What Have You Just Seen... Marks Out of 5

Film Reviews and Release Comparisons
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Elvira Mistress of the Dark 3 out of 5

Hey I have always wanted to see this film (for obviousl reasons) since i was a kid, and it was very funny and it definaly was a film that seeing as a kid would be a benifit as Elviras 2 breasts are the stars. Funny, and quite smart for what it is! and really a classic old film and worth watching, cannot say its gonna change the world, but boy it was fun while it lasted :) ordered the sequel for under 3 quid already :)
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

[b]Old Boy 3.5/5[/b]

It was good, but not as good as everyone else has really made it out to be.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I didnt make it out to be that good, I gave it 3 i think, its far from the best Korean film I have seen by a long way, Sympathy for Mr Vengence by the same director and basically the same plot is far better.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Yeah, I preferred Sympathy too. A lot of other people have sung the praises of Old Boy though...

[b]Into The Mirror 3/5[/b]

Was good, but not amazing. Some nice ideas in there, but it didn't really do anything that I've not seen before. Was very much like Phone in some ways.

[Edited on 1-11-2004 by degeneration]
ghevans
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Izo

Post by ghevans »

[b]Izo[/b]

A shambles of a film, an absolute stinker beyond all proportion its poorly constructed with no character development whatsoever, an embarrasingly awful film that actually makes Tennen Shojo Mann Next now seem not such a bad film in comparison.

Put it this way - Junk is still the worse Japanese film i've seen - but its only marginally worse than Izo.

A waste of the £9.80 ticket, a waste of what looks like a big budget film (some nice cinematography and effects) and more importantly a waste of 145 mins of arse numbing pretentious twaddle with little to say and nothing to recommend.

So bad i wouldnt even recommend downloading it (its a waste of the transfer time). All the inventiveness of Miike's tricks cannot save this turd of a movie from sinking. about 20 - 30 people walked out of the film (not because it was disturbing - it was quite tame to be honest - but because it was so appaulingly boring).

1/5
Wolf
Jade Tiger

Post by Wolf »

[b]Casshern 2/5[/b]

Oh dear what went wrong here? I went into the film with low expectations and I was still dissapointed. I could see what the director was trying to say but he lost the plot trying to say it. At least the visuals were cool and the lady who played Midori was hot esp since she was playing the mother :duh:
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

[quote][i]Originally posted by degeneration[/i]
[b]Old Boy 3.5/5[/b]

It was good, but not as good as everyone else has really made it out to be. [/quote]

thats your opinion!

I saw hellboy the latest and i rate that 3.5 out of 5
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

[b]High Tension - 3/5[/b]
Donnie Yen needs to make more films like this one these days. Well... what can I say. It was good to see another Donnie-in-good-shape-film again.

[Edited on 4-11-2004 by thelostdragon]
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

[b]Police Story 2 (Japanese cut) - 3.5/5[/b]

Still very good, but perhaps not as good as I remember it? :( It felt too long (compared to the HK cut anyway) and the extra footage didnt really add anything, IMO.
The transfer is excellent and pisses all over HKL's transfer of the HK cut. The colours are richer/better and detail is much sharper.
There are many top scenes, the fight with JC and Benny Lai/Ko is great :D I also like the excellent fight in the playground :w00t: :)

SPOILER

It is very sad in places though too :( The part where the bombers read out Maggie's letter is emotional :(

END OF SPOILER

In the Japanese cut there are a different set of "highlights" from PS1 at the start (on the HK cut, we don't see the part when JC gets a birthday cake in the face), and also, instead of the different song playing over the end credits, it just plays the theme from PS1.
Is this longer cut still "Jackie's" cut? Was it only made for the Japanese market? :wacko:

[Edited on 3-11-2004 by grim_tales]
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Blood Heat /Muscle Heat 3 out of 5 maybe .5 more if I am in a good moos :)

Hey it wont change the world at all, but it was fun and there was some superb fighting moves on display to see. The Star Kane was fabulous! he moves and was filmed very well, his fighting skills seem top stuff and when he poses for the camera, it loves him! he gets a few top knotch fights in the film the best 2 were in corridors for some reason against multiple adveseries and he whupps there slimey evil asses!

The plot and rest of the film goes along fine and it doesnt ever really get too boring and theres plenty of action to keep it going, it istnt a Tornment film like I was expecting, but hey its still an action film and a good one at that.:)
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

[b]Three... Extremes ("Cut" segment) - 4/5[/b]
Whoa! I haven't watched all the three short films, but I fast forwarded to Park Chan-wook's as I couln't wait to see what kind of a brilliant film he has made again and it is awesome. I'm looking forward to watch the other two films on this disc as well.

Do yourself a favour and get this. "Cut" alone is worth the price (at CD-WOW that is... :whistle: :D )

[Edited on 4-11-2004 by thelostdragon]
Wolf
Jade Tiger

Post by Wolf »

[b] 2LDK - 4/5[/b]

Whoah, talk about a communication breakdown :) This is a delicious little (violent) black comedy. The whole build up to the showdown is wonderful.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

[b]Project A - Boxset Special Features - 4/5[/b]
Waaaayyy too short, as usual with such great special features. It is wonderful to finally be able to actually watch those deleted scenes which I have previously only seen on pictures on the net.

The stuntmen dosumentary is awesome due to the lots of behind-the-scenes footage. Great!!!
Wolf
Jade Tiger

Post by Wolf »

[b]Fullmetal Alchemist Eps 1-51 4.5/5 [/b]

Just finished muncing through all 51 eps of of this brilliant series. Eveything about this anime is spot on. The story had me gripped and the ending was quite unexpected :cry: . I Cant wait for the movie which will be set two years after the TV series ended.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Jason Goes to Hell The Final Friday 3.5 out of 5

Top stuff, its violent as hell and it just worked for me, definalty a fun film.

