Unleashed/Danny The Dog

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Unleashed/Danny The Dog

Post by degeneration »

Monkey Peaches posted links to reviews on Jet Li's film... sound very very good!

http://fan-sites.org/jet-li/dtd_rev1.php (no spoilers)

http://www.jetliuk.com/grafiks/cms/page.asp?686 (some minor spoilers - although are more spoilers if you read the synopsis - just skip it and go straight to the review!)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

When's this coming? We've been waiting forever.

Why does Jet make so many films in France? Nothing against the country. It's just an odd choice to make a blockbuster international film.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

I think it is good he is not going for the film which sound more like a blockbuster. If the script needs them to shoot in France, they should do so. More and more Hollywood-films are being shot on location outside of the US, because shooting permissions in the US became unbelievably expensive.

I think the fact that Morgan Freeman is in this film is a great help to make it a blockbuster, though. I mean he just won an Oscar. Guess what will be written under his name on posters and DVD covers. Bob Hoskins is in it as well and on top of them all of course Jet Li. I think with all that in mind this can easily become a high grossing box-office film. I'm definitely paying to watch it in the theatre over here.

By the way, why is exactly France an odd choice? Great films like "Ronin" have been shot there. On not to forget the beginning of "Aces Go Places 3", he he he! :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

thelostdragon wrote:By the way, why is exactly France an odd choice? Great films like "Ronin" have been shot there. On not to forget the beginning of "Aces Go Places 3", he he he! :D
Two reasons:

* The film is only set in France because Luc Besson doesn't want to shoot outside of his home country.
* For a star who wants to break America, shooting constantly outside of it is an odd choice if you ask me.
* Jet Li isn't going to learn much new English in France.

Ronin wouldn't work so well outside the parisian streets of Paris or more to the point it gave it a great European edge.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

bradavon wrote:* For a star who wants to break America, shooting constantly outside of it is an odd choice if you ask me.
Does he actually want to break the American market? I'm sure he's not totally against that idea, but I haven't heard about him saying that this was his no.1 goal.
* Jet Li isn't going to learn much new English in France.
I think his English is quite good by now. Of course it could use some more training, but so does Jackie Chan's English.
Ronin wouldn't work so well outside the parisian streets of Paris or more to the point it gave it a great European edge.
That's true and it makes it obvious that American blockbusters can take place in other parts of the world.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

According to http://www.gazzasmoviepage.co.uk/ this is down for a June 10th release in the UK.

Can't wait that long!!!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Degeneration. I thought that site was dead. I guess not.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I think its out in France now!
Unrealnils
Pedicab Driver

Post by Unrealnils »

jebus feels like ages away :mrgreen:
Constantly M.I.A
padayachy3000
Jackie Chan's Little Toe

Post by padayachy3000 »

Danny the Dog - Opening Scene

Finally, a non-HK production that doesn't resort to MTV-style cutting and zooming for its fight scenes. Pretty brutal stuff:

http://s51.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1SVS ... 218DV2B1AZ

AVI, 30mb
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

WOW WOW WOW!

Based on what I've seen so far of this film I reckon it could very well be Jet Li's best film period. The fights look awesome, as does the story, as does the acting calibre.

I just wish they hadn't changed the title this is now it's archileels (sp?) heel, based on what we've seen thus far.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

I want to see this film NOW!!!

That looked fecking good! The fights, while having a touch of wire-ish looking moves on one or two occassions, looked very good in a realism sense and VERY brutal, what with the repeated head slamming on the floor type thing.

I still find it hard to believe Jet Li is in a film with Morgan Freeman and Bob Hoskins!!! Who would EVER have thought that would be the case after the likes of Romeo Must Die and Cradle 2 The Grave?!!

Now that isn't a dig at those films, just a point that he was always paired with rappers pretty much, not actors!

This is higher on my MUST SEE list for this year than Star Wars Episode III is!!! THAT is how much I am anticipating this film!!!

Gotta lower my expectations I think though... otherwise I'll be disappointed.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Its still called Danny the Dog in UK from what I am seeing, the soundtrack is called it! so I am sure the film will be, the soundtracks out now, the films not out for another few months :( June 10thish
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Romero I love you :D . Okay not really I'm just most chuffed.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Well it could change still :lol: but if the album is called that I assume they will call the film that, the album is by Masive Attack I think? I picked it up in the shop and looked, looks like one group composed all the songs and the tracks may be only by them in the film.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The Danny The Dog snippet looked awesome 8) Even though I wasn't getting any sound (my speakers aren't connected right). :(

Looking forward to this! :mrgreen: WOW! :mrgreen:
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I cannot bring myself to watch the clip :) I await the full film and cannot wait much longer, its killing me. Hope they stick with the release date and dont push it back more and more.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

According to CriEnglish, Unleashed/Danny The Dog has been banned in China (!)
Kung Fu star Jet Li's latest action flick "Danny the Dog" has failed to gain approval from mainland film sensors due to a problem with the film's American poster.

Working with French director Luc Besson and teaming up with Morgan Freeman and Bob Hoskins, Jet Li plays Danny, a man raised in captivity and trained as an illegal pit fighter by Bob Hoskins.

In the American poster, Jet, with a chain on the neck, is seen warding off a foot which is about to step on him.

After the poster was released on the web, many people stated the imaged disgraced Jet's status as the Chinese Kung Fu King.

Reacting to the news, Jet Li said he felt sorry for the negative opinions generated from the US poster.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Banned because of a poster?!??!?!

If they disagreed with the content of the film, that's one thing, but a poster?!?! Why don't they just ban the poster and not the film?!?!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Yeah true, that seems really wierd to me, they could make their own freakin' poster.. no? :?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I agree it's extreme but like many religious things it's seems extreme to the non-believer such as us. I could be mistaken but this sounds like the poster is against the Buddhist ideology the feet being dirty.

Plus Jet Li being a Beijingian (I've probably just made up this word) I guess they don't want him look bad.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Shows you how sad some religions are really, people should not bow down to religion ever! :roll: they need to get a life! :roll:
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

But Jet is very very budhist, and he co-produced the movie... so if he has absolutely no problem with it (and he hasnt, according to his words on his website concerning this issue), why should other chinese!?
Does anyone really see the poster and think'; Ha! That yellow bastard is right where he belongs!' Ofcourse not. Well... a few dumb-ass braindead racist might think like that, but 99,9% of the people wouldnt even think about race, budhism, or whatever.

People are making a big deal over nothing...
Those chinese are just a bunch of whining, crying pussies! :P (I kid ofcourse)
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I would guess because their are different levels of Buddhism just as there are Christianity. While I don't adhere to any such formalised religion I do feel it's wrong to disrespect them when we don't fully understand them.

What I find really stupid is doing this will only help the massive bootleg issue in China!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The French R2 is out in August, with thanks to the Bisc man:

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?c=6703

And thanks to David Golding from DVDAnswers.com I bring you the HK R3 out in July:

http://www.cd-wow.com/detail_results_2. ... ffid=13858

It has DTS and a 20 min making of.

Neither have the bastardised title!