Cheap Region B blu-ray player with 6 free discs!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Cheap Region B blu-ray player with 6 free discs!

Post by saltysam »

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Isn't this a current model? That is a good price, especially considering the free discs. Here's the back of it:

http://www.ecranlounge.com/photos/bdps3 ... -550px.jpg

Note the Analogue outputs, that's rare!

For those who have Analogue inputs on their Amp you should be able to hear the Lossless Uncompressed PCM audio, possibly Dolby TrueHD too.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Does it have all the current firmware? Like the Profile 1.1?

(As if I know what I'm talking about...lol?)

The specs look good but I've no idea about performance quality or if any key elements are missing?

The free discs are The Spiderman Trilogy and The Pirates of the Carribean Trilogy -- neither of which I'm interested in.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Does it have all the current firmware?
Firmware is easily upgraded.
Markgway wrote:Like the Profile 1.1?
I seriously doubt it but check over at AVForums.com as I've not looked into BD Only HD Players. Right now it's more important to see if it "will" support Profile 1.1 than "does" support Profile 1.1.

Profile 1.1 is still very rare. The PS3 has only "just" got it.
Markgway wrote:The specs look good but I've no idea about performance quality or if any key elements are missing?
Profile 1.1 and TrueHD 5.1 support are the big two. The third is 24fps support but only few expensive TVs support it. I'm not considering it important as it will be eons before I get a TV that support its.

The other big one is DTS-HD support but absolutely nothing on HD-DVD or BD supports that yet. At least if it does you're talking 1-2 models. The PS3 cannot.

I always look for Analogue outputs as it allows many legacy amps to support Lossless audio. It's always the first thing to go on cheap players.

Have you considered a Combo Player? Both the LG BH200 and Samsung Combo will be Profile 1.1 (but not yet) and the Samsung should via firmware support TrueHD in 5.1 (currently it's Stereo) and DTS-HD. The LG BH200 it looks up in the air if it will be upgraded to support TrueHD 5.1 (again Stereo only) and DTS-HD. It was originally supposed to.

The Samsung also has Analogues outputs. The LG BH100 did (that mess of a Combo Player) but they've been dropped on the BH200.
Markgway wrote:The free discs are The Spiderman Trilogy and The Pirates of the Carribean Trilogy -- neither of which I'm interested in.
Is that it? Pants!

This is really the wrong forum, have a search over at AV Forums.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I'd love a combo, but the price is very high.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:Profile 1.1 and TrueHD 5.1 support are the big two. The third is 24fps support but only few expensive TVs support it.
It's becoming a more common thing nowadays, like 100Hz processing.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:I'd love a combo, but the price is very high.
They're roughly the same as two like for like separate players. Personally I think it's going to be another year before Combos become more of the norm.

There are a few higher end makes considering them, including Denon. But that does mean even more expensive players.
gasteropod wrote:It's becoming a more common thing nowadays, like 100Hz processing.
Profile 1.1, TrueHD 5.1 or 24fps?

Is there anything else big to consider I've forgotten?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i don't think you can go far wrong for £250 personally. if the 6 movies are spidey & pirates you'd easy clear £50 selling those, cex.co.uk for example would give you £59 credit for those 6 titles making the player less than £200,a great deal imo :D
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Agreed.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:Profile 1.1, TrueHD 5.1 or 24fps?
24fps.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Break your expensive combo player, you have to rebuy. Break one seperate player, cheaper to get a new one.

Region stuck Blu Ray player, no thanks, even for half the price.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg wrote:
Region stuck Blu Ray player, no thanks, even for half the price.
i've managed pretty good with my Region A player 8) there's little to nothing out on Region B that i can't get on Region A or import HD-DVD.perhaps only the Crow.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

No Blu-ray just because it's Region Coded, no thanks.
perhaps only the Crow.
Exactly. And that looks awful anyway: https://www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com/forums/ ... &start=320
Break your expensive combo player, you have to rebuy. Break one seperate player, cheaper to get a new one.
The reason it's cheaper to buy a new one is a decent reason to go separate???

If that's your only reason to not go Combo then it really sucks. The cost of two players is just as expensive as one Combo.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Not.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Too much hastle selling items to places like CEX -- and you have to be a member and I don't even have a local store. I'd rather they kept the "free" discs and knocked off even £50.

I don't have a suitable TV yet; but I appreciate the advice.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I wouldn't buy this on the basis of Free titles as they're shit but Salty has a point, those you could easily sell and would easily make some decent dosh for. I'd selll them on eBay. It's THE place to get rid of stuff.

Last time I had a clear out I made over £250 though 70 DVDs and other cheap tatt. None of it went for a huge amount (except for my Router for £30) but it all adds up. I listed 89 DVDs the other day on the great Offline eBay Turbo Lister and have 10 more small items plus an MP3 Player to sell. 10 of the 8 DVDs were Limited Editions.

I should easily clear another £250.

I think they're especially worth something being two Trilogy sets instead of 6 separate films.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

From Digital Bits:

"The rumor mill is buzzing wildly on the Net this week, with high-def enthusiasts claiming on the various discussion boards that Warner is about to go exclusive with one format or the other at the show. Most of it is FUD as usual, but it is true that both camps are courting Warner like the belle of the ball right now. We've heard word from our own (and highly reliable) industry sources that insanely large financial incentives are being waved in front of the studio by both sides. The reason is simple: Both the Blu-ray and HD-DVD camps know that as Warner goes, so (almost certainly) goes the format war. Could Warner decide go exclusive to one of these high-def formats? Yes, it's absolutely possible. In fact, we think it WILL happen sooner or later in 2008. Warner knows that continuing to support both formats is not what's going to grow high-def packaged media beyond the early adopter market. Still, we don't believe this is likely to happen at CES. If and when it happens, our guess is it will happen at least a few weeks later. But it's going to be very interesting to see what kind of presence Warner has at CES in the booths and presentations of both camps."
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

DO NOT beleve a word The Digital Bits say.

Its a site full of shit and lies, has been for a long time now, easily the single worst site on the net for bullshit. The guy who runs it is a joke beyond words.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Bill Hunt from the Digital Bits is a well known sony fanboy.when paramount went hd-dvd exclusive his rantings were the laughing stock of the net.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yeah, maybe so, but that article doesn't promote one format over the other; merely states that Warners are likely to make a key decision soon. Either that's true or it's false. We'll see...
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i think they probably will.i also hear though they are the studio doing best out of hi-def which would support their neutral stance. tbh i've come to the conclusion blu-ray will win,over the last few months there's been hardly anything coming out hd-dvd for me wheras there's plenty of blu-ray titles coming. it's a shame as despite me doing ok with my region A player i believe region coding sucks and it will get worse if sony win.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

They have been saying Warners have been on the verge of saying that for a year now, each time its bullshit as usual.

Warners made an official statement a few weeks back stating its not gonna happen and just do not beleve a word from the morons like The Digital Bits, over and over and over again.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg wrote:They have been saying Warners have been on the verge of saying that for a year now, each time its bullshit as usual.
no-one saw Paramount going exclusive coming though did they?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Paramount never made any official announcements saying they were or were not. Warner has. But hell Do we care :D in thee nd just get a player I say.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

romerojpg wrote: But hell Do we care :D in thee nd just get a player I say.
i have,i've got 4 in the house :lol: