Terminator 2: UK Blu-ray Steel Book £12.95

Sell Your Stuff, and What's on Sale
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Terminator 2: UK Blu-ray Steel Book £12.95

Post by bradavon »

http://www.blahdvd.com/DVD/Terminator-2 ... .htm?sr=sa

It's the same price at DVD.co.uk but BlahDVD own DVD.co.uk anyway.

It's £7.95 for the non-Tin version: http://www.blahdvd.com/DVD/Terminator-2 ... .htm?sr=sa
Or £7.87 for the original blu-ray (only the Extended cut!), if you prefer this version: http://www.blahdvd.com/DVD/Terminator-2 ... .htm?sr=sa

I used to own the German HD-DVD and the Steel Book looked ace. I've now got the USA SE and it's standard case looks so dull in comparison (USA didn't get a Steel Tin version). Normally I wouldn't bother but this is "Terminator 2" and I'll be able to sell my USA SE on eBay. £12.95 is a great price for the Steel Book version too. I'll compare both picture quality when it arrives. No captures though. I cannot do that. I suspect the disc contents are identical.

This will also go really nicely next to my Terminator Salvation Tin (T3 is rubbish). We just need Terminator Blu-ray now!
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Terminator 2: UK Blu-ray Steel Book £12.95

Post by saltysam »

£12.95 for a tin version? definite pass.play sent me a tin of T4 and they are nothing more than a silly gimmick imo.
working class blu-ray fan
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I am confused - a tin is costing you an extra what? 6 quid over the standard version :thumbs: Bargain that haha
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It's an "LE" tin! So £12.95 is a good price.

I'd have thought you'd know about LEs. Many people pay way over the odds for Japanese/Korean LE content. You too in fact.

Normally I wouldn't be bothered but this is T2 and I want it to look great on my bookshelf. Besides I can make the £12.95 back selling the USA one I have. Fair enough Salty. I think they look much better. I wasn't going to pay £20 but £12.95, yes please.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

You truly think that's an LE tin Brad :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yes. They won't be making it forever. Why would they? They also sell it without tin. I never said it was limited to a hundred runs or anything like that. Besides the fact it was an LE wasn't my deciding factor. LEs don't interest me.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

You are the one who brought "LE" into the topic,putting forward that it's a good price because it's an "LE". As the transfer on this isn't very good,i hope you get a top price for your "LE" when a far superior version gets released ;)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:You are the one who brought "LE" into the topic,putting forward that it's a good price because it's an "LE".
I did because it is.
saltysam wrote:As the transfer on this isn't very good,i hope you get a top price for your "LE" when a far superior version gets released ;)
I've already discussed this to death. It beats the old version and has all 3 cuts. Enough said. I used to own the German HD-DVD remember, so know what the old version looks like. That isn't great either. Both have equal problems frankly.

I take it, you're holding off getting T2 on Blu-ray? Oh wait, you've bought it too.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:
It beats the old version
Transfer wise? no it doesn't.
bradavon wrote:Oh wait, you've bought it too.
I have indeed,the earlier release for the superior transfer quality.you on the other hand have bought the dvd,hd-dvd,usa BD and now the famed "LE"...when a better release surfaces are you going nap :notworthy:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Old One = Better transfer for less than half the price of the Tin, bobby dazzler.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:Transfer wise? no it doesn't.
Remind me again, have you seen both transfers on a display screen? You bleat on about Fist of Fury looking good on TV and not to rely on captures. This is no different. The original Euro HD-DVDs/BDs have really murky colours and aren't much sharper than the New Transfer, which is too bright. They are sharper agreed but nowhere near as much as they should be. I decided (as I had to choice) I preferred the new transfer but both are equally shoddy.

Frankly, T2 will never look good until an actually new HD transfer is made. Also like I said I want ALL 3 CUTS. Tell me again, how else I can achieve this? I sure ain't buying that shoddy USA BD from several years back.

