Universal Soldier: Regeneration

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Universal Soldier: Regeneration

Post by Markgway »

Damn. I thought this was getting a theatrical release.

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content/id/71 ... ruary.html
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Universal Soldier: Regeneration

Post by saltysam »

Can't wait :cool:
working class blu-ray fan
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I hate to say it as I was really looking foward to Uni Sol 3 but that looks shit.

Was the entire movie really filmed in a disused power plant? Looks that way. Every shot in the trailer looks almost the same with the hulking bad guy firing the same weapon again and again... Where's the budget??

And when someone called Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski gets top billing you know this is gonna suck ass.

Sad that Van Damme will be pissing the cred his earned from JCVD on this. At least Dolph has The Expendables in 2010.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Looks fine to me :)
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Markgway wrote:Sad that Van Damme will be pissing the cred his earned from JCVD on this. At least Dolph has The Expendables in 2010.
Van Damme has "Eagle Path" and "Karate" (aka. "The Tower") coming up.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

thelostdragon wrote:
Markgway wrote:Sad that Van Damme will be pissing the cred his earned from JCVD on this. At least Dolph has The Expendables in 2010.
Van Damme has "Eagle Path" and "Karate" (aka. "The Tower") coming up.
Both cheap, straight to video knock offs, which no one will even notice came out (even if they are good), except VD fans.

VD is dead to the public, he will never be anything ever again, after passing on The Expendables it just shows you how much of a fool he is.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Have to say I agree with Romero.

I thought Uni Sol 3 was going to be a proper blockbuster movie released in theatres STARRING Van Damme and Lundgren - not a DTV cheapo top-lining some blockhead I've never heard of. Major initial disappointment - and I expect the finished article will be every bit as pish as it looks in that trailer. JCVD was a turning point and the remainder of Van Damme's career rests on what he chose next. As the old knight in The Last Crusade dryly said: "He chose poorly!".
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

I don't think it was JCVD that was the turning point in his career. JCVD had the big promos with Cannes and all that. But he already proved his talents as a character actor in films such as "Wake of Death" and "Until Death".

As for turning down a role in "The Expendables", I don't blame him. I would never sign a contract for a film, committing and obligating myself, without prior knowledge of what my character is going to be. A signed contract is binding and so he would be obliged to play whatever Stallone would want him to play. But when Stallone approached VanDamme, he couldn't even tell him about the film's storyline, let alone about the character he wanted him to play.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I would hardly call VD's performance in Until Death as "talented" it's competent and nothing more, it just seems more impressive because everyone around him is so abominably bad, they're all bleedin' Londoners trying to play Louisianans!
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Well most people with a brain would sign up for any film sight unseen just to get paid millions, including you thelostdragon. If someone offered you millions right now to be in that film, would you turn it down? not at all.

Just to get out of the direct to DVD hell VD is in, and always will be it is worth taking a chance with no finished script etc.. it is his friend Stallone after all, he is not exactly going to make him do anything he would not be willing to do, like a hardcore gay scene!
It is a action film, just like the other he still makes and manages to make look like total shit, even with a script before signing on.

and Everyone else in the film did also sign up, and countless other films start like that. Anyone passing on a big payday, and more importantly a major jump in his fame counter to do more straight to dvd stuff is not really worth bothering with, hence why the public do not even know he exists anymore.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

thelostdragon wrote:I don't think it was JCVD that was the turning point in his career. JCVD had the big promos with Cannes and all that. But he already proved his talents as a character actor in films such as "Wake of Death" and "Until Death".
Nah. WOD and UD went DTV everywhere. JCVD got a lot of press and even some theatrical screenings in the UK. Van Damme clawed back some respect with this... but it seems as though Uni Sol 3 will put an end to that. His career on the A-list is dead and buried.
As for turning down a role in "The Expendables", I don't blame him. I would never sign a contract for a film, committing and obligating myself, without prior knowledge of what my character is going to be.
And yet it didn't seem to bother such nobodies as Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jet Li, and Mickey Rourke.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Markgway wrote:And yet it didn't seem to bother such nobodies as Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jet Li, and Mickey Rourke.
They were all approached by Stallone when the script was there for them to read.
Van Damme was approached at a very early stage.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

thelostdragon wrote:
Markgway wrote:And yet it didn't seem to bother such nobodies as Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jet Li, and Mickey Rourke.
They were all approached by Stallone when the script was there for them to read.
Van Damme was approached at a very early stage.
you are doing a fine job of defending Van Damme LD but let's face it given the way The Stallone movie is shaping up he's been naive to turn it down script or no script. however though the exposure would've been good for him i don't think it would've got him out of dtv hell.it's too late for that.Look at Carradine in Kill Bill for example.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Most of those guys signed up before the script was finished. Stallone had an idea and it was a work in progress as he simultaneously assembled his cast. I suspect he wanted to tailor the roles to the actors who'd commited. Van Damme made a mistake. Simple as that. Good guy or bad Van Damme would've been made to look as cool as anyone else. Come August Van Damme can have the displeasure of watching Dolph in the multiplexes whilst his latest gathers dust on shelves. The difference with Carradine is that he was never that cool in the first place. He was a cult at best. By the time Kill Bill came out Carradine was about 70 and there was really little place for him to go. Van Damme could have had many years left as an action guy. Eastwood, Bronson, and Marvin all played effective tough guys until their 60s.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to see Van Damme in "The Expendables". I'm just saying that I don't blame him for not signing on to a film he knows nothing about (story and character-wise). Good for the other action guys, though that the film turned out to seem quite promising. I really hope it will be the actionfilm of the year.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

I get the feeling that Van Damme was mainly worried he wouldn't be allowed to be the main star or get enough screentime and heroic moments. Like Romero said, it's not like Sly was conspiring to get Van Damme play a transvestite. And as for the screenplay... it was never gonna be Oscar material. This is mercenary action film by Sly Stallone, not a new Paul Thomas Anderson project. You hear Sly's name and you have a pretty good idea what it's gonna be and what it's not gonna be.

Considering Stallone's comeback and the fact that his previous film was one the best action films in years, it was a bad idea to pass this chance to work with him. A talented character actor with too big ego could afford to do it. But not Van Damme.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

thelostdragon wrote:I'm just saying that I don't blame him for not signing on to a film he knows nothing about (story and character-wise).
Judging by most of the films he's made in the last ten years he really doesn't read scripts before signing on.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Van Damme on Sly's "Expendables" offer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szLoJhywUdQ
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Lol... I'm not sure that Stallone impersonation is gonna get him a part in The Expendables II.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Markgway wrote:Lol... I'm not sure that Stallone impersonation is gonna get him a part in The Expendables II.
LOL, he impersonated him before when he talks about how he almost had a real fight with Seagal at Stallone's house:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-U5L0QPkrE
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

:lol:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Markgway wrote:I hate to say it as I was really looking foward to Uni Sol 3 but that looks shit.
it's not too bad as DTV sequels go.
Markgway wrote:Was the entire movie really filmed in a disused power plant?
90% of it.
Markgway wrote:And when someone called Andrei "The Pitbull" Arlovski gets top billing you know this is gonna suck ass.

JCVD gets top billing on the end credits at least.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I believe JCVD had to do this for contractual reaosns.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »