The grudge remake

Cinema Releases, and Rumours/Discussion of Upcoming Films
Toge
Flirting Scholar

The grudge remake

Post by Toge »

has anyoen seen this yet? is it any good? i may go see it this thursday.
I might only drop in and out but I'm still your admin... spiritually :P
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

Before I see this... I'm on a mission to see all the J-originals.

So far I have only seen the first one (which I thought was sweet):

Ju-on: The Curse.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I am not bothering at all with the Japanese version and I will go see the remake this weekend as it looks spiffy so far. :)
Ricochan38
Flirting Scholar

Post by Ricochan38 »

the japanese was much better off course...
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Considering the Japanese version is a remake anyway people do talk shit on some sites as some people are saying bullshit like I will only see the origanal 1st! are they thick Ju On itself was a fooking remake! wankers! :whistle:
Mordib
King of Beggars

Post by Mordib »

whichever version you see first you will like the most. admittedly there are some noteable exceptions, but in general this is nearly always true...:D

m.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I think that too, to a point :) as a film you love most people want to keep on liking it and just think others are cashing in on there film, but most the time its far from the case, good remakes are as good or deserve just as much status as the origanal.

Dawn of the Dead and night of the Living Dead spring to mind for me, both great remakes as good as the 1st. just different films really./
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

[quote][i]Originally posted by romerojpg[/i]
Considering the Japanese version is a remake anyway people do talk shit on some sites as some people are saying bullshit like I will only see the origanal 1st! are they thick Ju On itself was a fooking remake! wankers! :whistle: [/quote]

So was "Ju-On: The Grudge" (Japanese version) a remake of the first movie "Ju-On: The Curse"? I dont quite get what you mean :) :wacko:

:)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Ju On The Grudge was a remake yes of a TV version I think it was, and that as far as I know was also a remake so its a remake of a remake etc... and on and on, then theres the korean version too and thge other Tv version! hahah end the maddness now!

I went to see The grudge tonite, they were sold the fook out! drove 25 miles to get told to fook off! :cry:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

There is a Korean remake too? Aren't you confusing it with the Ring Korean remake?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Haha I have no idea, I have confused myself now :)
ghevans
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by ghevans »

Juon The Grudge (Theatrical Versions Japan) are not remakes of the V-Cinema versions. They are just extensions of the story and the mythology, to a certain extent the 1st theatrical version re-hashes minor scenes and plot points from the V-Cinema (to give new viewers more of an understanding of the story) but its not really what you'd call a remake with the majority of the theatrical version (pretty much 90%) being new material.

The US version "The Grudge" is a remake of the original Japanese theatrical movie with one or two elements from the V-Cinema versions thrown in for good measure in a similar style to the remake of RING which included some sidestories lifted from Ringu 2.

It's a weird scenario with the Juon series though cos in both V-Cinema and Theatrical versions scenes are borrowed and lifted throughout (the entire first 40 mins of the V-Cinema Pt. 2 is a complete re-use of the first part) and it seems like with a bigger budget Shimizu re-visits old scares that maybe didnt work so well first time round to improve upon them without the budgetary limitations.

In that sense i dont think it really matters which one you watch first - it hardly matters anyway because the whole idea of a remake is so that a new audience can appreciate the film just as much as a fan of the originals. But with 5 entries now to the series i'm almost ready to say goodbye to it - the 1st V-Cinema was great, the 2nd rather redundant, the two theatricals a lot of fun and the remake an interesting curio but to be honest it has run its course now and i'm more interested to see a new icon for J-horror and a new approach.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

[quote][i]Originally posted by ghevans[/i]
in a similar style to the remake of RING which included some sidestories lifted from Ringu 2. [/quote]
Such as? :)

[quote][i]Originally posted by ghevans[/i]the 1st V-Cinema was great, the 2nd rather redundant, the two theatricals a lot of fun[/quote]
So you saying the original V-Cinema release was the best?

As for the remake five words come to mind. I'll let you re-arrange them:

Michelle, Dumbed, Sarah, Down, Gellar!

Enough said really. The American Ring was enough proof for me.

I'm waiting until February when hopefully HKL will their 2 disc release, if it doesn't come I'll just get the 1 disc release (I can't decide between the R2 - DTS + a commentary over R1 - a different commentary, deleted scenes and interviews).

