Movie Stars Whose Stardom Waned....

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Movie Stars Whose Stardom Waned....

Post by saltysam »

Watching Batman Returns today the thought struck me that Michael Keaton is no longer the star he once was.In fact the only thing i can remember him in recently was White Noise,a reasonable hit but poor film.I Mean back in the day the guy was a big enough star to walk away from a huge role after 2 movies.

Others i can think of would be Val Kilmer who usually appears in Direct to Dvd movies these days and sadly the great late Roy Scheider, superb in 70's movies Jaws 1 & 2, French Connection,Marathon Man and hey i even liked him in Blue Thunder :) but who sadly ended his career in some pretty cheap movies.any otheres you guys can think of?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Rick Moranis :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Steve Martin.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Nancy Allen
Angela Bassett
Michael Biehn
Billy Crystal
Genna Davis
Emilio Estevez
Louis Gossett, Jr.
Steve Guttenberg
Rutger Hauer
Christpher Lambert
Ray Liotta
Demi Moore
Rene Russo
Patrick Swayze
Damon Wayans
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Burt Reynolds
Sylvester Stallone (despite the Rambo/Rocky reseurrection he's nowhere near the star he was)
Craig Wasson.
working class blu-ray fan
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Stevel Seagal :D
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Dolph
JCVD
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

- Chris O'Donnell
- Halle Berry
- Philip Michael Thomas (Miami Vice)
- Danny deVito
- That dude from that lame-ass Superman Returns movie, who was moviestar for about a week and a half...
- Elijah Wood (seems to be doing mainly voicework for cartoons and videogames now, odly enough. Does he suddenly have a horrible skin-disease or something?)
- Roseanne Barr.
- Doris Day ofcourse. Kinda left showbusiness completely and is hardly ever seen anymore.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Phoebe Cates
Elisabeth Shue.
Karen Allen
Rosanna Arquette
Michael J. Fox
90% of the Bratpack (Emilio Estevez, Eric Stoltz, Demi Moore, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald, etc.)
Michael Douglas (like anyone actually cared.)
Alicia Silverstone
Kevin Costner
Any number of former "It girls". (Christina Ricci, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Eliza Dushku, Claire Danes, Madeline Stowe, Thora Birch, Mena Suvari, Nastassja Kinski etc.)
The cast of American Pie
Danny Glover
Edward Furlong
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Both Patrick Swayze and Michael J. Fox are ill. It's entirely unfair to include them in such comparisons.

Since when has Halle Berry's stardom waned? X-Men 3 was only 3 years ago, it's a bit too soon to write her off. The same goes for Elijah Wood, Sin City was only in 2005. Happy Feet was a success. I'm sure it's out of choice.

Steve Martin has been having some success lately but not on the same scale he used to have, same goes for Robert Deniro. I don't see Halle Berry or Elijah Wood in the same category.

If we're going to pick any old actor who hasn't been in the spotlight for the last few years, the list would be endless. Let's stick to actors who've not had a hit for a decent amount of time. Such as most in this list.

Was Madeline Stowe ever an IT girl? I didn't know that.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Ah, Hale Berry. She's one of those actors who was cursed into mediocrity by her Oscar win.

Others include:-
Charlize Theron
Cuba Gooding Jr.
Mira Sorvino
Marlee Matlin
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It is a real shame. Halle Berry is an excellent actress but she so often goes for the pay cheque before script. I hear "Things We Lost in the Fire" is pretty good. It cannot be all bad, Benicio Del Toro is in it.

I've never thought much of Cuba Gooding Jr., major fluke he won that Oscar.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

bradavon wrote:If we're going to pick any old actor who hasn't been in the spotlight for the last few years, the list would be endless. Let's stick to actors who've not had a hit for a decent amount of time. Such as most in this list.
Actually most of the names mentioned in this thread still have rather successful careers!
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote:
I've never thought much of Cuba Gooding Jr., major fluke he won that Oscar.
That's how I feel about Halle Berry, Julia Roberts, Kim Bassinger and Charleze Theron. Mediocre actressed who 'struck' lucky with doing a decent job in a good, well-written role in a movie that was 'popular' with the Oscar-voters.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Shingster wrote:Actually most of the names mentioned in this thread still have rather successful careers!
Which was basically my point.
Yi-Long wrote:That's how I feel about Halle Berry, Julia Roberts, Kim Bassinger and Charleze Theron. Mediocre actressed who 'struck' lucky with doing a decent job in a good, well-written role in a movie that was 'popular' with the Oscar-voters.
They've all had excellent performances, well except for Charleze Theron. She was okay in Monster but nothing special. Berry and Roberts have both picked mediocre roles too, making it harder to overall say they're great actors.

Which Western actress do you rate? I've asked this before but you've never answered :D. I'm probably wrong but you seem to diss them all. Seriously I'm interested.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Both Patrick Swayze and Michael J. Fox are ill. It's entirely unfair to include them in such comparisons.
Fox went into semi-retirement after quitting his succesful TV series SPIN CITY so, yeah, not fair to include him.

SWAYZE on the other hand faded before his illness, but has made something of a comeback on TV at least.
Steve Martin has been having some success lately but not on the same scale he used to have
Yeah, like it or not PINK PANTHER 2 was a major release. There's a difference between a star having faded and their choice of projects sucking.
Was Madeline Stowe ever an IT girl? I didn't know that.
Never thought of her that way myself.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

EvaUnit02 wrote:Michael Douglas (like anyone actually cared.)
Douglas is a very good actor in my book, but you're right about his fame having gone off the boil. Last big movie he did was TRAFFIC about eight years ago. He's probably too busy getting in Catherine's pussy to care. lol
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

One Night at McCool's was pretty big but that was still only a year later.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Even then that was "AND" Michael Douglas. He had to play second fiddle to a big name like Liv Tyler.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I somehow don't reckon Douglas draped across a car covered in soapy water, would've sold so well :D.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

It might've played to your crowd. :wink:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Movie Stars Whose Stardom Waned....

Post by saltysam »

Always thought Shannyn Sossamon could make a decent career for herself but it seems she's descended into DTV hell.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Mena Suvari seems to be on a downward curve,Ving Rhames as well.i blame Day Of The Dead ;)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

I Know he's making DH 5 but Bruce Willis is not the star he was. Seems to be doing a few DTV cameos http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/2262 ... bc{600}%2b http://www.amazon.com/Catch-44-Blu-ray- ... 456&sr=1-2 Nicolas Cage has gone to shit as well
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Robert Deniro gave up about a decade ago :(. Oh how the mighty has fallen. He's got rich and lazy.