I like the Miami Vice trailer

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

Where... do you people go to watch your films?! The sound was only excessively loud when the camera was positioned right up next to an assault rifle or something firing away, which is fair. If someone stopped firing to reload or to tell someone to move to a new position, you could hear them fine, at least at the Vue cinema I go to.
And I really didn't have a problem understanding what was being said.

As for the look, well, you don't really see nighttime shooting the way that Mann does it. He started trying to alter the look of the night sky in Heat; De Niro is standing on his balcony overlooking a valley or something in the scene.
There was actually a touch of Saving Private Ryan I thought to the final shoot-out; the camera moving from one area to the next in a handheld style.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Miami Vice 4/5

Yup I felt this was pretty damn good. The Linkin Park/Jay Z song at the start got me in the mood, and I kept humming it (in my head) throughout the movie.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Kurgan wrote:Where... do you people go to watch your films?!
A bootleg VCD down China Town.
Kurgan wrote:The sound was only excessively loud when the camera was positioned right up next to an assault rifle or something firing away, which is fair. If someone stopped firing to reload or to tell someone to move to a new position, you could hear them fine, at least at the Vue cinema I go to.
And I really didn't have a problem understanding what was being said.
That's good for you but at the Odean I went to it sure as hell wasn't and going by the review at Channel4.com it was deliberate so we as the viewer were confused at what was going on as the two leads were (Thanks Mann if this is true!).

Don't get me wrong I follow parts of the plot and good hear things fine when characters spoke clearly and to the camera but generally this didn't happen so I was shit creek without a paddle.

Remember I said I enjoyed it. It's just I wish I'd been allowed to enjoy it more.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup I know it was Manns intention to have the sound the way it was, no idea why but he wanted it that way and I guess it goes with the look.

The thing is Its not just a few people who have said the sound was badly recorded, its a massive amount so its definatley the films fault. The discusion between Asian lady and Drug barron on the bed was staggering! couldnt understand a word, it was if a force ten hurricane was blowing into the mike!!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

LOL I strugged during that scene too :D . I hope the DVD is out soon enough.
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

romerojpg wrote:The discusion between Asian lady and Drug barron on the bed was staggering! couldnt understand a word, it was if a force ten hurricane was blowing into the mike!!
You mean where she tells him that she slept with Crockett and that he's ambitious and that Jorge (not sure if that's how his name is spelt, but anyways) doesn't trust him?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

No idea :) I couldnt hear it :D but there was only 1 scene on a bed so sure thats it.
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

BiscLimpkit wrote:Miami Vice 4/5

Yup I felt this was pretty damn good. The Linkin Park/Jay Z song at the start got me in the mood, and I kept humming it (in my head) throughout the movie.
Mann, that's my fave song of this year (even though I think the song is about 1-2 years old).
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Hohohoho! Sharp as always Brooce. :D
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

Nice punnery :)

It certainly has rocketed up the list of my most listened to songs; 52... nope, wait... 53 now :D
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

I'm a mann on fire. ;)
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

I can't wait to see this. I get a boner thinking about how good Collateral and Heat are.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Kurgan wrote:
romerojpg wrote:The discusion between Asian lady and Drug barron on the bed was staggering! couldnt understand a word, it was if a force ten hurricane was blowing into the mike!!
You mean where she tells him that she slept with Crockett and that he's ambitious and that Jorge (not sure if that's how his name is spelt, but anyways) doesn't trust him?
Yes that's it.

Unlike Romero I followed 70-75% of the plot so had a good idea of what was going on but the rest of it I missed. Which like I said meant I didn't get (and still don't) parts of the plot.

I've heard from many others I'm not alone. For example the first scene after the night club scene at the start, with that moany dude who looked like he was about to commit suicide then did. The one on the side of the highway.

What on EARTH was all that about? A colleague at work saw MV at the W/E too. He also didn't have a Scooby doo about that scene.

