Mad Max - new r4 SE: Nov. '07

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

WTF ? Mad Max 2 on HD is the pits, not one shot is color timed, it looks like a bad italian rip off. I own the japanese 1999 DVD and upscaled, it beat the shit out of the HD version. The HD might have more resolution, but not ONE SHOT is correctly color timed, Day for night shots looks like day, its a rape of the original movie look, and it looks cheap. Stick to the old Warner disc, until they reissue it correctly.

PS best sound remains the Dolby Surround mix of the LD version. The DVD remix and HD-DVD sounds like shit. (plus the HD/BR french dub have some lines missing and looped in repeat to hide this, it's a joke someone should be fired)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

We've been here before. Did you copy/paste that from your earlier response? :D Because it's exactly the same thing you said last time ;)

Everyone else considers the HD-DVD or BD looks better.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

The hd-dvd of Mad Max 2 not only blows the arse off the shitty old dvd it wipes it's behind then dumps on it from a great height :P it's uncut as well. i'm sorry dvddivision but when i watch these awesome hd transfers color timing is the last thing on my mind :wink: i'm a simple man with simple needs :)
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I just watched my HD-DVD of Mad Max 2 and found the transfer to be terrific.

I found a cap comparison to the old Warner DVD, the difference is night and day. (That linked thread also has production stills posted by the actual guy who played the Feral Kid in the film. Very Cool.)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Eva.

OMG the DVD is hideous. Why on earth haven't Warner released a SE DVD.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:Why on earth haven't Warner released a SE DVD.
Here's what the back of the HD-DVD's case says:-
"Exclusive to Hi-Def: New Commentary by Director George Miller and Cinematographer Dean Semler, Introduction by Leonard Maltin."

Speaks for itself really. Totally unfair that this transfer hasn't seen SD DVD release.

On a side note:- I have the Australasian HD release and the packaging uses the film's American title, "The Road Warrior". Not one mention of the film's original/Australian title, "Mad Max 2".

The film's title card says "Mad Max 2" though, since they used an uncut Australian print as the basis of their remastering efforts.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Was the R4 Mad Max SE ever actually released?

I tried ordering it from Atlantic DVD 3 weeks ago and they've told me they cannot get stock. It's also out of stock everywhere else too.

I've asked them to send me the regular version (identical except a booklet) for the same price as the cheaper SE. I doubt they will so if they don't I'll get the regular version from DVD Crave, where it's in stock.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

http://www.gpstore.co.nz/DVDs/1548519.html

In stock over here by the looks of it. I can hook you up, drop us a line. I literally work next door to gpstore.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Can you confirm they actually have stock please? It's listed as "in stock" at Atlantic DVD but isn't.

Would it cost more than $20.62 including postage? As that's how much the regular version is at DVD Crave and seeing as they're almost identical I'm happy to own either version. Thanks.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I can't help you since you didn't specify a currency.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

DVDCrave are Australian, hence AUD :?.

Thanks for offering. I've bid on one on eBay.com.au and will see how that goes.

The Regular and SE at AtlanticDVD both say they're in stock when they tell me they're not. I suggested they change this, and this was their reply. Oops :D -

"Unfortunately until our new website is up and running, we are unable to change the status of any product on our website due to the major systems crash our web developers caused last year."

They are generally a good company though.