absurd.

So I come back to my original question, is Amazon Marketplace cheaper than eBay for sellers? As far as I can tell they're roughly the same, maybe a bit less.

Is there anywhere else with any size to use? I'm not just selling DVDs and CDs.

The trouble I find with Amazon is you can only list what they have a listing for. I cannot find the film holders on Amazon for example. I've used Play and they're much cheaper but their selection is pretty much Movies/Music/Games/Mainstream Electronics.

Currently for DVDs/Blu-rays I tend to list on eBay and then if they don't sell, list them on Play. I've used musicmagpie.co.uk once but they only offer you pennies for most stuff. I'm also listing the Battle Royal LE Tin and they will only give me £1.35 for it. WTF! Some titles oddly come up at decent prices though.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Is Amazon cheaper than eBay for sellers? Where else?

Post by bradavon »

Anyone? Thanks.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:As far as I can tell they're roughly the same, maybe a bit less.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I've sold on there loads of times yeah, nowadays mainly just take stuff into CeX though for convenience.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

And you prefer it to eBay? Cheers
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Okay this thread isn't going the way I intended ( :D ), can those who've sold on both eBay and Amazon comment please? Thanks.
Last edited by bradavon on 29 Sep 2011, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

I've sold on both.

Opinions:
- things will sell more easily on ebay than amazon.
- things will often sell for more on amazon than ebay.
- fees around the same.

All the following are for dvds, assume free shipping is offered on ebay and don't include your cost of shipping..
Amazon £5 sale - £4.38 take home
Ebay £5 sale - £3.93
Amazon £10 - £8.52
ebay £10 - £8.26
Amazon £20 - £16.79
eBay £20 - £16.92
Amazon £50 - £41.62
eBay £50 - £42.90

So as you can see - low price, amazon's fees are less. High price, ebay's fees are less. For dvds anyway.

eBay are also complete and utter bastards, as you are aware.

I was selling a lot of stuff on there a while back. Got a negative feedback (one in last twelve months) and had several claims from people for items that were lost in post. All were either refunded or replaced. 99.8% positive feedback, rating 1380. Then one day I log in to find ebay have suspended my account indefinitely. Not only that but they suspended my then girlfriend's account indefinitely too. Called them up to find out why, they refused to tell me. The email to tell me about this also had no proper reason. I was banned from using ebay in anyway and from setting up any new accounts. Fortunately they have been crap at monitoring this as I have another account I now just use for buying things every now and then.

But I hate them. They are bastards of the highest order.

No problems with amazon yet.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That's shocking but unsurprising. Did you ever find out what you "supposedly" had done wrong? I'm amazed you managed to find a phone number they answered. When things go wrong, they don't want to know.

I do find (despite their problems), they're the best place to sell stuff. I wouldn't get as much at a car boot sale but charges are excessive. Those "take home" prices, do they include postage feeds? Annoyingly you can only charge up to £1.25 postage. Good luck posting any DVDs that aren't single disc affairs for that.

Would I be right in saying Amazon take multiple cuts too? Listing Fees, Final Value Fees etc... As far as I'm concerned PayPal is eBay. So for each sale, you're charged three times. Thanks btw.

p.s - That's interesting you say, on average you get more for items at Amazon.