Anyone into comics/graphic novels?

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Anyone into comics/graphic novels?

Post by BiscLimpkit »

I'm a n00b but ordered a few...

Batman: Dark Knight Returns (Frank Miller)
Ultimate Iron Man (Orson Scott Card)

Anyone recommend any more? Preferably ones that are standalone stories...
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I was when I was younger, as I was trying to be an artist at college, then I left college and stopped buying them. But do own tonnes in boxes, love looking at stunning artwork, the story doesnt matter most the time. If the artworks shit, the comics worthless I say. I aint no Miller fan thats for sure, a lot of his artwork is shit.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Really? Damn... I think I've been owned then.

Can you recommend some good artists?
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I'm quite a comics-fan, or at least, I used to be when I was younger.
I used to buy the monthly comic books of Spider-man, Batman, Superman, Xmen, Punisher, Wolverine, etc.
But somewhere when there was a drop in quality, I stopped buying monthlies.

Right now, I'm again interested in picking up some graphic novels/TPB's, butlike Romero I'm mostly interested in good art. If it doesnt have good art, I'm not very tempted into buying it.

I disagree with Romero about Frank Miller. I quite like the artwork in The Dark Knight Reuturns. In the beinning I didnt, but somehow it grows on you, and it is just a must-have graphic novel. Dont bother with the sequel though.

I dont know about iron Man. I never liked the character so have never been interested in any iron man titles.

Anyway,

I'm looking into ordering Superman: Birthright, plus Batman The Long Halloween and Batman: Dark Victory, which are all supposedly pretty good/classics.

Also, I bought Humberto Ramos' Spiderman novels (one with Venom, one with Doc Ock), which are pretty good graphically, and just good as in story. I also bought the non-superhero graphic novel (again by Ramos) Revelations, which is about a murder mystery/thriller set in the Vatican.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yea Bisc dont listen to me :) most poeple love Millers artwork, I am in the minority.

Art work in comics for me is a hard thing, some I adore some I hate, I just cannot stand looking at ugly artwork, esspecially the kind where I know I can draw better than it
:D I ussually find many comics lie anyway, with amazing cover artwork, and inside its bile :D

I was never into Spider-man, Batman, Superman, Xmen, Punisher, Wolverine and them superheros to be honest. I was into the more hard to get, obscure stuff, that maybe now seems mainstream. Or you wont have ever heard of it before :D

Like THE MAXX, probibly one of the most amazingly drawn comics ever created, also turned into an MTV cartoon, with the same wonderful artwork. A wonderful story too, very intresting and pretty insane. I sit and prey for a film one day, stuff Superman and Batman, I want the Maxx :shock:
slasher13
Royal Tramp

Post by slasher13 »

You need to read the Killing Joke, It is a short graphic novel, but its great!. Lone Wolf series are great, and so is Stormrider :)
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Thanks guys. I've never been a huge Iron Man fan either but Ultimate Iron Man's received a ton of praise and boasts multiple awards etc. My friend's read it and says that it's an amazing read.

I'm gonna try and chase Watchmen next I think...
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

Watchmen and V For Vendetta are good, but my favourite series has to be Preacher. Very funny, entertaining and interesting central concept. Also has one of the best characters ever drawn - The Saint of Killers.
Just a tip in case you do buy the books; don't read the forewords (especially Kevin Smith's) unless you want to know major plotpoints.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

BiscLimpkit wrote:
I'm gonna try and chase Watchmen next I think...
Why? then you will ruin the film!
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Oops sorry didn't realise we already had a thread on this.

There's more contribution on this one anyway.

Romero - good point but I hear that it's meant to be an outstanding graphic novel. Besides, Hollywood might guff it up like they did with the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen... which is nothing like the movie (it's a lot more adult).

I've ordered Watchmen now.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Ahhh but the directors trying to do an exact copy of the comic like he did with 300, so I wouldnt expect much to be changed (well budget permitting).
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Oh shit! Just realised who was directing. Niiiiceeee. 8)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

and this time he gets a gigantic budget, if he could make 300 with pennies, imagine waht Watchmen will be like with maybe one of the biggest budgets ever.
gojensen
King of Beggars

Post by gojensen »

romerojpg wrote:(...) the story doesnt matter most the time. If the artworks shit, the comics worthless I say.
So, just as long as it's pretty it doesn't matter?!

I've read GOOD comic books that looked like shit.

I've read total CRAP comic books that looked just awesome.

(Though more often than not they do tend to go hand in hand).