[Edited on 15-11-2004 by bradavon]
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

[quote]
Michelle, Dumbed, Sarah, Down, Gellar!
[/quote]

as you havent seen it how would you know! :wacko:

from everyone I know who has seen both of them they all say the remake is far better so far, so I may never even bother with the Jap version anyway.
ghevans
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by ghevans »

[quote][i]Originally posted by bradavon[/i]
Such as? :)[/quote]

The whole friend at the beggining of the film who witnessed her friend die in the first one - her whole psychiatrists scene at the hospital was a major part of Ring 2 (JP) but featured in small segments in the US remake as a brief sidestory.

[quote]So you saying the original V-Cinema release was the best?[/quote]

Actually i prefer the Theatrical films purely because the increase in budget makes for much more polished scares (the 2nd theatrical film in particular has some stunning set pieces that feel like Junji Ito at his best).

The 1st V-Cinema version has a certain charm too though.

I will look forward to seeing what Shimizu can do with the power of hollywood behind him - not overly keen on SMG but other than her i have no problems with the remake.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Must say Niomi Watts was staggering casting in the Ring remake! I adore her now!
ghevans
Jackie Chan's BIG toe

Post by ghevans »

Naomi Watts is a good actress i'd seen her previously in Mulholland Drive so her casting in the Ring was pretty much good news, but SMG just fills me with a sense of dread. But hopefully she'll prove me wrong.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Naomi Watts is a fantastic actress, she did a fab job in - Mulholland Drive, Ring and 21 Grams.

as you havent seen it how would you know! :wacko:[/quote]
I know SMG is an overrated actress.

from everyone I know who has seen both of them they all say the remake is far better so far, so I may never even bother with the Jap version anyway. [/quote]
This lady doesn't think so:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=13111

From what I can gather this is more "The Eye"/"The Phone" instead of "Tale of Two Sisters"/"Ringu".

It maybe better but I doubt it's far better.

The whole friend at the beggining of the film who witnessed her friend die in the first one[/quote]
Wasn't that lifted from the first one?

- her whole psychiatrists scene at the hospital was a major part of Ring 2 (JP) but featured in small segments in the US remake as a brief sidestory.[/quote]
Oh yes I forgot that one.

[Edited on 17-11-2004 by bradavon]
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

[quote]
This lady doesn't think so:
[/quote]

hahah Your like a DVDTIMES Pimp. :wacko:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

LOL it's just the first con review I could find.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Well, I watched this last night, and while I did like it, it certainly is a simplification of the Japanese theatrical version. The main story chooses to focus on SMG's character (the traineee home care person), whereas I believe the Japanese version has a bit that focuses on her but the main story is really about what happened in the house.

There are a few additions to the story in the Us version, which I didn't really mind that much. But what got me was how this version chooses to go for more of a Hollywood SHOCK approach to horror, rather than the very subtle suspense approach displayed by the Japanese version.

Where in the J-version reflections were used subtely so that if you saw things like the reflection of the boy you got to see an extra creep level to the film, and if you didn;t see the reflection then you missed out a bit but had something else to gain from the film next time you saw it. The US version dispenses with all subtlety and on things like reflections has to make a whole in your face scene around it.

The gratuitous gore in the US version was also not necessary. These was no explanation or reason for it, and I think having it counted negatively towards the film.

As I'd seen the J-version, I undoubtedly was less scared than I would have been otherwise, the friend I went to see it with was very scared in teh film, so it obviously does have the desired effect, but I just wish Hollywood would realise that horror isn't just about making hte audience jump at a sudden sound and/or movement, but can be suspense and psychologically driven as well. Even though it was directed by the same guy as the original, there was still too much Hollywood influence.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

[quote][i]Originally posted by degeneration[/i]
But what got me was how this version chooses to go for more of a Hollywood SHOCK approach to horror, rather than the very subtle suspense approach displayed by the Japanese version.

The US version dispenses with all subtlety and on things like reflections has to make a whole in your face scene around it.
[/quote]
That doesn't surprise me at all. It's just evidence of how the two film-making countries operate.

Hollywood film-makers (on the whole) don't know what subtlety means. Note: I don't consider all American film-makers Hollywood film-makers.

[quote][i]Originally posted by degeneration[/i]
The gratuitous gore in the US version was also not necessary. These was no explanation or reason for it, and I think having it counted negatively towards the film. [/quote]
Interesting considering it was originally R rated.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The Grude: 2 Disc SE in Februray as Play have said all along:

http://www.dvddebate.com/modules.php?na ... e&sid=4929

LOL you can't fool us HKL it was obvious from the get go this was going to happen. They must think we're stupid.

Still I'll be getting this and the Grudge 2: SE which is bound to come, around June time maybe?