Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The Oliver Stone World Cup

Post by Markgway »

WTF with all the love for NBK? :dontknow:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've seen it several times and enjoyed it every time. It's so fucked up.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Markgway wrote:WTF with all the love for NBK? :dontknow:

Because people like it, and Any Given Sunday is dross?
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Any Given Sunday is pretty average I admit, but NBK is an undisciplined arse of a film.

JFK is a cinematic masterpiece, brilliantly directed, and if it loses out to NBK (though it appears unlikely to make it past Platoon) then I give up all hope.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

It was always gonna be NBK vs Platoon ....thats how these groups always end up.
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Final is now in play......

Platoon vs Natural Born Killers
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

luckystars wrote:It was always gonna be NBK vs Platoon ....thats how these groups always end up.
On this sort of forum definitely.
gasteropod wrote:Platoon vs Natural Born Killers
Same as Gas.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Just waiting for Hung....
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

sorry, forgot about this... ehm... I dunno, I've given 4/5 to both... a million years ago... say, Platoon... it's got Willem Dafoe
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Final Score:

Platoon (*2) vs Natural Born Killers (2)

*Winner in Extra-time

(Thank God!)
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

I can vote in the final... seen both.

Sorry, but that's the one I'd rather watch again.

So Updated Final Score:

Platoon (2) vs Natural Born Killers (3)
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

:clap:
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Sorry, guys, but you're too late. The result has been called, the game is over. And I'm not just saying that because I hate NBK. I would have said the same had the score been the other way round.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Final Score:

Platoon (*2) vs Natural Born Killers (2)

*Winner in Extra-time
I've possibly missed something but doesn't that make it even?
Markgway wrote:Sorry, guys, but you're too late. The result has been called, the game is over. And I'm not just saying that because I hate NBK. I would have said the same had the score been the other way round.
Deg. posted "half an hour" later!

Natural Born Killers wins yay.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Yep, NBK wins :)
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Well, if you omit all the votes that disagree with yours you can have all your fave films win!!

I voted in round 1, so surely that enters me into this World Cup, thereby making me eligible to vote in any round where I can. I could vote in the final, as I'd seen both films, so surely I should be allowed to do so, and you calling the comp. early, before my vote, was an oversight and mistake on your part?

It is just a fun competition this, so keep it that way by letting everyone vote's count. Don't have any of the "the competition was called" rubbish, as that makes it too serious, not as much fun, and too much like you want it your way rather than the majority's way.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

degeneration wrote:Don't have any of the "the competition was called" rubbish, as that makes it too serious
Agreed.

Mark would have a point if a substantial time had past but half and hour isn't enough time and there's no rule on how long we should wait for others anyway.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:I've possibly missed something but doesn't that make it even?
As usual you have missed something which I explained back in the first WC thread.
Deg. posted "half an hour" later!
I know and if he had been half an hour earlier NBK would have won. I wouldn't have been happy but I would have had to accept the decision. It's not my fault Degen was late. Had he not skipped previous rounds I would have made a point of waitng for him as I did you - even though I knew you'd vote NBK. So you can hardly call me biased (not saying that you did). I've no way of knowing who's going to vote on each round and can only go by what's posted when I check. It appeared to me that all votes reasonably expected had been cast. Thus I closed the competition.
degeneration wrote:Well, if you omit all the votes that disagree with yours you can have all your fave films win!!
I didn't omit anything. You voted after the comp closed and you knew that.
I voted in round 1, so surely that enters me into this World Cup, thereby making me eligible to vote in any round where I can. I could vote in the final, as I'd seen both films, so surely I should be allowed to do so, and you calling the comp. early, before my vote, was an oversight and mistake on your part?
In retrospect I did call the comp early. There's no denying that. But how was I to know you intended to vote? How long should I have kept it open for when it appeared to me that all votes had been cast? In a way it's bad luck that you were late and if you hadn't been NBK would have been declared winner. I could leave longer open times in future but people don't always post to say they're not voting so there's no absolute way to know when to close. Next time post ASAP so your vote counts.
It is just a fun competition this, so keep it that way by letting everyone vote's count. Don't have any of the "the competition was called" rubbish, as that makes it too serious, not as much fun, and too much like you want it your way rather than the majority's way.
Not really. Films have won previously that weren't my first choice. Should I reopen those until the film I want to win wins? You win some, you lose some. I closed too quickly. That was my bad. But next time vote within 24 hrs because that's now going to be the default and it applies to everyone.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:As usual you have missed something which I explained back in the first WC thread.
You expect me to remember that far back? I have a life off this forum too :D. Remind me please?
Markgway wrote: It's not my fault Degen was late.
How is he late? There's no close time, is there?
Last edited by bradavon on 02 Feb 2012, 04:08, edited 1 time in total.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:
Markgway wrote:As usual you have missed something which I explained back in the first WC thread.
You expect me to remember that far back? I have a life off this forum too :D. Remind me please?
Any match that ends in a draw will be judged by an offsite popularity vote (for our puropses the imdb which is about as random as you can get).
How as he late? There's no close time, is there?
Read the whole post.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Any match that ends in a draw will be judged by an offsite popularity vote (for our puropses the imdb which is about as random as you can get).
Thanks.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Ok, I think you are completely wrong in your approach here. You made a mistake. You said waiting for Hung (or whoever it was), but no mention of me, not question asking if I could vote, no mention of "will wait another 2 hours, 12 hours, day" or whatever for all votes. I could vote, you closed the door early, but should do the honourable thing and open it again for all that can vote, especially since I was banging on that door voting ticket in hand.

Yes I had skipped 2 rounds, but I had voted in one. It wasn't like I had skipped the whole thing. I did that with Hitchcock I think it was, and I made it completely clear that I was skipping the whole thing by posting that I was. I did not do that here.

I am also sure that in whatever thread I read the original rules you stated something about the timescale for each round being a day or so (can't find it to get exact words) but I voted in the final 25 hours and 19 mins after it started. Not exactly making you wait a long time.

With this attitude, I no longer wish to take part in any of these. I've withdrawn my vote from the Tim Burton one.

I thought this was just meant to be some fun. Obviously I was wrong. I'll leave the serious "best film" competition to those that want to take part.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Platoon won and that's it. If degen or someone else wishes to host these world cups - that is, update the score 9 times a day every fucking day and try to figure out who hasn't voted but is going to, who hasn't voted and isn't going to, who hasn't voted and won't vote but will vote in the next round but not on the round after that - feel free to do so.

Does anyone realize that hosting these world cups takes approximately 100 times more time and effort that voting in them?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Thanks, Hung, for the understanding.

Degen, I'm sorry you feel this way, but it's your choice not to particpate further.
I already explained that I made an error in judgement, but don't believe that it negates the outcome. The competition was closed. Did i close it too early? In this case, yes. But closed it was and closed it has to stay. To prevent further upset and confusion from now on every round will be open for exactly 24 hours. I hope you change your mind, but if you don't, that's up to you. But as I said, the winning films are not always my choice, and I don't manipulate the votes so the films I want to win do so. Hell, I wanted JFK to win. Anyways, enough on the matter....