Music Hall Of Fame - Channel 4 (9pm)

Literally. Unless it Should Go Elsewhere
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Music Hall Of Fame - Channel 4 (9pm)

Post by grim_tales »

Will probably watch the footy (MOTD 2) instead tonight, and see who was voted in tomorrow.

I see Robbie fecking Williams has been voted in representing the 90's (!) I've got nothing against his music (well some of it ;) ) after all he did record the superb [i]Angels[/i], but as a solo artist he's really a 00's surely? I know he was a soloist at the end of the last decade but the bulk of his work in the 90's was done with Take That who barely got a mention. Fools.

Similarly whilst wholeheartedly agreeing with the notion that Frank Sinatra, Bille Holiday and Louis Armstrong deserve to be included on the strength of ther immense talent, the programme ignored the fact that a lot of their pioneering work was done in previous decades (some before the 50's).

Sinatra started recording in the 40's and his classic of classics [i]My Way[/i] is from 1971.

Louis Armstrong started recording as early as the 20's and Billie Holiday the 30's. The song for which Billie will be remembered most, [i]Strange Fruit[/i], dates from 1939.

I love Armstrong's classics like [i]Wonderful World[/i] and [i]We Have All The Time In The World[/i], but despite having great talent and success, neither Holiday, Sinatra or Armstrong contributed anything "new" to music in the 1950's IMO.
I do agree with Chuck Berry and Little Richard though, arguably they did something new for the time, and influenced many other bands later in the 60's (even the Beatles and Stones IMO) and beyond.

Rant over! :D ;)

[Edited on 14-11-2004 by grim_tales]