I've just got banned from KFC!

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Re: I've just got banned from KFC!

Post by RetroRobot »

Damn, old dude be straight up spammin'.....! One of his latest threads, just the poster of the Jimmy Wang Yu flick The Assassin which is clearly written across in big blue letters, and the question "What Shaw movie is this?". I think even the most tolerant KFC members are getting tired of this guy. Though he seems lonely, so it's kinda sad really.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Post by Masterofoneinchpunch »

RetroRobot wrote:Damn, old dude be straight up spammin'.....! One of his latest threads, just the poster of the Jimmy Wang Yu flick The Assassin which is clearly written across in big blue letters, and the question "What Shaw movie is this?". I think even the most tolerant KFC members are getting tired of this guy. Though he seems lonely, so it's kinda sad really.
Yeah that one was pretty funny. Not sure what has caused this surge of posting. He's been a member as long as I have.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

He's like that guy who want's to be your friend so bad but is just coming on waaay too strong. He's the Kenny Bania of KFC. Though I get the sense that he's quite lonely, so I feel kinda bad for him. Hope im not just sitting around, spamming random shit on message boards when im 70..... but I probably will be :)
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

RetroRobot wrote:He's like that guy who want's to be your friend so bad but is just coming on waaay too strong. He's the Kenny Bania of KFC. Though I get the sense that he's quite lonely, so I feel kinda bad for him. Hope im not just sitting around, spamming random shit on message boards when im 70..... but I probably will be :)
He does come in droves, so he's not there all the time. It's just like a run by posting. COmes in posts a lot of one-liners (unless it is talk about the ying yang sign) and then leaves. He does not seem that much into deep conversation posting.

I think the more tired I am (like on Fridays) the more random I blather.

On KFC: too many posts in a couple of threads. I always get more suggestions for future watches though (of course sometimes I do wonder about the quality of the films). One thing I always notice that if someone asks for the best of something they get a response that names all of that something regardless of the quality of the film.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Yeah, that last part really irks the fuck outtta me. Utterly useless. But it's much worse on FLK... they seem to have zero barometer for quality. Like everything is a stone cold classic.... eeeh, NO!

I understand that the actual FLK team has a business to run, and therefor has an agenda, but still. Some obscure Taiwanese Meng Fei swordswinger from 1973 with a budget of recyclable cans is not the end all be all of kung fu flicks because you found a dingy print in some basement, and are now peddling it as the lost gemstone of the genre. When people are trying to sell me something, they lose about 70 to 80 % credibility in whatever they say. That's just how im wired.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

That was the curse of Showdown at the Cotton Mill. Endlessly billed as a real epic by the likes of Falkor, the dvd finally showed up, and it's a very ordinary, dull movie.
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Yeah, that would be a good example.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

I had got Showdown at the Cotton Mill when it first came out on Rarescope R1 (I have all of them) and watched it right away. I thought it was decent, but not quite what morgoth feels about it (he has a glowing review on Amazon) or Falkor. I forgot about the film until years later I started seeing the praise it was getting on KFC. I do need to rewatch it, but I do feel it was overhyped.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Oh, Falkor.... the man, the myth.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

RetroRobot wrote:
Ivan Drago wrote:GoldrenDragon whatever seems obbsessed with umpteen threads.
Dude is 70 going on 16. But hey, retired folks have a lot hours to fill.

Were you able to log in again?
No luck, sadly.
bradavon wrote:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I had got Showdown at the Cotton Mill when it first came out on Rarescope R1 (I have all of them) and watched it right away. I thought it was decent, but not quite what morgoth feels about it (he has a glowing review on Amazon) or Falkor. I forgot about the film until years later I started seeing the praise it was getting on KFC. I do need to rewatch it, but I do feel it was overhyped.
Didnt the back cover blurb say it was the rarest kung fu film ever or something? :D I havent seen it but I doubt somehow its the rarest ever!
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Snake Deadly Act cover said something similar, which obviously wasn't the case. Though that flick is pretty kickass, unlike some of the other "rare gems" that are unearthed.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

amazing how Eastern Heroes omitted the Cantonese track from the dvd of that one. I mean, it was on the VHS...
bradavon wrote:
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Pure laziness I imagine.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

But still...the dub was pretty funny!
bradavon wrote:
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

And another thing that bugs me: people who brag (or comment too much) about illegal downloading for films that exist on BD and/or DVD.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Yeah, especially in certain cases where the actual fucking director of the film is a forum member and makes a heartfelt plea for people not to watch it illegally. Im sure as shit not known for my patience, but im not a five year old, who can't wait for a legal copy of a movie that I wanna see.... how hard is that?