Besides, it's still a good price for a Tin, that will go out of print. So the bargain stands. Isn't that the entire point of this subforum?
saltysam wrote:you on the other hand have bought the dvd,hd-dvd,usa BD and now the famed "LE"
Haven't you bought over a dozen version of Enter the Dragon? And your point is what exactly. Yes, when/if a new version comes with truly better picture quality (and all 3 cuts) I'll buy it again. It's only the best action film ever made.
romerojpg wrote:Old One = Better transfer.
Transfer wise? no it doesn't. You yourself have said you didn't buy it. So are solely basing it on screen captures. Which as you know, only show so much.
Last edited by bradavon on 23 Mar 2010, 21:15, edited 2 times in total.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The real question is: Is the image quality on the Skynet Ed for the TC better than that on the original Lionsgate TC?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:The real question is: Is the image quality on the Skynet Ed for the TC better than that on the original Lionsgate TC?
Has this been definitely answered? I can say the original BD is only a BD25, MPEG2 and only regular DTS 5.1. The new one is a BD50, MPEG4 (so you'd hope better compressed/encoding) and DTS-HD MA 6.1.

If it was light and day you guys would have a point but it's not. Both need improvement and only one of these releases offers all 3 cuts. So really there is a very legitimate reason to want the latest release.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:.
Remind me again, have you seen both transfers on a display screen?
Have you? it's been well established across many forums the older release has a better transfer but agreed,neither are perfect.
bradavon wrote: You bleat on about Fist of Fury looking good on TV
Bleat :clap:
bradavon wrote:Also like I said I want ALL 3 CUTS.
Says the guy whose active lifestyle means he barely has time to watch anything,now he wants all 3 cuts of the same movie :clap:
bradavon wrote:.Besides, it's still a good price for a Tin
not really,i can get a tin of heinz for about 50p.
bradavon wrote:So the bargain stands. Isn't that the entire point of this subforum?
is it such an uber-bargain that it merited it's own thread instead of going into the general one? hardly i would say.

bradavon wrote:Haven't you bought over a dozen version of Enter the Dragon?
Have i?you tell me.
bradavon wrote:And your point is what exactly?
That you are a true idiot?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:Have you?
I've said a few times in this thread I own the USA BD and have owned the German HD-DVD. Did you miss that?
saltysam wrote:is it such an uber-bargain that it merited it's own thread instead of going into the general one? hardly i would say
I'd say so. T2 is very popular. T4 isn't hence I didn't start a new thread for that one.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:
romerojpg wrote:Old One = Better transfer.
Transfer wise? no it doesn't. You yourself have said you didn't buy it. So are solely basing it on screen captures. Which as you know, only show so much.
YES IT IS :lol: you may like noise reduction and sharpening, the vast majority of us hate it.

Why would I buy it when I can borrow it and not go off screen captures :thumbs:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I'm going to repeat what I said earlier, as it basically sums it up:

If it was light and day you guys would have a point but it's not. Both need improvement and only one of these releases offers all 3 cuts. So really there is a very legitimate reason to want the latest release.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote: If it was light and day you guys would have a point but it's not.
Yeah but we are talking about the Transfer, not 3 pointless cuts, that about 1% of buyers will ever watch all 3. You wont thats for sure :D Icould not care less about 3 cuts and extras, I want the best image, thats the one I own. End of.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:I want the best image, thats the one I own.
Best meant loosely I hope. It's still not very good.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Indeed, I am sure someone, somewhere is right now working on the new version for its 20th birthday next year! :lol: and we will buy it all over again :thumbs:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Hell Yes! :D. I wouldn't keep re-buying it but would buy another version with decent PQ and all 3 cuts.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

As expected the UK BD SE and USA BD USA are identical.

The only two differences are Region A for the USA and Region B for the UK. The UK disc also asks whether you live in The UK/Germany/France, presumabely so it connects to the right BD Live server. Not that BD Live interests me. Both discs take an insane time to load too, easily a minute.

On second thought the picture quality is pretty much fine. If you saw it cold, you'd have little problem with it. Yes it should be sharper but it's not a major problem and besides I've definitely seen worse.

The tin is gorgeous, better than the German HD-DVD one.