PLAYtrade: what is it?

Sell Your Stuff, and What's on Sale
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

PLAYtrade: what is it?

Post by Yi-Long »

I'm looking into buying some books from play.com, and noticed that when I get it through play-trade it would be a bit cheaper.

But what exactly IS playtrade? Are the books still brand-new? It's not some kind of 2nd hand crap, is it?
Anyone here used it yet? And satisfied?
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

PlayTrade sell Brand New/used (2nd hand) stuff. You used Amazon Marketplace Yi? This is Play's version of that AFAIK. :)
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I've never used Amazon's marketplace.
So when I look at a shop through PLAYtrade, and it says the item is 'new', then it WILL be new, right?

I ask, cause for instance for some books, I find the very same book, and both are listed at TheBookDepositary, but with different prices. So whats up with that?
http://www.play.com/Books/Books/PROD/3- ... Price&fb=0
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:So when I look at a shop through PLAYtrade, and it says the item is 'new', then it WILL be new, right?
If it's the same as Amazon Marketplace then yes but of course you're buying from a third party so they may not be as reliable. If like Amazon Marketplace though Amazon give you some kind of cover.

Is this feature new? I've never heard of it before. Well I noticed those prices but they all seem to be more expensive.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

It's fairly new/recent.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Thanks guys. I also checked some of the comments regarding the service from users who ordered at one of these external shops, and for the one I'm thinking of using, the people are pretty positive...

I'll probably give it a try then.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:I'll probably give it a try then.
If I were you I would.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Ok... ordered 2 books last night (monday). One from play.com, and one through the play-trade system for TheBookDepository. So we'll see how it will go and what I'll receive.

I have gotten a mail from play that my order has shipped. Not sure if I will also get a notice from TBD, but I hope the play order will arrive before the weekend...

I ordered 2 Captain America books btw. Because I hate those damn yankees. ;)
Nah, supposedly the ones I ordered are pretty good, a revival of the character, and we'll see what it's about. I just hope the artwork is good.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

UPDATE: NOT HAPPY!

My order from play.com has been sent, but the book I ordered through PLAYtrade has been cancelled, cause they say they no longer have the book in stock (when I ordered it the page said to have 2 in stock at TBD).

So that REALLY sucks, cause the 2 books together are 1 big story, so just having the first book without the 2nd, is just going to be a waste :(

I'm really annoyed by this... and also not sure what to do now. Wait and hope they'll some day get new stock in, or or try to send back the first book to play.com once it arrives, or maybe try to get the 2nd book from a local bookstore, which will cost me alot more :(

ALL shitty options... :(
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

or use amazon!?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It's no big deal is it? They're out of stock.

I'd be pleased they cancelled my order instead of kept you hanging for weeks and didn't give you a refund it relevant. Like DVD Soon used to love to do.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:It's no big deal is it? They're out of stock.

I'd be pleased they cancelled my order instead of kept you hanging for weeks and didn't give you a refund it relevant. Like DVD Soon used to love to do.
You're right., but the way they phrased the email was like they wouldnt get it back in stock either... which sucks...
Play.com has removed the play-trade link for that book I wanted, but they still have the book themselfs , which is 'currently out of stock...'
So now I'm just thinking of either emailing play.com if they will get it back in stock, or just placing the order and wait and see.

Also, playtrade (TBD) has emailed me that they refunded me my money, but the amounts arent the same as the amount I payed. So I'm gonna my receipts if it all went ok... when they come in.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: PLAYtrade: what is it?

Post by bradavon »

Salty (or anyone else):

1. Playtrade don't charge to list right? Only when you sell something (50p + 10% per item).
2. I've sold a DVD but the "Account Summary - PlayTrade Transactions" section still says: Current Balance: £0.00. There's a Refund option under the actual DVD sold listing, so I reckon they've paid but why is this still zero balance?
3. Assuming they have paid, how can I withdraw the money? I don't want to just yet as it's less than £2 but I see no option.

I'll e-mail Play but suspect I'll get a much quicker response here. The DVD sold at 6:30 last night.

Thanks.

EDIT: Don't worry about most of the questions, it says:

Once you have sent the item to the customer, you should confirm dispatch via your PlayTrade seller account. We cannot transfer funds to you until dispatch has been confirmed via your online account. Once you have done this your earnings will be deposited in your PlayTrade account for collection. If you haven't already provided us with your bank account details please log on to your account to register this information.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

As you've discovered funds only appear in your account when you confirm despatch. not sure about transferring to bank account,i tend to build up a bit then spend it at Play.i've currently got £40 sitting there.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

You don't get charged to list right? Like eBay. Thanks. Yep I'm going to wait until all mine sell, that are going to sell. There's a 5% charge to withdraw but none to use your funds towards orders at Play.com.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've sold 4 of my 32 DVDs on Play since Sunday, which is good but the price you have to set for most of them is so low, it's barely worth it. Some of the DVDs are selling for under £3 and some even 99p, meaning I have to list lower again.

Although the 99p I've listed at £2 (which has to include the 76p to post it + 10%/50p Play charges). 99p I'd be in minus numbers, as those selling their DVDs at that must be. I don't understand why they're bothering? It will end up costing them money. Given that it's free postage and the price of so many of the DVDs is so low, I've found so far eBay actually better than Play.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote: Given that it's free postage and the price of so many of the DVDs is so low, I've found so far eBay actually better than Play.
most of my tat is gone now but i found the opposite- £4.99 for Alvin & The Chipmunks :rock: £3.82 for Batman Vs Dracula, £4 for 48p HD-DVD'S....obviously my standard of unwanted tat must be better than yours :cool:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I'm only listing two HD-DVDs. One went for £4 but obviously I got closer to £3 after Play.com took their cut.

That's 3 examples. What is your average for "DVDs"?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:
That's 3 examples. What is your average for "DVDs"?
when i list i beat the lowest price by a couple of pence.it usually works.some stuff just doesn't move whatever you do though.to me it's not rocket science though,if a dvd you want to list is going for around £2 it's not worth listing,save it for filmvault or give it away ;)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Annoyingly most of mine were being listed for under £3. I've been knocking off about 25-30p off the bottom price.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Nice! Thanks. I have some DVDs and a BD to list.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I want to list my Terminator 2: Skynet Edition Region A on Play.com but if you search for Terminator, the USA BD is not found (unlike DVDs, searching only finds UK BDs). However it's there as an option on Play Trade.

Salty/Anyone else: Have you come across this? It doesn't seem much point listing it, if you cannot find the actual BD. It's there on Playusa.com but obviously that's an entirely separate entity (that has no Play Tade).