Millers Dark Knight is a must read for anyone serious about comics (wether you like his art or not). In the same vein I'd also recommend Millers Batman year one, Elektra Lives and Daredevil: Born Again (or all his Daredevil :D). Miller also drew the excellent Wolverine Miniseries written by Chris Claremont... and you could probaly skip DK2 - Dark Knight Strikes Again... :-/

Other stuff to look at is STRANGERS IN PARADISE and BONE. And let's not forget the FOOTSOLDIERS - one of the most intriguing "super" comics I've read by Jim Krueger... oh and POWERS is pretty decent aswell.
So long, and thanks for all the fish!
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

gojensen wrote:
romerojpg wrote:(...) the story doesnt matter most the time. If the artworks shit, the comics worthless I say.
So, just as long as it's pretty it doesn't matter?!

I've read GOOD comic books that looked like shit.

I've read total CRAP comic books that looked just awesome.

(Though more often than not they do tend to go hand in hand).
Not saying that at all :)

If it looks great, that means it looks great, then you need to have a good story at least.

If it looks crap, then it looks crap, an amazing story isnt exactly worthwhile if the artwork is unbearably bad, may as well go read a book in that case if your only after a story :D

I used to buy many amazing looking comics, with amazing stories, so it is possible :D just the thing is 95% of comics look like shit I think, well apart from the pretty covers :lol:
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

See with Preacher - is it all one continueous story? So I'll need to collect it in volumes? Don't they have a complete collection or something?

I wanna give Daredevil a shot. That omnibus looks pricey though... :s
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

BiscLimpkit wrote:See with Preacher - is it all one continueous story? So I'll need to collect it in volumes? Don't they have a complete collection or something?
As far as I know, there isn't a 'complete' Preacher; I've had the individual volumes for a while now, but I collected them after the story had been done and dusted and I haven't seen any new editions or anything since.
Still heartily recommend it though :)
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

How many volumes are there? Is each volume a standalone story or are they "to be continued...?"

Currently reading Batman: Year One.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Picked up all three volumes of the hardcover "Batman Illustrated" which collects all the Batman related work of Neal Adams. This is glorious stuff,some superb writing from Denny O'neil. "The Joker's Five Way Revenge" from Batman #251 is a particular favourite.
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

BiscLimpkit wrote:How many volumes are there? Is each volume a standalone story or are they "to be continued...?"
There're 9 in total and there is a general continuation of the story, but along the way, a couple of volumes are of the 'one-shot' types; backstories to some characters, or side-stories to them. These are usually done by different artists and the effect can be quite jarring.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Thanks Kurg - I might just buy the first volume and see what happens.

Waterstones have a 3 for 2 offer just now...

I'm really obsessed with graphic novels now (this happened just last week). Gonna try and seek out some Manga too. I've got Ichi the Killer (aka Koroshiya Ichi) - all ten volumes of the original Manga. Once all the Oldboy's are out - I'll read them (as Park Chan Wook's film was based on the manga - for those that don't know).
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

To be honest, if the first volume of Preacher doesn't grip you, then there's something wrong with you :P. For myself, it ended up being one of those stories that I needed to read the conclusion of, so hooked on it was I. :)
Another series of books I'm reading is called The Walking Dead, the premise of which is basically a zombie flick fleshed out. The known world has been 'infected' and a rag-tag bunch of survivors attempt to... survive. :lol: Pretty good characterisation and plenty of zombie action make this another series of graphics novels I'm enjoying.

Wiki has some info on Preacher (that I can't link, for some reason :(); might save you some cash if you're not interested in the synopsis. Don't read too far down though - it's a bit spoiler-tastic.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Reading Koroshiya Ichi (aka Ichi the Killer) just now. Onto volume 2.

Absolutely superb so far. I love the art - the backgrounds in particular are surprisingly well detailed. Almost photo-like. The characters look so sinister - almost a hybrid of "wide-eyed" manga and realistic drawing style. What I really love however is the level of depth it goes into the darkest desires of the human mind. It's a unique, unappologetically sick mixture of expressive comedy and gruesome drama.

This is how manga should be!

Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

If health permits, I'll be visiting Amsterdam tomorrow and hopefully I can pick up Superman: Birthright for under 20 bucks.
Also thinking about ordering the udon Streetfighter comics. They are remaking Super Streetfighter 2 Turbo btw, so with HD graphics and all that.
I already have pt1 and quite liked the art, although story is just so-so. Also not very fond of the size of the book, as it's about as big as a manga-booklet, only much thinner.

Plus I'll be picking up the newest issues of Dr. Slump, which is just a fantastic funny manga, as well as hopefully the newest Naruto manga (nr. 14).
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...