Dune (1984)

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Dune (1984)

Post by EvaUnit02 »

2.75/5

This film's editing is a mess. I haven't even read the book (bar the first 30 pages or so) and you just feel that loads of stuff is skated over/missing. Eg Sting doesn't do much in this film and his character's personal relationship to Paul Atreides is never explained (outside of "HURRR, I HATE THE RIVAL HOUSE".). ~2:10Hr (not counting credits) is NOT enough to tell an epic such as this, it needed at least another 40 mins minimum.

But it is still a stunning film, beautiful dream-like direction from David Lynch, a marvellous score, great cinematography.

As much of mess it is, it is the main plot is never incoherent (at least for me). That alone is to be commended.

For all it's faults, Dune is still much better than Inland Empire.

P.S. Brad, the film is not good enough to warrant the premium for the French BD. Just buy the cheap US HD-DVD if you must see it, the transfer is very nice.
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 10 Jan 2009, 01:20, edited 1 time in total.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Its better than any other Lynch film, by a mile for me as frankly most his films are shit.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Dune (1984)

Post by bradavon »

Are you going to check out the Extended cut Eva?

Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet are excellent.
EvaUnit02 wrote:Brad, the film is not good enough to warrant the premium for the French BD. Just buy the cheap US HD-DVD if you must see it, the transfer is very nice.
Cheers. You and I often have similar tastes, so I'll take that on-board. I'd pretty much decided to get the USA HD-DVD anyway.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Dune (1984)

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Are you going to check out the Extended cut Eva?
In the immediate future, no. I might buy the R1 SE after I've read the book, it looks good (referring to the book, not the TV cut).
Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 25 Jun 2008, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
jimmyscab
Pedicab Driver

Post by jimmyscab »

Also look out for the fanedit of Dune which puts the theatrical, Extended TV and deleted scenes from the R1SE together. It very well done despite the shift in the quality. The movie is still a big heap of mess, but somehow it doesn't matter with this movie.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

Hmmm I'm guessing the French HD print wouldn't show up on a UK BD anyway?
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

UK BD?