Your 5 most wanted dvd/HD releases for 2008?

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

No Theatrical Cut = No Buy.

German twats. :roll:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:No Theatrical Cut = No Buy.

German twats. :roll:
Go buy the awful American BD then :wink: .

That doesn't even work properly, you try and use the DTS (which is DVD quality DTS too!) and it causes the video to break up. Great!

Did you look at the You Tube video and how it's pushing the boundaries? Twat is just a bit OTT.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I don't care how it looks if it's not the cut I want.

And I'm not gonna bother watching goofs or using picture-in-picture nonsense.

Twats is about right because they could've included both versions like the French (who are twats for forcing subtitles).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:And I'm not gonna bother watching goofs or using picture-in-picture nonsense.
Again did you read the link I posted? I hear PIP Commentaries are actually very good.
Markgway wrote:Twats is about right because they could've included both versions like the French (who are twats for forcing subtitles).
Which is barebones so you cannot win.

Seriously get the USA BD it's the TC with no Forced subs.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The USA Blu-Ray is reportedly not as good quality as the European HD releases. And I'd like the option of both versions as I already have with the DVD. I prefer the TC but I may on occasion wish to check out the SE. I think if I'm paying a premium I have that right.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

You're paying a premium for HD Picture and Sound. If the German HD-DVD was only the Theatrical Cut I too would be disappointed but it wouldn't stop me getting it in the hope an Extended Cut comes along.

HD Picture and Sound are miles ahead of everything else on my wants list (obviously it cannot be cut, cropped, whatever). The first T2 DVDs were pretty shoddy. It took a good few years before Lionsgate gave us the UE. In the mean time we can enjoy T2 in HD!
Markgway wrote:The USA Blu-Ray is reportedly not as good quality as the European HD releases.
The USA Blu-ray is HD.

If you meant the European HD-DVD releases, does it really matter? It still looks like HD, according to reviews it's not as good but it does look like HD (unlike Terminator). I don't believe the difference is enormous:

PQ 4 out of 5: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=23209
PQ 3.5 out of 5: http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=22652

It's a pity the DTS is broken but it still has DD5.1. Remember most people only get DD5.1 (or DTS sometimes) out of HD Discs anyway.

If I "had" to have the TC I'd pick it up. I agree the French TC is effectively worthless. It's also £9.45 at DVD Pacific including postage so it's not even a premium price.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

What's the betting the barstards at Sony make the James Bond series Region-Coded? And what's the bet that there will be no mono tracks (at least on the UK discs)? :(
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

Saltysam Hard Boiled director's cut is available on french DVD from Columbia Tri Star, uncut and anamorphic, since day one. It features english tracks as well as subs.

I was excited when the original T1 remaster came out, but comparing with the original image disc in 4/3 1.85:1 on a projection screen, it appears their HD remaster in 16/9 from the special edition have totally burned whites (details at night on neon screens become unreadable) is darker and the remix in 5.1 sucks while the mono track sound less good than the image disc or the LD !
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Is there a link to the HB DC DVDVision?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Hard Target, not Hard Boiled :D
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:D Oops
Is there a link to HT DC then? I cant find it on Amazon.fr
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Its not out anywhere, only bootleg pirates of an appauling print. Its good, but nothing like it will ever come to real dvd, ever.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've corrected DVD Vision's post as it's clear he doesn't mean Hard Boiled.
Markgway wrote:What's the betting the barstards at Sony make the James Bond series Region-Coded?
It's likely but equally unlikely. Except for new films on Region A only (North America/Asia) Sony haven't been using it. Recent Region A titles of new films have been Region Free though, maybe Sony are going to be entirely Region Free.

Although Fox now holds the MGM back catalogue I believe Sony kept James Bond. If Fox now own the James Bond catalogue too then definitely expect Regional Coding.
Markgway wrote:And what's the bet that there will be no mono tracks (at least on the UK discs)? :(
That's more likely, sadly on USA HD too.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I watched a couple of the Ultimate Edition Bonds the other night and I sampled the 5.1 tracks and they're just plain wrong. If that's all they have I wouldn't buy them and would hang on to my superb looking R1 DVDs.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I may do the same with any 4:3 film on HD. I've not seen any 4:3 film on HD yet to comment how much I like it.

