The Members eBay Items Thread!

Sell Your Stuff, and What's on Sale
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Why charge so much for postage? One disc never costs more than a £1 within the UK. £2.99 total for Batman Begins is fine though IMHO.
Because selling a DVD for 99p plus 78p postage is giving it away and I need to cover my eBay/PayPal costs, plus like you say the "total" price is still fair.

IMO people get too worked up over postage costs. Work out the total price and if that's fair buy it, if not don't.
Markgway wrote:I've always gone by what an item is worth not what I can get for it. I know that's naive but I hate screwing people (you know what I mean).
I don't consider you are. We all have access to the same resources, these people are adults so can find out the price for themselves.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

I just got £11.50 for the Total Recall HD-DVD meaning the BD will be virtually a straight exchange. only got £6.63 for the Fog so that has cost me a fiver to change to BD. given outrageous ebay/paypal fees (you effectively get charged 3 times,listing,final valuation & paypal) £2 a dvd is bare minimum postage for me to help cover this.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

gasteropod wrote:I was under the impression that parcels needed to be taken to the post office, so that they can weigh them and charge you the appropriate amount. I always pay more than 36p to send parcels off first class.
Nope. You can do but it's not compulsory. Not if you get the weight and size right. I always go to the post office if it's the odd item or I want proof of postage but not when you send loads.

Use a set of scales and this link: www.royalmail.com/pricefinder

Sorted! I said 66p or 78p not 36p ;). A DVD weighs 115-125 grams which covers it for the 100-150 gram bracket, DVDs will also fit through the letter box as "Large Letter". A "large letter" that weighs 100-150 grams is always 66p second class or 78p first class. Buy appropriate stamps to cover if you want to send it 1st or 2nd class and you don't "have" to go to the post office.

This is obviously just for DVDs, or CDs, which weigh roughly the same.
Markgway wrote:I always go to the Post Office myself to be sure as it's not worth having the recipient be forced to go and collect their parcel at the sorting office and pay for incorrect postage (it happens) just because the sender was too bloody lazy to do it the right way.
You wouldn't if you were posting as much as I do, taking 100 items to the post office takes forever. You have to when sending abroad or it's too complicated to work out the right value though or of course it's too big to fit in the post box.

Do it right and they won't have to pay extra. It's not as complicated as most thing. Follow the link above and you shouldn't go wrong. I do occasionally but the majority they work out what I expected them too.

Also remember the staff at the post office make mistakes and charge too much. I've had to correct some.
saltysam wrote:given outrageous ebay/paypal fees (you effectively get charged 3 times,listing,final valuation & paypal) £2 a dvd is bare minimum postage for me to help cover this.
Exactly!

That said eBay is still easily The Number 1 place to get rid of stuff. I rarely bother with forums any more, it's rarely worth the bother. I tried Play.com once too, they were mostly a waste of time too.

Amazon charge a fortune to list. I've not used them.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The Members eBay Items Thread!

Post by bradavon »

I could've sworn I'd posted this, anyway. My eBay listing:

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZbradavon

If anyone wants any LMK. I can always cancel listings.