The Chinese Zodiac - Jackie Chan

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

The Chinese Zodiac - Jackie Chan

Post by grim_tales »

Looks like the real Armour of God 3 - looking forward to this from the trailer. Could be good fun :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... YtAbUU5jk8

I'm not sure if he's going to be speaking English in the whole movie or a mixture of English and Cantonese :?
Looks like an English language film to me.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: The Chinese Zodiac - Jackie Chan

Post by saltysam »

doesn't sound lie it's turned out well :?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/ ... iew/405901
working class blu-ray fan
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Doesnt look good - and Brett Ratner is executive producer :?
Jackie could be in Expendables 3 according to a story down the side of that page.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The reviews have been piss poor and the film opened at #3 in Hong Kong.

A huge disappointment for Jackie... but then he brings all his bad luck on himself.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Markgway wrote:The reviews have been piss poor and the film opened at #3 in Hong Kong.

A huge disappointment for Jackie... but then he brings all his bad luck on himself.
LOL and it broke records in the mainland (so far best opening day, and one of only 3 films to break 200 m yuan in its first week) and will probably break more. And it's doing very well in the other territories.

Fuck the early reviews and the HK audience.

They're damning and pre judging Jackie like a certain bullets member ;)
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

luckystars wrote:LOL and it broke records in the mainland (so far best opening day, and one of only 3 films to break 200 m yuan in its first week) and will probably break more. And it's doing very well in the other territories.

Fuck the early reviews and the HK audience.

They're damning and pre judging Jackie like a certain bullets member ;)
Come on, man. How far can you stretch your fan loyalty? Only reason film has done so well in China is because of Jackie's notorious ass-kissing. That the film didn't do well in Hong Kong is very significant, given the budget and hype it should've been a massive local grosser. I wasn't impressed by the trailers, but the reviews have been worse than I expected, and have pretty much confirmed my fears. Of course I'll decide for myself at some stage, but you'd be a fool to expect anything good from this turkey.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Markgway wrote:Of course I'll decide for myself at some stage, but you'd be a fool to expect anything good from this turkey.
LOL ok Mark.

The HK audience are boycotting Jackie anyway, regardless of whether the films any good or not.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Why are they doing that?
Shame, as The Myth (2005) reminded me of Armour of God somewhat, I enjoyed that :D
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

grim_tales wrote:The Myth (2005) reminded me of Armour of God somewhat, I enjoyed that :D
I didn't mind the present day bits, the stuff in the past with the inexplicably skewed image bored me though.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

grim_tales wrote:Why are they doing that?
Shame, as The Myth (2005) reminded me of Armour of God somewhat, I enjoyed that :D
Jackies political views
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I was never impressed with the trailer TBH, and even now that I'm in Hong Kong and it's playing in theaters right now, I'm much more looking forward to Wong Kar Wai's The Grandmasters, which is coming out in 2 weeks orso.

There's also a Chow Yun Fat movie playing, as well as a The Flying Guillotines movie, both of which look more interesting than Jackie's crappy looking film.

As far as his popularity in Hong Kong goes, it seems he mostly makes the headlines with ridiculous statements ('I threatened triads with guns and grenades'), or ignorant statements ('Hong Kong is a city of protest' which many viewed as Jackie opposing free speech).

Personally, I don't really care about all that stuff. Jackie can be as stupid as he wants to be. I just feel he's had a very poor output the last 15 years orso, and this movie doesn't look as any kind of comeback what so ever.

About it becoming a huge box-office hit in China: He IS still the biggest asian movie star, he HAS been pampering to Chinese people, and there are now more and more people in China with disposable income.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The Grandmasters is WKW's Ho Yun Jia (sp?) film right? Forgot about that one :D
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

No, it's his Ip Man movie :) Which looks pretty good judging from the latest trailer.

I'm not expecting a great martial arts movie. I'm just expecting a very good Wong Kar Wai movie. If it also delivers in the martial arts department, that will be a plus for me :)
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:oops: I meant Ip Man, my bad :)