Facebook

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Facebook

Post by Markgway »

I thought I'd sign up for a laugh... get with the 21st century.

Everything seemed fine at first but then this:

"Upload a photo ID

To make sure this is your account, we need you to upload a colour photo of your government-issued ID. Your ID should include your name, birthday and photo.

Acceptable IDs include your:
◾Passport
◾Driver's licence
◾State-issued ID card
◾Military ID card
◾Immigration ID with signature

Please keep in mind that we can't accept your profile picture.

Once we receive and review a clear image of your ID, we will permanently delete your attached identification document from our servers.

Other Types of ID

If you don't have a government-issued photo ID, you can upload two alternate forms of ID. We accept:

◾Company or school/university ID
◾Library or gym membership card
◾Birth certificate
◾National insurance card
◾Bank statement
◾Utility bill

Together, the two IDs should clearly show your name, birthday, and photo.".

Is this some sort of joke or a phishing operation?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Facebook

Post by grim_tales »

What? :o That sounds crazy. I dont remember doing that back when I joined FB (2008).
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

My account is temporarily locked until I upload a government approved ID. Bollocks to that. No way would I trust those devious clowns with such sensitive information. I couldn't even delete the account now if I wanted to because you need to be able to login to do anything. I don't know how long temporarily is... or if it's ID or never but I'm pretty pissed about this whole thing.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Do you get that message after you clicked on the "Sign Up" button?
I've heard of that happening to exsisting users who were locked out of their account but new ones :?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

never asked me to do anything like that.not that i ever use it much except to see who's joined my Big Boss Appreciation Group :)
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

No explanation given as to why my account was locked nor was I sent an appropriate e-mail.

Grade Z customer service that's for sure.

I finally took the plunge because I thought Facebook would be fun and free... instead I'm stuck with an account I can't access and an ultimatum demanding photo ID.

How can they get away with this bullshit?

Can either of you guys (Grim, Sam) even access my page as friends/visitors?
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

If you haven't signed up to facebook to keep in touch with friends via PM then my advice would be to cancel your account as every day there are articles revealing new ways in which they are screwing over the privacy of their users by selling information to other companies. I'd cancel my own account if my friends weren't so fucking obsessed with their mobile phones (which never seem to be switched on when I call) to the point where the easiest way to contact them and arrange shit these days is to PM them on facebook. Not sure if all the info in this article is correct but if so I might just say fuck it and cancel my account!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Markgway wrote:No explanation given as to why my account was locked nor was I sent an appropriate e-mail.

Grade Z customer service that's for sure.

I finally took the plunge because I thought Facebook would be fun and free... instead I'm stuck with an account I can't access and an ultimatum demanding photo ID.

How can they get away with this bullshit?

Can either of you guys (Grim, Sam) even access my page as friends/visitors?
Not sure - I had a look on the "Request Friends" list on my page and it didnt say Pending on my end. But I cant seem to find your page either. :icon_suspect:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

To be honest the only reason I signed up was just to see if there was anyone I knew out there (that said I can't think of anyone from my past I'm desperate to have contact me). I also thought it might be fun to post on distributor websites (as is oft mentioned on bluray.com). However, I didn't plan on spending a lot of time on it. Now it looks as though I won't be spending any time on it. If this temp lockdown isn't temp at all then I'm stuffed as I've no way of deleting the profile. A Google search has revealed that many users have been targeted for lockdowns and it's nothing to do with being a new user. Could happen to anyone. I always figured Facebook were a bunch of bastards but assumed that it wouldn't be a problem as I had no intention on posting or supplying personal info beyond the accepted norm.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Shingster wrote:If you haven't signed up to facebook to keep in touch with friends via PM then my advice would be to cancel your account as every day there are articles revealing new ways in which they are screwing over the privacy of their users by selling information to other companies. I'd cancel my own account if my friends weren't so fucking obsessed with their mobile phones (which never seem to be switched on when I call) to the point where the easiest way to contact them and arrange shit these days is to PM them on facebook. Not sure if all the info in this article is correct but if so I might just say fuck it and cancel my account!
Holy shit, I never knew that :o Don't like the sound of that at all, but I guess its a way they can keep FB "free" by putting ads on the site maybe? Youtube is free but has annoying ads!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I'm sorry I got involved with Facebook.

I should've joined Fuckbook instead!!
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

wow, never heard about that kind of crap before.

I joined facebook about 5 years ago when I first moved to Japan. It's really convenient as a digital phonebook when your friends are spread all over the world. Functional chat function + keeps you somewhat updated who got married and who moved to what country. But then, most of the time if feeds you with trash you couldn't care less about.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

So how did this farce end? Mark signing up to fuckbook instead of facebook?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

HungFist wrote:So how did this farce end?
My account appears to have been disabled.

I had to mail them a dozen times to get that far.

My energy is spent.

Farce is the right word.
Mark signing up to fuckbook instead of facebook?
Yeah, I'm fucking right now! :D