Special ID (2013)

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Re: Special ID (2013)

Post by luckystars »

Most potentially exciting project since Flashpoint!?
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Beat TG
Pedicab Driver

Post by Beat TG »

Indeed it is!!! :D
Beat TG
Pedicab Driver

Post by Beat TG »

Donnie Yen’s “Special ID” Releases Trailer

Donnie Yen (甄子丹) was in Beijing this week to promote his new action movie, Special ID <特殊身份>. With Donnie as the film’s producer, action choreographer, and lead actor, Special ID promises to thrill with its gripping action scenes. The official movie trailer was released this week. Special ID will arrive in theaters in October 2013.

The story takes place in Hong Kong and Shenzhen, in which Donnie’s character is caught between the police and gangs. Donnie said, “I have done films for more than 31 years. I have tried every genre, but modern action movies are my personal favorite. From filming SPL: Sha Po Lang <杀破狼> and Flash Point <导火线> to today – when I have the opportunity to film Special ID – everything, including the packaging, the content, and the production have been upgraded.”

Director Clarence Fok (霍耀良) said the action moves in the film were all very realistic. Oscar award winning cinematographer Peter Pau (鲍德熹) described the film as bloody and emotional. He added, “There are now several high-grossing Chinese movies which are low budget and did not require a lot of effort. We used a lot of sincerity, blood, sweat and emotions to film this movie. It is an important milestone in film-making.”

On Clash with Vincent Zhao

When Vincent Zhao (赵文卓) had first signed on to film Special ID opposite Donnie Yen, fans were excited at the prospect of the two martial arts stars in one movie. However, the actors soon clashed on set due to different working styles. Vincent accused Donnie for being domineering, resulting in Vincent being forced out of the project in March 2012. Andy On (安志杰) later stepped in for Vincent’s role.

At the press conference, Donnie was asked about the truth behind Vincent’s accusation that he was a tyrant on the movie set. Before Donnie could reply, actress Jing Tian (景甜) said, “Do you expect everyone to be gentle all the time? Donnie is an especially serious person so some people may misunderstand him to be a tyrant. But this is right. He has a responsibility to ensure the movie and every actor is doing well.”

Donnie also added, “Art itself is subjective. Many people take ten years or even a lifetime to film movies. It’s that kind of persistence.”

Regarding claims that his remuneration for the movie exceeded 80 million RMB, Donnie said, “It was definitely a joke. Jackie Chan (成龙) and I are really good friends. I just met up with him last night. Who can beat him?”

Lawsuit with Tan Bing

Donnie became embroiled in a lawsuit when director Tan Bing (檀冰) claimed that Donnie seized his film project, Ultimate Codebreaker <终极解码> and renamed it to Special ID. Tan Bing alleged that his investor had withdrawn from the project and thus, caused him to lose his job as scriptwriter and director. Tan brought the matter to court and demanded compensation from Donnie. In return, Donnie filed a lawsuit against Tan for damaging his reputation, demanding compensation of 5 RMB million in the process.

Donnie said, “I hope the Beijing court will give me a fair judgement. The production crew told me Starlit International Media and Tan Bing already had a broken relationship. Anyway, it’s not true. Special ID is an independent project.” Donnie added, “I feel this society can be very confusing. I have made films for 30 years or so. The most important thing is to be steadfast, so that I can answer to myself and the viewers. I can’t control what other people say.”

Source: http://www.jaynestars.com/movies/donnie ... s-trailer/
Beat TG
Pedicab Driver

Post by Beat TG »

Teaser trailer with English subs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-JfDx-pqvA
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

2 questions.

Any pics of the Vincent Zhao filmed scenes?

Is the film really as terrible as people are saying??
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
Masterofoneinchpunch
King of Beggars

Post by Masterofoneinchpunch »

luckystars wrote:Is the film really as terrible as people are saying??
No. The fights scenes are awesome, the plot is awful (which technically is a generic description I could put forth to Raid 2 -- which I like by the way I just feel it isn't the best film of 2014).

My comments on the film (Originally from KFC):

I have mixed feelings on Special ID and here is some random unorganized blather. I feel that the plot here is worse than Flashpoint, but the fighting scenes are quite good. Donnie Yen keeps improving his choreography with an eclectic style that does not seem to repeat itself much (with some exceptions like a leg triangle that results in a reversal by picking up and either ramming the participant into something or power bomb ala Flashpoint.) I am seriously impressed with Donnie Yen for his continual work in martial arts, but his improvement as an actor. Some on here were criticizing his "overacting" but it fits the role. I was hoping for more of a Donnie Brasco influence from the aspect of being undercover for too long, but the plot was too disjointed for its own good.

I am not impressed with the script or some of the characters motivations. For example cop Jian Tian, she is either a reckless cop or just stupid (though her fight scene in the car was impressive, her earlier one not as much because her frame is Ally McBeal like where I just feel she would not do any damage; how she got to the car was rather unbelievable.) She has the annoying aspect of "straight cop" where she has to ignore the advice of the sage "street wise", but, of course, puts herself in danger as well as his fellow cops. In one scene she literally jumps into an unseen area putting herself in complete harms way (a no-no for any half-decent cop, because it is an easy set-up for an ambush), but is thankfully saved by Donnie Yen's character who is then taken hostage. She dispatches the bad guy luckily, but then is sad for killing him (yet not sad for getting several officers shot, herself almost shot and Donnie Yen's character almost shot.)

The transition from Hong Kong to China was done fine, but the transition to other locales seemed arbitrary. I lost track of where they were at several points. How did he get back to his Mom so quickly? The whole plot structure was flawed as well (was there a finished script, it does not feel like one) with Collin Chou being badly misused. I do wonder how many of these issues were because of the Mainland's influence/guidelines. I mean the Mainland cops seemed like bumpkins. At first I thought it might be a clever dig from the director, but I wonder if it was just the incompetence of the screenplay and/or director.

But the action was good, damn good in several instances. I liked the repeated ground punches that Yen used in a fight scene involving multiple fighters against him. Vicious yes, but effective. I agree with he sometimes gets off a little easier than he should for dramatic urgency, but I was still impressed with the variations in the choreography.

Now if they had only built up a decent film around him.