Favorite directors

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Re: Favorite directors

Post by luckystars »

Markgway wrote:I find that I tend to admire Coen films more than actually enjoy them; mostly they fail to engage me. Miller's Crossing and Fargo, to name two of, what I think, are their best pictures, are icyly cold and aloof. I prefer to have my emotions invoked, to care about the characters rather than just 'be interested'. Seems to me that the Coens are pathologically afraid of genuine drama and need to wrap it up in a blanket of ironic cynicism and knowing winks.

You need to watch Blood Simple. :thumbs:
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Funnily enough I haven't seen their debut.

I'll keep an eye out for it next time it's on TV.
Xenon
Pedicab Driver

Post by Xenon »

Active directors
- Takashi Miike
- Sang-Jin Kim

Dead and buried, or lost talent
- John Woo
- Ishiro Honda

Not really into the Hollywood directors.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I think the masterful Red Cliff proved that John Woo hasn't lost his talent. Question is: Has this marked a return to form or is it a parting shot before a return to mediocrity?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Isn't Reign Of Assassins supposed to be not bad?waitig for a uk BD of that,HK one is too pricey to blind buy.
working class blu-ray fan
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

saltysam wrote:Isn't Reign Of Assassins supposed to be not bad?
Isn't Reign Of Assassins supposed to be not directed by Woo? :D
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Always wanted to see anything by Kubrick.i was always split by his films though-loved Orange,Shining,Paths Of Glory,The Killing,Spartacus, & hated Eyes Wide Shut,2001 & Strangelove. thought FMJ & Lolita were ok and i've not seen Barry Lyndon.
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

It's amazing how few Kubrick films I've seen. For some reason I can't see the appeal and have tended to not seek them out. Full Metal Jacket is a good film, though The Shining did nothing for me. I think that's about it.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Kubrick for me is a painful filmmaker most of the time.

He made 2 great films Full Metal Jacket and Spartacus.
The rest frankly get on my nerves and some are just awful, almost unwatchable. His most rated ones blow me away at how bad they are, yet so many adore them beyond words. 2001 for example, a film so cruddy it kills me thinking about that borefest.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I love: 2001: A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, and Eyes Wide Shut. I don't think I've seen any of his others, I haven't bothered to watch Full Metal Jacket simply because I'm not into war films.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Full Metal Jacket I would say is his masterpiece, few War films are even memorable, never mind make you feel so much like this one does. If anything for me FMJ just is not like any of his other films, maybe that why I like it so much.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Kubrick's style for me is probably one of the most compelling of all the directors I've ever follower -he locks you into every shot. His films are IMO masterpeice level stuff. The majority of his films are iconic (even the ones people can't decide if they like).

His only weak(er) film is Eyes Wide Shut, but that's an ageing film makers return after a 12 year absence (and dealing with 2 of the most unlikeable leading stars around! :D ). And it still stands out amongst the most memorable films of the 90's.

brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

I couldn't say I enjoyed Kubrick's films, but it definitely is an experience to watch them. I've only seen A Clockwork Orange (which kept me engrossed from beginning to end, and a powerful film), The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut. I thought the latter was very good, and only loses the plot a bit when we get to the orgies and other surreal stuff. But the journey getting there was fantastic, and a good performance from Tom Cruise. I am one of those who thought the first half of Full Metal Jacket was gripping stuff, but the actual combat in Vietnam was less so. The Shining is a superlative exercise in mood and atmosphere. Torrance's decline into madness feels subtle even with an actor in the role who is prone to over-acting.
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

brooce-leroy wrote:I couldn't say I enjoyed Kubrick's films, but it definitely is an experience to watch them. I've only seen A Clockwork Orange (which kept me engrossed from beginning to end, and a powerful film), The Shining, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut. I thought the latter was very good, and only loses the plot a bit when we get to the orgies and other surreal stuff. But the journey getting there was fantastic, and a good performance from Tom Cruise. I am one of those who thought the first half of Full Metal Jacket was gripping stuff, but the actual combat in Vietnam was less so. The Shining is a superlative exercise in mood and atmosphere. Torrance's decline into madness feels subtle even with an actor in the role who is prone to over-acting.
I can say I did enjoy the films for the reasons you listed!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:Isn't Reign Of Assassins supposed to be not bad?waitig for a uk BD of that,HK one is too pricey to blind buy.
Has anyone here seen this now? It's odd there are no USA (Weinstein) or UK (Lionsgate) releases. The trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i4yVbYX98I

I've not seen Michelle Yeoh in a martial arts film for so long.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

My fave directors - and fave films of theirs

Tim Burton - Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood

Mario Bava - Black Sunday, Black Sabbath, Kill Baby Kill, A Bay Of Blood

Sergio Leone - Dollars Trilogy, Once Upon A Time In The West

Chang Cheh - The Duel, Boxer From Shantung, Five Shaolin Masters, Crippled Avengers

Tod Browning - The Unknown, Dracula, Freaks, Mark Of The Vampire

King Hu - Come Drink With Me, Dragon Inn, A Touch Of Zen, Swordsman (ok, he directed like one scene, but it's brilliant!)

Jess Franco - Eugenie: The Story Of Her Journey Into Perversion, Dracula: Prisoner Of Frankenstein, Jack The Ripper, Bloody Moon

Akira Kurosawa - Stray Dog, Seven Samurai, Throne Of Blood, The Bad Sleep Well

Dario Argento - The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, The Cat O'Nine Tails, Deep Red, Suspiria,

Terrence Fisher - The Curse Of Frankenstein, The Mummy, The Curse Of The Werewolf, The Gorgon

George A Romero - Night Of The Living Dead, The Crazies, Martin, Creepshow
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

shenglu wrote:I think this topic is worth mentioning, like John Woo and Francis Ford Coppola's decline in recent years has been able to regain some of their old magic star!
Christ, I've got a spambot stalker! I guess you know a spambot has balls when it's copying the posts of a moderator! :lol:

Now to hit that DELETE button...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

:D