Why buy DVDs if you don't watch them?!

Non-Asian Film & Release Discussion, and Serious Film-Related Discussion
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Why buy DVDs if you don't watch them?!

Post by grim_tales »

I was just thinking about this now... I have A Chinese Ghost Story 2 HKL, Infernal Affairs III, Donnie Darko DC (!), Gone With The Wind 4 disc, Licence To Kill etc sitting on my shelves and STILL not seen them yet :lol: Mind you I did flick through ACGS II, should be very good if the classic original is anything to go by.

As for GWTW, I need a long afternoon with no interruptions :)
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Why?

Sometimes because I can't affort to miss a limited edition (korean dvds, japanese first press etc.)

Sometimes because I want to complete my collection (by director, actor...) even though that specific film doesn't interest me that much.

Sometimes because I'm too lazy to start subbing it.

That doesn't mean I would never watch it, but it may may take some time.

Sitting in the shelf right now: Mezon de Himiko, HK Video Hideo Gosha Box Set Vol. 2 (watched one film)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Sorry Hung - I didnt mean anyone person in particular, I was really just referring to me :) I should really watch more DVDs than I should :)
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

I have a bunch of those movies myself. The Pianist for example is a movie I have been excited about for a long time, but havent really gotten into the mood of watching it. There are more movies I have where the same applies.
Some movies I have but I know my girl will want to watch it as well, so I'm waiting for a time that's convenient.

Sometimes you just see a movie you're interested in, and it's not too expensive, and you just buy it but dont feel like watching it right away.

It's like buying fruit. Many families buy it, just to leave it sitting there on the fruit-tray for no-one to eat it, so after a week you throw it away again... ;)
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
brooce-leroy
Royal Tramp

Post by brooce-leroy »

I have 200+ unwatched dvds on my shelf.
"We do not train to be merciful. Mercy is for the weak. A man confronts you, he is the enemy. The enemy deserves no mercy."
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

:D
We buy loads of fruit and don't really eat it ;)

I'll let you know what I think of ACGS II though, I wish HKL would hurry up and release the third one. I've heard ACGS II is even better than the first (by some people).
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

brooce-leroy wrote:I have 200+ unwatched dvds on my shelf.
:o Really?!
Puts me in the shade. But I have less DVDs than even Eva does.
tom2681
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by tom2681 »

I've got about 30 unwatched dvds on my shelf.
I'm working on reducing that number. :D
I used to be "the man who loves the movies you hate".
Now I'm just "that weird french guy with a cat avatar who comes to BnB once a year for no reason and then disappears again".
Knetan
Hail the Judge!

Post by Knetan »

hey,
Sometimes because I can't affort to miss a limited edition (korean dvds, japanese first press etc.)

Sometimes because I'm too lazy to start subbing it.
Currently, that's part of the reason I have so many to watch, including a lot of old Ocean Shores vcd's that are going out of print. Also a few waiting to be subbed projects. :)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I have about 2000+ dvds still to watch, thats scary.

I buy them as they look good on my shelves, and it saves buying wall paper anyway as I dont see the walls anymore.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I have no unwatched DVDs.

I buy it. Watch it as soon as.

Keep it or sell it.

Simple as that.
Toge
Flirting Scholar

Post by Toge »

I have a few *ahem* movies that I haven't watched, mainly due to the fact that I can't watch films with subtitles on TV using my Zen Vision:M.

DVDs I watch ASAP however.
I might only drop in and out but I'm still your admin... spiritually :P
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Markgway wrote:I have no unwatched DVDs.

Keep it or sell it.

Simple as that.
:lol: good on ya. I buy too many crap films I dont want to watch :D so I end up burning them all. Kepps me warm anyway in the winter.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

For me because there are far more lovely DVDs released than I have time to watch but I will watch them some day so I continue to buy them.

I reckon a fifth of my 507 DVDs I've not seen but hey ho I'm not going anywhere. There is of course limited editions too.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

TV shows are the hardest for me to get to watch, as I like to watch entire season in one go, prefrably the entire lot in one go, for example Season 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc.. as many as they made :) its the best way to watch most shows as its like a week long film! and you dont forget anything that happened before, but by god its not easy to put aside time for that :)

I have The X Files Season 1-9 and the film and Long Gunmen Season 1 to watch all in order, its gonna be good :D but I need done more X Files season before I complete that collection, havent watched any of them at all yet apart from Season 1 years back.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

There's no way I could dedicate a weeks or more to watch an entire series. It's never going to happen and tbh one series is enough in one go. I'd be so drained and maybe bored before I got to the end.

I have a good memory so am not worried about missing bits but agreed you'd need to watch them in fairly quick succession.
Markgway wrote:I have no unwatched DVDs.

Keep it or sell it.

Simple as that.
You work full time right? What's the size of your DVD collection?
Yi-Long wrote:It's like buying fruit. Many families buy it, just to leave it sitting there on the fruit-tray for no-one to eat it, so after a week you throw it away again... ;)

Why do people do that? It's the same in our house. I reckon about 1/5 to 1/10 gets eaten. It's such a waste, especially when you can actually buy by the fruit not kilo/bag.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote: You work full time right? What's the size of your DVD collection?
Yeah, collection is roughly 418 at present.

Can't be bothered counting individually so I'm averaging.

I watch movies late at night, even at the weekend.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Wow you much watch a lot of movies. I don't watch half as many as I'd like.
Shen
Royal Tramp

Post by Shen »

i only have one dvd that i havent watched. and that will change soon :D

but then i only have about 84 dvds in total :P

i tend not to buy dvds blind...if i see a movie and its really good then i buy it on dvd. but then im pretty strapped for cash so i cant afford to buy every movie that looks cool.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

I have about 20 unwatched TV series boxsets and about that many unwatched films on DVD, which isn't that bad considering I must have nearly 1000 DVDs now.
Kurgan
Royal Tramp

Post by Kurgan »

How do matey :)

I've only got a couple of DVDs that I haven't watched out of my collection, but I have seriously curbed my DVD spending over the past couple of years.
I basically don't have the time I used to set aside for watching films, which has really bugged me, but alas, can't be changed.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote::D

There's no way I could dedicate a weeks or more to watch an entire series. It's never going to happen and tbh one series is enough in one go. I'd be so drained and maybe bored before I got to the end.

I have a good memory so am not worried about missing bits but agreed you'd need to watch them in fairly quick succession.
Then you definatly dont watch the good shows :) the best TV makes you watch them as soon as the episode before it just finished.

24, Alias, Lost, The Wire are a few addictive like that :) I am currently watching CSI Miami season 1, 2 and 3 back to back, it will take a month or 2, but its the ONLY way to watch TV :) watch a show at a time, not 10 shows per week, it ruins them and no way you can remember it all when a show is spanned out over 6 months on TV.
BiscLimpkit
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by BiscLimpkit »

I've got some movies that I've not seen yet... maybe something like 5 or 6 or something.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Wow you much watch a lot of movies. I don't watch half as many as I'd like.
Well, I've been collecting since 1999. It's not like a watched them all in a row. :D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

romerojpg wrote:it ruins them and no way you can remember it all when a show is spanned out over 6 months on TV.
It makes zilch difference with an episodic show like CSI though, since all the episodes are self-contained - unless it's a multiple-parter, which are usually reserved for season finales and the like for episodic shows like that ("Gravedigger" comes to mind).