Oh and more crucially why on earth did the bad guys suddenly turn on the two cops and kidnap that female cop (the fit as one with nice ass and nice boobies)?
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

OK, the moany dude (who I swear is the clerk at the start of From Dusk Till Dawn) was moaning about his wife being taken hostage to rat out the Russian FBI agents. And then Tubbs makes the call and confirms that his wife's dead. He then just walks out in front of that 18-wheeler. Can't remember the dialogue now, but I do know that I heard it all.
As for the bad guys killing the cops and kidnapping the female cop... the only kidnapping of a female cop I knew of was of Trudi, Ricardo's missus. Jorje had the white supremacists kidnap her as insurance so that Crockett and Tubbs would agree to the re-routed drop point for the shipment.
And the two cops... which ones? The only ones I can remember are at the start (the Russian Feds) and that's because Mr. Moany had ratted 'em out.

Seriously, how bad was the sound in your viewing?! Or were you guys just not paying attention? :P
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

BAH, more shaky-cam + medium shot filmmaking disease! I'll still see it though.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Kurgan wrote:OK, the moany dude (who I swear is the clerk at the start of From Dusk Till Dawn) was moaning about his wife being taken hostage to rat out the Russian FBI agents.
Oh yes his wife but there were Russian FBI agents WTF. I completely missed that one.

So let me get this straight the moaning dude was working undercover for the FBI. The bad guys found out and killed his wife, right? Jeez I missed all that. The scene was over in a few minutes, most of it was shown off screen.

I think another problem is everyone mumbles.
Kurgan wrote:Jorje had the white supremacists kidnap her as insurance so that Crockett and Tubbs would agree to the re-routed drop point for the shipment.
Thanks. I pretty much worked that one out but it was dealt with so quickly.
Kurgan wrote:And the two cops... which ones?
The two leads silly :D
Kurgan wrote:Seriously, how bad was the sound in your viewing?! Or were you guys just not paying attention? :P
Believe me I was concentrating but still missed loads but like I said I followed most of the plot BUT that's not good enough for me I want to understand everything I'm supposed to.

I definitely need to see this one again.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

LMAO at Brooce. :D :D :D :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It's so good you've put it in your siggy!
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

bradavon wrote:So let me get this straight the moaning dude was working undercover for the FBI. The bad guys found out and killed his wife, right? Jeez I missed all that. The scene was over in a few minutes, most of it was shown off screen.
This level of spoiler-tagging is terrible for anyone who doesn't want to get the film ruined, but really, you should've seen it already :P

Off-screen? There was a dialogue on the freeway between Tubbs and the CI (that will be familiar lingo if you watch The Shield :P) where he laid it out straight, including a cutaway to a skinhead looking through his fridge after killing his wife.
I think another problem is everyone mumbles.
Dude, he was talking about his wife being taken hostage; he wasn't mumbling about it! :D Tubbs might've spoken to his CI softly once he'd found out his wife was dead though, which is understandable, don't you think?

To anyone who hasn't seen it, don't be put off by some people's inability to follow the film :P
It's a lot less complicated than they're making out ;)
I definitely need to see this one again.
Yes. Yes, you do. :P
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

CI = Crime Investigator?

I don't watch The Shield I didn't realise I had to to follow Miami Vice.

Thanks again Kurgan.
It's a lot less complicated than they're making out
For a cops and robbers crime drama it's more complicated than usual. Not that that's a bad thing per say.

For the record many others off this sight and in the press have comment it's hard to follow (some have said audio, some mumbling).
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

True, it's is more complicated than the average cops'n'robbers film, but I don't honestly think it was any more complicated than Heat.

CI stands Criminal Informant, if I remember rightly, but even if you didn't know this, you could tell that he was a grass.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Some interviews were shown on T4 today and Gong Li spoke through an interpreter. I thought her English was immaculate? Unless she thought "arsed speakin English min."
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Well, if you won't speak English why should she?? 8)
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Oh har har.... :x :roll: :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

BiscLimpkit wrote:Some interviews were shown on T4 today and Gong Li spoke through an interpreter. I thought her English was immaculate? Unless she thought "arsed speakin English min."
Bummer I missed that. I presume it was about Miami Vice? Odd they even interviewed her if it wasn't in English.

From what I gather she speaks English well but is uncomfortable speaking it. She spoke it very well in Memoirs of a Geisha but it sounds stilted to say the least in Miami Vice.

Maggie Cheung sounds much more natural speaking English for example.
Kurgan wrote:but I don't honestly think it was any more complicated than Heat.
True but they don't mumble in Heat. Moving on.