Apple Co-Founder Steve Jobs Has Died

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Apple Co-Founder Steve Jobs Has Died

Post by bradavon »

I just heard about this. Apple products have never been for me (iPhone/iPad too restrictive, Macbook too expensive, iPod overrated) but Jobs was quite the visionary.

Giving Microsoft a kick whenever they got lazy (showing people PCs don't have to be dull) and crucially without Jobs we wouldn't have the excellent choice of smartphones we have today. That's guaranteed. Before Jobs came up with iPhone (*) Microsoft was still insisting smartphones should be modelled after PCs, they were technically superior to other phones at the time (really the only smartphones) but they were so complicated to even do the simplest thing. Thanks to iPhone we have a world full of excellent Android and even Windows Phone mobiles.

Without Jobs we wouldn't have the burgeoning tablet market we have today. Just look at the rubbish tablets Microsoft was trying to foist on us. Windows XP/Windows 7 tablets were/are a mess and no one bought them. We just need cheap (but decent) Android tablets to really get the mass market appeal tablets need.

All this and I'm not really a fan of Apple but without Apple many of the products I do like wouldn't exist or would be lesser products (Windows, Android).

And last but not lease it was Jobs who bought the digital entertainment sector of Lucasfilm (yes George Lucas) and renamed it Pixar. Without Jobs there would be no smartphone market to speak of, no tablet market to speak of and no Toy Story.

* The iPad concept was created elsewhere at Apple but it was Jobs who saw they could create a phone out of it.
Last edited by bradavon on 06 Oct 2011, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Agreed with Brad. Not an Apple fan but sad to see the guy die at sucha relatively young age.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I forgot to mention how young he was, way to young.

It's also worth mentioning, without Jobs there would likely not even be an Apple company. When he returned as CEO in 1997, Apple was on the brink of bankruptcy. Something impossible to believe now.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I didnt know he'd died, that's a shame :( He really wasnt that old.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

bradavon wrote:I forgot to mention how young he was, way to young.
Yeah, death doesn't know young or old, healthy or sick.

Did you know he was Syrian Arab? Well, his biological father was at least.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

He only died late last night (GMT) Grim. No I didn't Lost Dragon.

Some in America are comparing him to Einstein and Edison. I wouldn't go that far, Jobs didn't invent much (if at all). He was a master at taking a popular product and making it much more usable/fun to use though.

This is an interesting article, for those who want to know more about his achievements: http://www.techradar.com/news/computing ... 11-1032165
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

@gasteropod
I kinda don't get what this drawing is supposed to express. :?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

It's Steve Jobs holding an iPod :)
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Not sure if it's insulting to -just- Steve Jobs or to artists worldwide... :P
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I read their was a vigil outside the Washington Apple store yesterday.
thelostdragon wrote:@gasteropod
I kinda don't get what this drawing is supposed to express. :?
Me either. I Adblocked it. I hope it wasn't your handy work Gas because it sucked :D.
The advert in this video sums up Apple well. On the one hand it's clever but on the other it's really stuck up. Thankfully they never actually used it.

I hope Apple do release an Apple TV (not the side product junk they're currently pushing), something combining the latest TV tech (without 3D) and iOS (possibly without the apps, which wouldn't work on a TV) would be incredible. Imagine iCloud abilities on a TV screen!
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I've never been an Apple fan (Or fanboy), cause I feel most of it is overpriced and lacking some stuff that should be included and which the alternatives usually have. So I wouldn't buy a TV from them either.

I wonder what's gonna happen with the whole Apple vs. Samsung fight, considering Samsung is making the screens for Apple I believe.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yi-Long wrote:I've never been an Apple fan (Or fanboy), cause I feel most of it is overpriced and lacking some stuff that should be included and which the alternatives usually have. So I wouldn't buy a TV from them either.
I'd agree except TVs are very different beasts. We're used to them being overpriced and lacking in features already. Check out iCloud, that type of tech in a TV is long overdue.
Yi-Long wrote:I wonder what's gonna happen with the whole Apple vs. Samsung fight, considering Samsung is making the screens for Apple I believe.
It's a hard one to call. I expect Samsung will continue to supply Apple with screens. It's a good deal for both companies. Apple will have to get a lot more nasty for Samsung to walk away from it. It's not hurting Samsung's smartphone sales either, which are doing very well. Their tablet sakes are being hurt but then they're only small sales to start with.