Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

But is the sound shite
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I wouldnt say the sound was shite, I listened with the "original" Cantonese 2.0 track which wasnt too bad though a few times the sound seemed to "stop" rather abruptly when scenes or shots changed, also there were some sound sfx in some fights which sounded unnatural to my ears - (not just a "woosh" but a "woooooossssh" during some wirework segments, if that makes sense), I'd imagine if I heard the 5.1 it would be the same as the soundtrack that HKL used.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

[b]Taegukgi 4/5[/b]

Rather good film this. Decent story, maybe the older brother's change is a little too unbelievable, but is still a decent film nonetheless. Action is very good, and disturbingly harrowing. Lots of realistic gore that doesn't go OTT, making it far more powerful. Regardless of what you thought of Saving Private Ryan as a film, it had very realistic war scenes, and this is right up there with it.
Wolf
Jade Tiger

Post by Wolf »

[b]Dead Leaves 5/5[/b]

What did I just watch??? I'm a bit puzzled TBH but OMG was it fun!! :D Talk about energy and violence. If your ever in the mood for somthing uptempo then this film is it.

It's just under 50min in length but wohah.!!!! Thugh it may not be to everyones taste ninja :ninja:

[Edited on 10/11/2004 by Wolf]
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

bubba ho tep

4 out of 5

funny bruce campbell :D

with some cool commentaries also, that should make it a 5 out of 5
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Dead Leaves... is that an anime?
Wolf
Jade Tiger

Post by Wolf »

Yes it's an anime, dont let that put you of though. Its well worth a watch.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

[b]Birth 1.5/5[/b]

Not a great film at all... very arty in some way, but just strange in others. I don't believe some people would act the way they did, and some things don't add up.

If you want a brief glimpse of icole Kidman's left tit, then maybe see the film, otherwise, don't.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

[quote][i]Originally posted by Wolf[/i]
Yes it's an anime, dont let that put you of though. Its well worth a watch. [/quote]

Put me off?! I love anime!
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Jason X 4 out of 5

Its exactly what it says it is! and thats exactly what I want, a silly yet fun film with the sexy Lexa as the Star! and an unstopable Jason killing people, maybe the best Jason film really as I have watched parts 1-10 now in order the last few weeks and boy it is an expericnce as the ones people think of as the best are pants really, I loved part 9! Jason Goes To Hell, violent as fook and just a great film and it didnt need Jason to pad it out, overall the franchise is good with a few great films and lots of ok watcable ones.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

[quote][i]Originally posted by BiscLimpkit[/i]YES!! The more people that see this film, the better. You seen it's rival (Aragami)? As much as I love Kitamura... I did think 2LDK was better. I give it the full 5/5...[/quote]Oh, I love "Aragami" and enjoyed it even more than "2LDK". But maybe that's due to the fact because I have met the man Kitamura himself at the world premiere of "Aragami"... :whistle:
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

[b]A Hero Never Dies - 3/5[/b]
It gets better as the film progresses. I didn't like the beginning of the film at all which kind of disappointed me due to the fact that it is a Johnnie To-film. But it gets just great after the first 30 - 40 minutes. It could have been a 4/5, but c'est la vie.
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

dark city 4 out of 5

scifi....hellraiser meets the matrix..
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

But better than shit like Helraiser! :D
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I think Dark City came out before the blummin' Matrix ;)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

its better than The Matrix too :) both great still.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

[b]Around the World in 80 Days - 3.5/5[/b]
Watched it for the first time and I have to say it is Jackie's best US film so far. The scenes in China are awesome. And of course seeing Maggie Q in her cameo appearance as that fighter woman was so funny, he he he!

[b]Memories of Murder - 5/5[/b]
Watched it again tonight. The last time I watched it was a few months ago and boy, it's still one of the most awesome murder-films I have watched. In fact it became even better as I watched it for the fourth time today. Forget "Seven".
Wolf
Jade Tiger

Post by Wolf »

[quote][i]Originally posted by thelostdragon[/i]

[b]Memories of Murder - 5/5[/b]
Watched it again tonight. The last time I watched it was a few months ago and boy, it's still one of the most awesome murder-films I have watched. In fact it became even better as I watched it for the fourth time today. Forget "Seven". [/quote]

Wow it's really that good? I'd better put it on my next yesasia shopping list
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Full Contact 3 out of 5

Its been 10 years since I last saw this, and it now is a great film. Top stuff all round and very watcable.

Minority Report 4 out of 5

Ohhh nice, it flies along at a great speed, and maybe its better 1st time around as you dont know whats coming, but its still a great film with some nice set pieces and its all kind of working well until the last 10 minutes. Tom is great and hope he and Spielberg do as good a job on War of the Worlds next year :)

Jaing Hu 2 out of 5

Not very good, not very exciteing, not wlell made, boring and very very predictable, I worked out the idiotioc twist within 1 minute! and its just not a good film in any way at all, watcable yes, but far from good..

but how about this foir a MASSIVE MESS UP WITH THE TWIST!

[spoiler]
The Biggest problem was it was predictable, but it was idiotic, as the charlene twins lassie when she was young was using a mobile phone! from now! it was titchie! they didnt have mobiles in the fucking 70's you morons! duuuurrrrr
[/spoiler] :wacko:

[Edited on 14-11-2004 by romerojpg]
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

one missed call

2.5 out of 5

not very scary and a ripp off from movies as ring or phone..
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

and Directed by a hack.
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

who's the hack
ghevans
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by ghevans »

Paul WS Anderson i think he means :D

fuse lit now stand well back...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Battle Royale (Longer version) - 4/5

Still very good, but I'm not sure if the extra scenes really add anything extra to the film (the basketball game scene may show the children have a great bond though), and there is a scene which gives extra back story to the sexy/scary Mitsuko, but really I think the Theatrical Cut is fine.
The film is, in its way still really powerful, shocking and sad :( The picture on the Tartan DVD is MUCH better than the soft, dirty one of the HK DVD (Theatrical cut), but it has the same kick-ass sound as the HK DVD.
TBH I don't think a sequel is "needed" for a film like this at all, many people say "BR II: Requiem" is VERY cheesy.
I still think the Age of Consent in Japan is 13 (though some provinces have laws about "protecting minors" which effectively put it higher).

[Edited on 16-11-2004 by grim_tales]
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

The Director of one missed call is a total hack! no talent in his body at all. I wont even say his name as he is a gimp and his name piisses me off. :1eye: