The End Of Cheap Jersey Goods??

Sell Your Stuff, and What's on Sale
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The End Of Cheap Jersey Goods??

Post by romerojpg »

It was part of my silent PC, was a no brainer for me to pay a little more for a Blu Ray drive over a dvd drive. As my PC uses my bigscreen anyway its the simple way.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Reading this article,this reduction to £15 is just the start,specifically they are going to finish off the jersey imports within 12 months

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/mar/2 ... t-loophole
working class blu-ray fan
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Poor Jersey will go bust and everyone will leave the place!
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I have absolutely no qualms with paying V.A.T, what I can't abide are those fucking oily, extorting, corrupt couriers/royal mail who charge an obscene price for basically opening a package then re-sealing it - or just checking the customs declaration label as it is in 99.999% of the cases. Royal Mail in particular because those lazy arseholes won't even deliver the fucking thing to your door! They want you to travel to them so you can hand over your money for completely theoretical work done on their behalf.

charge me £2-£3 for the handling and 20% for the V.A.T and I'd be happy!
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Shingster wrote:I've said it before and I'll say it again: I have absolutely no qualms with paying V.A.T, what I can't abide are those fucking oily, extorting, corrupt couriers/royal mail who charge an obscene price for basically opening a package re-sealing it - or just checking the customs declaration label as it is in 99.999% of the cases. Royal Mail in particular because those lazy arseholes won't even deliver the fucking thing to your door! They want you to travel to them so you can hand over your money for completely theoretical work done on their behalf.

charge me £2-£3 for the handling and 20% for the V.A.T and I'd be happy!
I know. I was mad about that shit as well when it happened to me with amazon.com. I told the courier to send it back, emailed amazon about it my postoffice trying to rip me off by charging me 20 extra bucks for it, and they refunded the whole order...
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

If you were based in the UK Yi I think you still would have had to pay for the Royal Mail service charge regardless of whether you sent it back or not.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Shingster wrote:If you were based in the UK Yi I think you still would have had to pay for the Royal Mail service charge regardless of whether you sent it back or not.
What would they do if I didn't? Not give me my package? Fuck them. I ordered a package, but I didn't order these crazy handling costs they force upon me, so I won't be paying that.

And even if they'd somehow force me to pay, then I'd make sure to go to the postoffice at night and throw a brick through the window OR SOMETHING. Hell I don't know what I'd do, but if they're gonna force me to bend over and stick it to me, then I'll clench like a madman so they'll regret it for the rest of their lifes.

No Brad, don't PM me. I was using an exaggerated metaphor.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Shingster is right. The big problem is not actually the customs but rather the greedy Post Office who currently charge £8 just for the privilege of you treking out to pick up your own mail which they hold hostage. So not matter the customs charge you wind up paying more for the handling fee. Disgrace. Why don't the government do something about that daylight robbery?
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

Markgway wrote:Shingster is right. The big problem is not actually the customs but rather the greedy Post Office who currently charge £8 just for the privilege of you treking out to pick up your own mail which they hold hostage. So not matter the customs charge you wind up paying more for the handling fee. Disgrace. Why don't the government do something about that daylight robbery?
Since when does our government stand up for the best interests of their citizens!?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:while we're discussing multi-region i'll mention A.I. & People Vs. Larry Flynt usa discs are Region Coded,a Paramount release.bit odd to see Paramount starting to Region code more now,The Fighter is also region locked.
I bet it's because BD is more popular now. They didn't dare use it back in the day, it would've stopped BD growth.
saltysam wrote:Reading this article,this reduction to £15 is just the start,specifically they are going to finish off the jersey imports within 12 months: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/mar/2 ... t-loophole
From this article:

"Campaigners against the loophole have claimed it has precipitated the failure of hundreds of high street businesses as smaller firms have been unable to compete with VAT-free internet prices.

The Guardian has for years been campaigning to highlight the loss to taxpayers from this VAT loophole as well as the fatal impact on many high street stores and jobs. The number of independent music and DVD stores more than halved between 2005 and 2009, falling from 985 to 446, according to the Entertainment Retailers Association."

Fuck right off! I flatly refuse to believe the prices HMV, WH Smiths etc... charge in store is remotely reasonable. They rip us off and now we've got an avenue to give them the finger and go elsewhere. Don't even get me started on Royal Mail and these charges.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Yi-Long wrote:What would they do if I didn't? Not give me my package? Fuck them. I ordered a package, but I didn't order these crazy handling costs they force upon me, so I won't be paying that.
I dunno, shit in your next package maybe? Best sniff before you open in the future! :icon_suspect:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

They're cracking down further:

http://www.techradar.com/news/video/blu ... 12-1039711

It looks like the article is making three points:

1. Retail importers who're based in the channel islands etc... will no longer be able to import discs into the UK without paying tax.
2. Tax comes into play importing from countries outside The EU, where the current £15 LVCR will stay.
3. LVCR is being dropped from it's current £15 to nothing next year for EU countries.

Which makes no sense because we don't pay tax (so no customs fee) for goods from within the EU anyway?

Can someone explain this? Have I understood the points correctly? Thanks.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The loophole will be closed from April next year right?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That's what it says but what loop hole?
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The loophole meaning we got cheaper DVDs from Jersey :D
I thought the end of the loophole, meant Low Value Consignment Relief (or something like that) would come to an end so now all the Jersey suppliers, (Play, Amazon's Jersey supllier, etc) have to pay tax, I think :?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

grim_tales wrote:I thought the end of the loophole, meant Low Value Consignment Relief (or something like that) would come to an end so now all the Jersey suppliers, (Play, Amazon's Jersey supllier, etc) have to pay tax, I think :?
As I understand it, they're two different things. LVCR relates to us and getting stung importing goods over £15, retailers after April will be charged tax (at I guess the UK rate of 20%). Meaning prices will go up.

Oh don't know, it's very confusing.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Now you can buy things of value £15 or less from the Channel Islands and not be charged VAT.
From 1st April everything you buy from the channel islands will be charged VAT. This is going to be included in the sale price rather than collected upon delivery.

LVCR will still exist for countries outside the EU.

That's how I understand it.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks. That's helped. It basically means therefore prices may go up (to cover the additional tax they're having to pay). It's not tax but import duty that pisses everyone off. Does it mean, we could get stung from customs when importing from the likes of Play? The Channel Islands isn't in the EU after all.
degeneration wrote:LVCR will still exist for countries outside the EU.
And as The Channel Islands isn't in The EU, does it mean we'll have to worry importing parcels valued over £15? Thanks again.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

I think, that as the Channel Islands are under UK authority (aren't they) and as you are paying VAT on anything you buy, you shouldn't have to worry about import duty, as that shouldn't be an issue. Buying anything from there should be like buying anything from any other part of the UK. That's my understanding anyway, I could be wrong.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I think the Channel Islands thing is designed to hit loophole merchants rather than consumers, unlike the VAT reduction shit.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

But if they have to pay tax, we'll end up paying it on top of orders too.

The Channel Islands are under UK authority but they're run semi-autonomously.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:But if they have to pay tax, we'll end up paying it on top of orders too.
Yes, that's why I said designed to affect. In real terms we will be affected indirectly.