It depends which ones you mean?

The 5.1 on "From Russia with Love" is perfectly okay. Dalton onwards they're great, maybe Moore too but it's been so long since I've seen any of those to comment how well a 5.1 remix would work.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

I thought you said you didn't have a 5.1 system bradavon?
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:
Recent Region A titles of new films have been Region Free though, maybe Sony are going to be entirely Region Free.

No they haven't. Spider-man 3 & Hostel pt 2 were region coded A.i have Resident Evil Extinction here as an xmas present for my son and i bet that's region A only as well.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

looks like i'm wrong on Resident Evil=wrapping it up earlier the packaging states a,b,c regions :oops:
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I meant new new titles :D . It's by no means conclusive just based on some super new or soon to come titles.
IronMonkey wrote:I thought you said you didn't have a 5.1 system bradavon?
You must be confusing me with someone else.

Since moving house 6 months ago I've not plugged my sub in though. The 5 speakers as it is piss my neighbours of enough, a sub is definitely a no no.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:I may do the same with any 4:3 film on HD. I've not seen any 4:3 film on HD yet to comment how much I like it.
Sorry, you've lost me. :| I was talking about James Bond. Where does 4:3 come into it?
The 5.1 on "From Russia with Love" is perfectly okay.
I was talking about Thunderball and OHMSS. Basically any 007 up until The Spy Who Loved Me would be a no-no remixed. After that I could live with it, even though the stereo tracks are still better (see Octopussy).
Dalton onwards they're great, maybe Moore too but it's been so long since I've seen any of those to comment how well a 5.1 remix would work.
Goldeneye onward were 5.1 anyways so of course they're fine.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Sorry, you've lost me. :| I was talking about James Bond. Where does 4:3 come into it?
You said if the BD turns out to only have 5.1 you won't be upgrading.

I said I'll likely/possibly not be upgrading any of my 4:3 films to HD and stick with the DVD. Why? I cannot stand pillar boxing!
Markgway wrote:Goldeneye onward were 5.1 anyways so of course they're fine.
They weren't in the Dalton Bonds but sound like proper 5.1 tracks!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:You said if the BD turns out to only have 5.1 you won't be upgrading. I said I'll likely/possibly not be upgrading any of my 4:3 films to HD and stick with the DVD. Why? I cannot stand pillar boxing!
Oh, right. It was just a side comment. Nothing to do with Bond. But hang on... I presume you have widescreen TV now. So 4:3 films will be pillar boxed as it is... no? And the early Bonds were 1.66 so without overscan they would have slight bars at the sides too.
Markgway wrote:They weren't in the Dalton Bonds but sound like proper 5.1 tracks!
It's much easier when you're working from stereo originals. Licence to Kill was the last Stereo Bond film. I compared the pre-credits sequence of Octopussy on my R1 (which I might trade, actually...) and noticed that the stereo track had more oomph than the wider 5.1 remix. Bass is sacrificed for spread it seems.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Where is this anamorphic Hard Target that dvdvison talks about?
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:So 4:3 films will be pillar boxed as it is... no? And the early Bonds were 1.66 so without overscan they would have slight bars at the sides too.
Correct.

Both HD resolutions are in the 16:9 aspect ratio so any ratio that doesn't fit gets pillar boxed/window boxed, as has happened for 2.35:1 for years. As 1.66:1 tends to be pretty similar to 1.78:1 I doubt the bars on the 1.66:1 Bonds will really be noticeable.

Personally I think they should've created a 4:3 aspect ratio (XXXX by 1080) but they didn't. I digress.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

saltysam wrote:Where is this anamorphic Hard Target that dvdvison talks about?
He says its on French DVD from CT - but I looked on Amazon.fr and buggered if I can find it :?