The Steven Spielberg World Cup

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

The Steven Spielberg World Cup

Post by Markgway »

Winner: RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
Last edited by Markgway on 18 Feb 2012, 10:56, edited 18 times in total.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The Steven Spielberg World Cup

Post by Markgway »

1. Duel vs Sugarland Express vs Jaws

2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind vs 1941 vs Raiders of the Lost Ark

3. E.T vs Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom vs The Color Purple

5. Hook vs Jurassic Park vs Schindler's List

6. The Lost World: Jurassic Park vs Amistad vs Saving Private Ryan vs A.I. Artificial Intelligence

7. Minority Report vs Catch Me if You Can vs The Terminal vs War of the Worlds
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

4. Empire of the Sun vs Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade vs Always

6. The Lost World: Jurassic Park vs Amistad vs Saving Private Ryan vs A.I. Artificial Intelligence

8. Munich vs Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull vs The Adventures of Tintin vs War Horse
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

1. Duel (0) vs Sugarland Express (0) vs Jaws (1)

2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (0) vs 1941 (0) vs Raiders of the Lost Ark (1)

3. E.T (0) vs Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1) vs The Color Purple (0)

4. Empire of the Sun (0) vs Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (0) vs Always (0)

5. Hook (0) vs Jurassic Park (0) vs Schindler's List (1)

6. The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1) vs Amistad (0) vs Saving Private Ryan (0) vs A.I. Artificial Intelligence (0)

7. Minority Report (1) vs Catch Me if You Can (0) vs The Terminal (0) vs War of the Worlds (0)

8. Munich (0) vs Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (0) vs The Adventures of Tintin (0) vs War Horse (0)
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Just a suggestion to make it a 1 on 1 competition in each round - why not have some films have a bye in the first round, the rest on knockout, to get the right number in round 2 for a straight 1 on 1 knock out. Cause choosing between 2 films would be a lot easier than choosing between 3 or 4 films in some of the ties. I may have chosen not to vote, but looking at some of the ties, I would have found it really hard to choose between some of them. A lot of really good films are up against each other.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

8. Munich vs Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull vs The Adventures of Tintin vs War Horse

Raiders or Jaws will win (probably Raiders)
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

degeneration wrote:Just a suggestion to make it a 1 on 1 competition in each round - why not have some films have a bye in the first round, the rest on knockout, to get the right number in round 2 for a straight 1 on 1 knock out. Cause choosing between 2 films would be a lot easier than choosing between 3 or 4 films in some of the ties. I may have chosen not to vote, but looking at some of the ties, I would have found it really hard to choose between some of them. A lot of really good films are up against each other.
I agree there's an issue, but which films should get an automatic thru, and who decides? If I pick them that leaves me open to accusations of favouritism. At least this way every films get some sort of fair chance. But I accept it's imperfect.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:To vote you need have only seen two (or more) films per tie.
Is this a new rule? You didn't say that originally. I'm just wondering :)

1. Duel (2) vs Sugarland Express (0) vs Jaws (3) - But it's the only one I've seen.
2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (0) vs 1941 (0) vs Raiders of the Lost Ark (5)
3. E.T (1) vs Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (4) vs The Color Purple (0)
4. Empire of the Sun (0) vs Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (3) vs Always (0)
5. Hook (0) vs Jurassic Park (1) vs Schindler's List (4)
6. The Lost World: Jurassic Park (2) vs Amistad (1) vs Saving Private Ryan (0) vs A.I. Artificial Intelligence (0) - It's a toss up between Amistand and SPR.
7. Minority Report (4) vs Catch Me if You Can (0) vs The Terminal (0) vs War of the Worlds (1)
8. Munich (2) vs Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (2) vs The Adventures of Tintin (0) vs War Horse (0) - But it's the only one I've seen and it's dreadful.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Is this a new rule? You didn't say that originally. I'm just wondering :)
I wouldn't say it was a HARD rule, but if there are 3-4 movies in a tie it stands to reason that a fairer vote would be cast if more than one film had been seen. But if you've only seen one title and STRONGLY support it there's no harm in voting. I other words I wouldn't vote for a movie simply because it's the only one I've seen. It should DESERVE the vote.

I've added your vote for JAWS - but do you still want me to cast a vote for KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL bearing in mind what I've just written? It's up to you.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:I've added your vote for JAWS
Thanks. I love it and it's Spielberg's best. It deserves to be included.
Markgway wrote:but do you still want me to cast a vote for KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL bearing in mind what I've just written? It's up to you.
Nah. Got it, thanks. You can also discount "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" too if you want. I've just realised I've only seen that one in that line too.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Markgway wrote:
degeneration wrote:Just a suggestion to make it a 1 on 1 competition in each round - why not have some films have a bye in the first round, the rest on knockout, to get the right number in round 2 for a straight 1 on 1 knock out. Cause choosing between 2 films would be a lot easier than choosing between 3 or 4 films in some of the ties. I may have chosen not to vote, but looking at some of the ties, I would have found it really hard to choose between some of them. A lot of really good films are up against each other.
I agree there's an issue, but which films should get an automatic thru, and who decides? If I pick them that leaves me open to accusations of favouritism. At least this way every films get some sort of fair chance. But I accept it's imperfect.
Picking the ones that get a bye would always be an issue. A not perfect idea might be to work out how many need to get a bye - using this comp as an example it would have been 5 films, as there are 27 competing.