At the moment im just enjoying the stellar writings of Golden Dragon Ding Dong and seeing even the most tolerant forum members lose their cool with his inane spam posts. If I was a mod I would probably try to set him straight, or lock him out..... accidentally of course, and throw away the cyber key. I would feel bad about it, but hey...... that's life.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

I still can't get in. Wonder if my "killer Meteor" profile was deleted...

I don't mind Golden but his behaviour is very random, like he just discovered the Internet.
bradavon wrote:
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

I think he did.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

RetroRobot wrote:Yeah, especially in certain cases where the actual fucking director of the film is a forum member and makes a heartfelt plea for people not to watch it illegally.
Which director and which film?

I would never brag about my downloading... ;)
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:And another thing that bugs me: people who brag (or comment too much) about illegal downloading for films that exist on BD and/or DVD.
I don't get it either. What is there to be proud of in illegally downloading a film? Even the 12 year old kid next door can do it. You get my respect when you show actual dedication towards films by working on seeing them a bit. When you own official and rare releases, or travel to catch them on festivals and on archive screenings, that's when you get my respect.

For some Japanese movies only out on unsubbed R2J I can understand a "test download". The discs cost $50, and are next to impossible to sell due to the lack of subs unless you're in Japan. So I wouldn't really judge people who want to test some of the riskier titles first when the intention is to buy the film if it seems good. But what really pissed me off is when people build a DVD-R collection of their favorite films with illegal downloads...

For films that are available on subbed discs I don't see a reason for illegal download. You can sell them if you don't like them. Sure, you'll lose some money in the process, but that's how its supposed to be. It's a good alternative for rental when a rental disc doesn't exist.

And for new films, "waiting" is an issue that applied to everyone. In Japan I have to wait forever for most foreign films, e.g. 7 months for Only God Forgives (opened here in January 2014... in Finland June 2013). Now I have to close my eyes from all Godzilla discussions and trailers until the end of July when it opens here. But I do get to see most Japanese movies before you guys. Fair game.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Markgway wrote:Which director and which film?
G Evans... Raid 2.
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

HungFist wrote:
Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:And another thing that bugs me: people who brag (or comment too much) about illegal downloading for films that exist on BD and/or DVD.
I don't get it either. What is there to be proud of in illegally downloading a film? Even the 12 year old kid next door can do it. You get my respect when you show actual dedication towards films by working on seeing them a bit. When you own official and rare releases, or travel to catch them on festivals and on archive screenings, that's when you get my respect.

... But what really pissed me off is when people build a DVD-R collection of their favorite films with illegal downloads...
Well there has been one person in particular late who has been bragging. Seriously some of these downloaders attitude is that they believe the product deserves to be free (I have not heard this argument on KFC though some people's attitude seem that way, but I have elsewhere; an opinion I'm very much against; I've also heard this argument for music as well.)

I seriously sometimes want to fling insults against these people and I don't even want to do that with people who dismiss my reviews :D.

I don't really buy the argument (for new films) that they have to see it right away. Of course I'm pissed that Raid 2 did not open near me, but I will wait until BD/DVD to see it (though I would have preferred theater).

There is one thing downloading a film that is not available and will not be available (laws are different in each country on this issue sometimes getting into "grey market" concerns) versus something that is already out there being distributed as well.
RetroRobot
Flirting Scholar

Post by RetroRobot »

Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I seriously sometimes want to fling insults against these people and I don't even want to do that with people who dismiss my reviews :D.
You should... it's not healthy to bottle it all up. Just let it rip, man... you'll feel better :rock:
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

RetroRobot wrote:
Masterofoneinchpunch wrote:I seriously sometimes want to fling insults against these people and I don't even want to do that with people who dismiss my reviews :D.
You should... it's not healthy to bottle it all up. Just let it rip, man... you'll feel better :rock:
That is also good advice for eating too much brussel sprouts and eggplant.