Top Social Networking Sites

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Top Social Networking Sites

Post by bradavon »

Which Social Networking Sites are you guys on?

My top ones are:

1. www.bulletsnbabesdvd.com - What else!
2. www.facebook.com - I only joined last September but it's pretty addictive, great for meeting up with friends you've not seen in years
3. www.trustedplaces.com - Not sure what pub/bar/restaurant to go to, Trusted Places is your friend.
4. www.deezer.com - I only discovered this site recently, it's an free streaming music jukebox. All you need is an Internet connection and you can have your music wherever you are.

Flickr is also pretty cool but I don't visit often so am not including it here. The less said about MySpace the better, awful place.

Can someone explain to me what all the fuss is about Twitter? From what I can gather you post short SMS length messages, no pictures and messages are restricted to about 160 characters. Why bother? Facebook offers this and more.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i'm on facebook but haven't been around on there much lately.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Are you including forums Brad?

BnB
Imports Forum
Digital Spy
Court Records (Ace Attorney/Games)
Facebook
Occasionally - The Railway Arms (LOM/Ashes To Ashes)
:)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:Are you including forums Brad?
Did you read my post properly? ;). Forums are fine, although the idea was to expand it past forums. We all visit those.

You're on Facebook guys. There are 25 Simon Gifford's, none pop out that they're you Grim. Do you have a Facebook photo? I'm the first in the list, add me if you like.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:You're on Facebook guys. There are 25 Simon Gifford's, none pop out that they're you Grim.
Look for someone who likes cartoons. :D

Don't use social networking sites myself.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Very funny Mark :D
I haven't got a photo yet Brad.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

is anybody having troubles logging into facebook today? it keeps stalling on mine
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

You guys should check out Deezer, it's really good. You don't even need to bother registering (although if you do, you can create playlists and add favourite albums). Just search for an album/artist/song and start playing, no buffering or bloatware crap like Itunes.

You don't have to take part in the social network part if you don't want to, although all these sites work better with user input.
Markgway wrote:Don't use social networking sites myself.
Funny, a post count of over 10 thousand says otherwise ;). Forums are Social Networking too.
grim_tales wrote:I haven't got a photo yet Brad.
Add me then. So you took my advice then?
Ivan Drago wrote:is anybody having troubles logging into facebook today? it keeps stalling on mine
Today I've found it fine but my god it's slow sometimes, very annoying. So slow that I have to give up, as loads of pages won't flipping load.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I'd always primarily used MySpace, but just lately I've warmed to Facebook and have been using that daily instead. This forum is the main one I visit, but I also check out the official PlayStation 3 one.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I guess My Space has it's good points. I just cannot stand the interface, some people's profiles are worse than others. I hope Facebook doesn't go down that route.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

if anyone cares to add me my email is jdeakin1964@yahoo.co.uk
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Social networking sites make me cringe. But I'm strongly considering signing up for Bebo, since it might genuinely help me expand my "real-life" social life.

*shudder*
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Is that a joke Eva? Bebo is solely used by kids, unless it's different in New Zealand. Over here, you use Bebo until you're about 18-20 then move to Facebook. That's how it seems to work anyway.

Facebook has done and is doing just that for me, expanding my social life. You cannot spend your entire life in the pub with mates, it's nice you can still chat when at home doing other things. It's also good for meeting friends you've not seen in years plus it's cool lots of people can contribute at the same time. I was very sceptical before registering.

So there are no other decent sites I'm not aware of?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Facebook is definitely the best, and as Brad says it's a perfectly viable way to communicate when you're not actually with all your mates.

MySpace is good for bands though.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Is that a joke Eva? Bebo is solely used by kids, unless it's different in New Zealand. Over here, you use Bebo until you're about 18-20 then move to Facebook. That's how it seems to work anyway.
It is different in NZ, Bebo is very popular with people well into their 20-somethings.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod wrote:MySpace is good for bands though.
Is it still good? Why is Facebook no good for this?

I'm very old school when it comes to music :D. Still relying on the radio and music videos to find out about new music. I then go and buy the old school CD.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I've never seen a Facebook page with audio on, the band pages on MySpace are great for checking out some of their tunes, reading their blogs, and being able to contact them (some reply, some don't). I find bands' MySpace pages superior to their official sites usually.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

EvaUnit02 wrote:It is different in NZ, Bebo is very popular with people well into their 20-somethings.
What about Facebook?
gasteropod wrote:I've never seen a Facebook page with audio on, the band pages on MySpace are great for checking out some of their tunes, reading their blogs, and being able to contact them (some reply, some don't).
That does sound cool. I cannot stand the music that plays on My Space though, it's so intrusive. I always stop it, on occasion I visit there.

Good point, I've never seen Band feedback on Facebook. The search function in Facebook does suck though. It's a nightmare to find an upcoming event without being bombarded with bloody birthday invites for people I don't know and have no intention of knowing.
gasteropod wrote:I find bands' MySpace pages superior to their official sites usually.
Yeah, those usually suck.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Well, there's only four Simon Gifford's on Facebook without photos, so I've gone and Friend Requested all of them :D.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:D
I best check my junk mail box then ;)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Mail from me goes into your spam folder. I'm shocked :lol:. I don't have one of those, no need for one.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

No I didnt mean mail from you - I mean mail from Facebook that will say you sent me a friend request :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

* Is Facebook just a passing fad? -

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 46399.html

* For those wondering, the UK/USA version of Deezer is Last.fm. It's much, much bigger but boy IMO the interface sucks. It's so cluttered in that all Portal way (e.g - MSN). Am I the only one who cannot stand portals?

* So, after all this Twitter talk I figured I should give a try. Boy what a big load of utter twaddle.

"I CANNOT stand Text speech". That needs repeating: "I CANNOT stand Text speech".

I thought the effortlessly articulate Stephen Fry wouldn't text speak, providing us oodles of witty banter, imagine my disappointment when he gushes this tosh on us:

http://www.twitter.com/stephenfry

I've checked out a few other twitters and they're all basically the same. Twitter is basically the online version of SMS Messaging (except it's even less characters, 140). Message after message of bloody Text speech, with all the usual 2morrow and gud crud people can manage to ineptly come up with. The BBC News Twitters are much better but all they actually do is link you back to the BBC website. Gee, I wonder what RSS Feeds were invented for?

Twitter makes My Space look like Einstein invented it. I'll be sticking with Facebook (which is genuinely useful), MSN and E-Mail thanks.
tpr007
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Haven't been here for Aaaaaaaaaaaaaages!

Post by tpr007 »

I use facebook. A LOT (too much I suspect)

I'm on twitter too, but far less (www.twitter.com/tpr007)
However, wasn't impressed with it at all. Seemed rather pointless, and in some respects it is, but I remember one person telling me that one day it just "clicks". For me, I think that was yesterday, and I won't be leaving twitter any time soon.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

How did it click for you?

Facebook is a very useful tool indeed. I now check t most days, see what my mates are up to.