Apocalypse Now Theatrical Vs Redux

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Apocalypse Now Theatrical Vs Redux

Post by saltysam »

Going to watch this sometime this week,What's your preferred version??Not sure whether to watch the theatrical or the redux..the film's far too long for me to consider watching both versions in a short space of time
working class blu-ray fan
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Re: Apocalypse Now Theatrical Vs Redux

Post by luckystars »

I watched this for the first time a couple years back.

Think I started with the Theatrical, just because they were sooo different..

The Theatrical is magnificent. So I don't know if longer just means the same (just more of it) or it's not as good..
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Eva much prefers the theatrical cut. I've only seen the Redux cut, loved it and didn't find it long.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

bradavon wrote:Eva much prefers the theatrical cut. I've only seen the Redux cut, loved it and didn't find it long.

It's funny isn't it. It's like I love the Theatrical cut of Alien so much (it's a perfect film). The Special Edition does bring something more to the table, but it isn't a better film for it. It's just another cut of the same great movie.

I'll always go to the Theatrical cut to watch it every time though. It's just the original 'vintage' :thumbs:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've always preferred the Almost Famous Theatrical Cut to Extended Cut (there's only one extra scene of much worth and lots of flab) and Musa International Cut to the "Original" Theatrical Cut (again it has some nice extra scenes but like Almost Famous the pacing is affected).

That said, Terminator 2 is definitely best IMO in it's Extended Cut form (not the awful happy ending obviously).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Which did you go for?

Did we come to a consensus?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Things didn't go to plan so i still haven't watched it :( hoping to give it a go this week but i'm on earlies,coming home at 3pm and putting on an over 3 hour movie after being up since 5am probably isn't ideal.possibly friday will be the day as i'm off on the saturday.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i opted for Redux.Should've watched Theatrical.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Why do you say that? I'm watching the Theatrical cut soon. I wish I'd caught it during it's recent cinema run :(.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:Why do you say that? I'm watching the Theatrical cut soon. I wish I'd caught it during it's recent cinema run :(.
Because the boring french plantation sequence stops the film in it's tracks,completely.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It didn't bother me when I last saw it about a decade ago but everyone seems to say that.

Isn't the Theatrical Cut the Director's Cut? Coppola just decided to re-release it with all/most of the deleted footage reinstated.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Brad I'd never seen any cut of Apocalypse Now all the way though until a few years ago I got Hearts of Darkness on VHS, then got the old DVD on boxset and started with the Theatrical cut (fully appreciating the marathon production and pressure Coppola was under just to finish the film).

Yes both cuts are Directors cuts, but I think there's such a fascinating story behind the movie I would honestly recommend watching the Theatrical cut and Documentary first (maybe even Hearts of Darkness before the actual film!), then digest that and go back and watch the redux at some point in time later.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:It didn't bother me when I last saw it about a decade ago but everyone seems to say that.

If you'd seen the theatrical cut first it would be glaringly obvious how out of place the french plantation sequence is.apart from when they first arrive there,the redux gives a decent send off to one of Willard's fallen crew
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I wasn't going to pass up the chance of seeing this in the cinema :D. Even if it meant I had to see the Redux cut first. Agreed about the spoiler.