Leviathan 3.5 out of 5

Alien crossed The Abyss with The Thing, not as good as them, but still a cracking film with a great cast and music, with some nice sets and all that, only the monster really lets it down, but the beast is great for the most part, just when we see it at the end it isnt all it could be, but a cracking little film :)

No Good Deed 2.5 out of 5

It passed the time and was mindless fun with a nice cast, Mila and Sam Jackson were good in there roles and the film did go along well and wasnt too predictable, well worth 3 quid I paid :)

The BLOB (Remake 1988) 3.5 out of 5

Sick as hell! really the film is cracking from begining to end and has some truley sick effects in it, the film is simple and easy to folow and far better than that crappy origanal, the effects work at times are amazing to behold with some corking people melting. and being digested by the Blob a very underated gem of a film.

Phantoms 3.5 out of 5

Well its spooky, its got Ben Afleck in it, and the 4 main cast members are just a pleasure to watch. The atmosphere is tense for most the film and it just is a freeky little film with some great ideas, maybe looses it at the end, but still excellent stuff all round with some interesting stuff going on, but really without such a great cast the film would falter, good job the casts a please to watch.:o
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

[b]Azumi - 4.5/5[/b]
Whoa! Awesome film. I finally got round watching it. I had it on my DVD shelf for quite a long time now, but as it was the international version, I didn't want to watch it. So I recently got the Japanese Deluxe Edition and am glad that I have waited. I enjoyed every minute of the film and cannot imagine any scene to be cut out. Love it more than "Versus".
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Just think Azumi 2 is out soon :) seriously doubt it will be as good mind you, but lets hope it is :)
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

[quote][i]Originally posted by grim_tales[/i]
Yo Bisc what did you think of Azumi? (I think I only saw the shorter version).
The action in OB is amazing! :P [/quote]

I loved Azumi but much prefer the original longer version.

What's OB?

[quote][i]Originally posted by Wolf[/i]
2LDK - 4/5

Whoah, talk about a communication breakdown This is a delicious little (violent) black comedy. The whole build up to the showdown is wonderful.
[/quote]

YES!! The more people that see this film, the better. You seen it's rival (Aragami)? As much as I love Kitamura... I did think 2LDK was better. I give it the full 5/5...

Incidently... you got the R1?
Wolf
Jade Tiger

Post by Wolf »

I have not seen Aragami yet but plan to. And no I dont have the region 1 DVD. I hear the AV is not up to scratch and it has burned in subs :(

[Edited on 9/11/2004 by Wolf]
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Bisc, OB is Ong Bak, a Thai fighting/action movie with Tony Jaa. :)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The Missing Gun - 4/5

Very effective, well-played whodunnit film set in rural China, about a cop who searches for his (you guessed it), missing gun ;) when he finds it gone after a night of binge drinking at his sisters wedding. He has no memory of the previous nights events so must try and piece them together. The mystery and puzzles are only one element of the story though, the fact that it says in the film having a gun in China (at the time) was illegal, makes Ma Shan (the cop) question himself, we learn of his troubled relationship with his young son and wife, there is a lot of flashback too and some interesting, colourful characters who he has to talk with to help solve the mystery.

Great movie :D

PS Where is everyone? Why is no-one posting? ;)

[Edited on 9-11-2004 by grim_tales]
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

[b]All For The Winner 2/5[/b]

Aside from a few odd gags here and there this wasn't that funny. I did like the slow motion entrace by Chow though! Some decent action, albeit brief. The gambling scenes didn't have the excitement that I've seen in a lot of other films though.

Certainly, for me, not the classic that I think others believe it to be.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

[quote][i]Originally posted by grim_tales[/i]
The Missing Gun - 4/5

Very effective, well-played whodunnit film set in rural China, about a cop who searches for his (you guessed it), missing gun ;) when he finds it gone after a night of binge drinking at his sisters wedding. He has no memory of the previous nights events so must try and piece them together. The mystery and puzzles are only one element of the story though, the fact that it says in the film having a gun in China (at the time) was illegal, makes Ma Shan (the cop) question himself, we learn of his troubled relationship with his young son and wife, there is a lot of flashback too and some interesting, colourful characters who he has to talk with to help solve the mystery.

Great movie :D

PS Where is everyone? Why is no-one posting? ;)

[Edited on 9-11-2004 by grim_tales] [/quote]

Spot on. How did you hear about this? Read my review on debate? :sweat:

It's a brilliant movie and I'm lucky I got to see this. I'm pretty sure not many folk know about this film like.
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

mystic river

4 out of 5

Good acting jobs, the movie itself a bit disapointing..
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Bisc,

Yeah I read your review of the R1 on Debate ;) Great review :D

Also last night I saw:

[b]Once Upon A Time In China (IVL)[/b] - 5/5

A masterpiece of Asian cinema IMO. The action is excellent but there is also real emotion, drama and heart. :)

The IVL disc uses the same subtitle translation as the HKL DVD that includes daft lines like "Don't let this kind of crap keep us from making big money" (!) so maybe when FS said to HKL "you can have our HD prints and equipment" HKL gave FS their translations for the movies in return :p
The transfer is much better than the HKL effort though, it looks sharper and more detailed.

[Edited on 10-11-2004 by grim_tales]

[Edited on 10-11-2004 by grim_tales]