Night Shift by Stephen King
When The Wind Blows by Raymond Briggs
The Phantom Of The Opera by Gaston Leroux
Dracula by Bram Stoker
The War Of The Worlds by H.G Wells
The Fog by James Herbert
Batman: Strange Apparitions by Steve Engelhart and Len Wein
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Your Favourite Books

Post by bradavon »

I love Matilda. I'm also a fan of "Round Ireland with a Fridge". I should be but I'm not a big reader. I'm currently (slowly) reading Kermode's Good, The Bad and The Multiplex. Which I'm enjoying.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid is absolutely genius, the best book I've ever read.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

You've read the Ring books? Do you recommend them?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:You've read the Ring books? Do you recommend them?
That'll be why I've posted them in 'Your Favourite Books' topic :thumbs:

They go in a different direction to the films, verrrrry interesting, kind of goes all sci-fi & existentialist. I love how Hideo Nakata turned it into pure horror, but the books are well worth checking out.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

David Icke(!)
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Markgway wrote:David Icke(!)
Things have changed, he's taken seriously nowadays because what he was warning everyone about in the early '90s has been clearly happening, there was even a documentary a while ago, I think it was called David Icke: Was He Right?.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod wrote:That'll be why I've posted them in 'Your Favourite Books' topic :thumbs:
Yeah. I know, I know :D. I've never known of anyone to have actually read them before.

The film Spiral (called Rasen, more sci-fi) is supposed to be pretty poor (which was the official sequel to Ringu until Ringu 2 was released, it's since been forgotten). I don't think Loop was ever made into a film. Ringu 2 and Ringu 0 aren't based on books.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:The film Spiral (called Rasen, more sci-fi) is supposed to be pretty poor (which was the official sequel to Ringu until Ringu 2 was released, it's since been forgotten). I don't think Loop was ever made into a film. Ringu 2 and Ringu 0 aren't based on books.
Rasen is boring, and Ringu 0 is based off Koji Suzuki's 'Birthday'. I have a book called Toushi to Nensha which documents the psychic studies conducted which inspired the ones in Ringu and Sadako etc.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

gasteropod wrote:
Markgway wrote:David Icke(!)
Things have changed, he's taken seriously nowadays because what he was warning everyone about in the early '90s has been clearly happening, there was even a documentary a while ago, I think it was called David Icke: Was He Right?.
So are we still run by lizards? :icon_suspect:
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Markgway wrote:So are we still run by lizards? :icon_suspect:
It's quite possible :cool:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Er, no it isn't.

We're run by talking assholes. :D

Seriously though... how Icke has managed to avoid a strait-jacket is anyone's guess. I wouldn't read one of his books even for a laugh...
Xenon
Pedicab Driver

Post by Xenon »

Image ImageImage
Image Image

Also Labyrinth of Reflections by Sergey Lukyanenko and the sequel False Mirrors (couldn't find English covers).
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I read a lot of Roald Dahl's books growing up, its interesting to see how dark many of them they actually are, they were brilliant.
Brad I also like "Round Ireland with a Fridge" which is very funny and have also read "Playing The Moldovans at Tennis" which was great :D Have you "The Road to McCarthy" (Pete McCarthy)?

Also: I've read Jasper Fforde: The Fourth Bear - mystery/detective story which is set in the world of nursery rhymes (kinda) frequently breaking the 4th wall :D
Currently: Bill Bryson: At Home - its good but more interesting than actually funny like his travel books
Mark Kermode: Its Only a Movie
I'm a bit of a slow reader TBH.
Last edited by grim_tales on 06 Feb 2012, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

@ Grim: Nope. Should I? I'm a slow reader to. I also get distracted easily by my PC and TV.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I think if you like Tony Hawks and books of that ilk you should read it, its a travelogue with lots of humour :D
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Contact - Carl Sagan. Has a slightly different route to the ending than the film, but if you like your educational sci-fi, then this is a great read.

His Dark Materials trilogy - Awesome books. Full of fantasy, action and a good story. I actually find the 3rd book the weakest, even though it is the one that won awards. Forget about the shite film that was made of 2/3 the first book, the books are good.

Discworld series - Juvenile in places, but funny. I enjoy these a lot, particularly any one that concerns Death or Rincewind as the main characters.

Da Vinci Code & Angels and Demons - both are really, really good. The latter possibly better than the former. Again, forget about the disappointing film for the latter (the former's film was actually not bad), and read the book. Much more intelligent, and 2 books that are quite difficult to put down. Part of this is due to some clever use of chapters. Most are actually quite short, but there are lots of them, so I found myself constantly thinking, "oh ok, one more chapter, it is only 10 pages".

Harry Potter - From the 3rd book on, these really hit the mark. I found them very entertaining, easy to read, and good stories.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I have Angels and Demons and thought it was very good, I thought that was better than Da Vinci Code (which was also good) as well but I'd read A&D shortly afterwards so I guess I should have guessed that The Carmalengo (sp?) was actually the bad guy but there are some interesting asides about science v religion, and the manipulation of fear.

I havent finished the Harry Potter series yet :oops: but I agree they are good stories and very entertaining and well written (I'm up to Book 5) :D I like how each book got darker and more mature.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Is "Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep" any good? It's cheap and I've always wanted to check it out.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

It is short, and is ok. Nothing that special. Likewise with his short that inspired Minority Report.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks. Apparently it's 210 pages. That's not "that" short.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

That's the length of the collection of short stories! :banghead:
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I haven't really read a book since school tried to force me to read them. That kinda killed all the joy out of it for me, sadly.

Also, whenever I try to read books, my mind just go nuts so it's very hard to keep focussed, cause all kinds of stuff pop into my brain which is set off by whatever is going on on the pages...

I guess my favourite books are graphic novels, manga, comics, etc etc.... like Akira, Batman TDKR, Lanfeust of Troy, Blacksad, etc etc.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Ivan Drago wrote:That's the length of the collection of short stories! :banghead:
Thanks. I checked out Wikipedia and it says "Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep" is 210 pages. Go moan at them for being inaccurate. Amazon.co.uk says it's 224 pages and it makes no mention of the book shown being a collection of short stories (neither does Wikipedia), the title of the listing is even "Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep". Amazon.com says it's 256 pages and even has a picture of the side of the book which makes it look about that.

Seriously get off this trip you're on. It's as if you're sitting at your computer waiting for a chance to get angry.

So how many pages is Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep then?