That would leave 22 to compete - 11 ties. Put the byes in slots between the ties. With 10 'betweens' here, would make sense to have a bye ever second one - i.e. 2 ties, bye, 2 ties, bye etc.

So if there were a round with 22 films, 10 would need a bye, leaving 12 films - 6 ties. That would have 5 'betweens', so put 2 byes in each between - i.e. tie, 2 byes, tie, 2 byes etc.

If you continue to use the chronological order for the draw, then you can't be accused of influencing the teams with byes, as it will purely be by chance.

I know what I mean, whether or not it has been explained well I don't know.

If you message me the person you're planning on doing the comp for next, I can show you what I mean using it as an example, as it may make more sense actually seeing what I mean rather than me trying just to explain it!!
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

working class blu-ray fan
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

What's with all the love for Crystal Skull, when Munich is easily the best Spielberg movie since the 80's...
Keung
King of Beggars

Post by Keung »

- Duel vs Sugarland Express vs Jaws

- Close Encounters of the Third Kind vs 1941 vs Raiders of the Lost Ark

- E.T vs Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom vs The Color Purple

- Empire of the Sun vs Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade vs Always

- The Lost World: Jurassic Park vs Amistad vs Saving Private Ryan vs A.I. Artificial Intelligence

- Minority Report vs Catch Me if You Can vs The Terminal vs War of the Worlds

- Munich vs Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull vs The Adventures of Tintin vs War Horse
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

HungFist wrote:What's with all the love for Crystal Skull, when Munich is easily the best Spielberg movie since the 80's...
I haven't seen Munich, and I thought Crystal Skull was decent enough but with various shitty George Lucas things letting it down, I haven't seen it since the cinema though.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

You're spot on about Crystal Skull... has a lot of irritating Lucas shit in it, but it's still Indy and that alone makes it a decently fun film. Not something to own, but to watch on TV a few times.

But Munich you should really watch. Brilliant movie... very cold and brutal, has none of the Saving Private Ryan shit in it. Really a movie that you'd never expect from Spielberg.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Crystal Skull is AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL. It's up there with Moonraker and Die Another Day for how to destroy a great franchise. It's just so full of CGI and a nonsense script. I couldn't believe the fridge scene (Lucas himself could only come with a 50/50 chance of surviving) and that end. My God!
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Speaking of George Lucas, look at what he's now saying about the 'Han shot first' thing: http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/121/1218385p1.html

What a tool :lol:
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

HungFist wrote:You're spot on about Crystal Skull... has a lot of irritating Lucas shit in it, but it's still Indy and that alone makes it a decently fun film. Not something to own, but to watch on TV a few times.

But Munich you should really watch. Brilliant movie... very cold and brutal, has none of the Saving Private Ryan shit in it. Really a movie that you'd never expect from Spielberg.

Munich is well made, very cold and brutal......and boring. And thats a lot to do with Eric Banana. But its still a film that left me cold.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Results:

1. Duel (2) vs Sugarland Express (0) vs Jaws (6)

2. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (0) vs 1941 (0) vs Raiders of the Lost Ark (8)

3. E.T (3) vs Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (5) vs The Color Purple (0)

4. Empire of the Sun (0) vs Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (5) vs Always (0)

5. Hook (0) vs Jurassic Park (2) vs Schindler's List (5)

6. The Lost World: Jurassic Park (3) vs Amistad (1) vs Saving Private Ryan (2) vs A.I. Artificial Intelligence (0)

7. Minority Report (6) vs Catch Me if You Can (0) vs The Terminal (0) vs War of the Worlds (2)

8. Munich (2) vs Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (4) vs The Adventures of Tintin (0) vs War Horse (0)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Quarter Finals now in play:

1. Jaws vs Raiders of the Lost Ark

2. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom vs Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

3. Schindler's List vs The Lost World: Jurassic Park

4. Minority Report vs Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

No fracking way is Raiders better than Jaws or Lost World better than Schindler's List.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:No fracking way is Raiders better than Jaws or Lost World better than Schindler's List.
Jaws is a great film, but I also love Raiders of the Lost Ark. This was an extremely hard choice for me.

I'm one of the few people who prefers The Lost World to the original Jurassic Park and as good as Schindler's List is I've only seen it once (back in the mid 90s) and have no real desire to watch it again.