HK action cinema BDs from Eureka Classics

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

HK action cinema BDs from Eureka Classics

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Obviously old news, but I noticed that Eureka seems to be putting/have released a lot of HK classic action films on BD.
https://eurekavideo.co.uk/eureka-classics/#page-1
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Re: HK action cinema BDs from Eureka Classics

Post by Killer Meteor »

The quality of the releases from both Eureka and 88 Films is frequently excellent.
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

Yeah somehow Eureka and 88Films have managed to resurrect the rotting fetid carcass that was HK cinema on Bluray here in the west and resurrected what's shaped up to be a new mini-golden age for HK classics, purely by being the first distributors to FINALLY listen to the fans and invite them in on the technical side of things.
Killer Meteor
Hail the Judge!

Post by Killer Meteor »

I'm really hyped for Eureka's release of One Armed Boxer next month.
bradavon wrote:
but I guess you're more intelligence than me.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Shingster wrote: 17 Apr 2021, 22:31 Yeah somehow Eureka and 88Films have managed to resurrect the rotting fetid carcass that was HK cinema on Bluray here in the west and resurrected what's shaped up to be a new mini-golden age for HK classics, purely by being the first distributors to FINALLY listen to the fans and invite them in on the technical side of things.
That's certainly true. I stopped buying HK films 10 years ago when every disc seemed to be either a remix or upscale, or both. It was just driving me nuts and I couldn't take it anymore. But I've slowly been getting back in the past few years thanks to Eureka and 88. I picked up the Sammo and Woo sets, Drunken Master and Iron Monkey from Eureka, and a couple of Shaws from 88. Planning to get some more from both, too.
Ray_Rogers
Little White Dragon

Post by Ray_Rogers »

Have been slowly buying these releases. Only have the Police Story 1 & 2 and Once Upon a Time in China sets from Eureka. Not the first release with all the tat but the later one. Still wanting to get Project A Duology and many others. I'm still keeping the vast amount of DVDs I've imported.
I'm back AGAIN.
Film grain is a good thing dammit! Say NO to DNR/EE!
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Wild Search and Millionaire's Express announced

New Announcement! WILD SEARCH, Ringo Lam’s mature, heart-wrenching Hong Kong crime thriller starring Chow Yun-Fat & Cherie Chung, will be released on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK featuring a Limited-Edition O-card Slipcase & Collector’s Booklet (First Print Run of 2000 copies only). Available as a part of the Eureka Classics range from 19 July 2021. Available to PRE-ORDER NOW from the Eureka Store https://bit.ly/3x9RYcP Zavvi https://bit.ly/3ximdOw

Chow Yun-fat gives a career best performance in WILD SEARCH, his third collaboration with director Ringo Lam (CITY ON FIRE, FULL CONTACT).

Yun-fat plays Lau, a widowed police officer investigating a gang of gun runners. When a shootout with the criminals leaves a woman dead, and her daughter the only surviving witness, Lau must protect the young girl from the ruthless gang that wants her dead.

A loose reimagining of Peter Weir’s 1985 film WITNESS, WILD SEARCH showcases Ringo Lam’s often underrated versatility as a director. With beautiful cinematography by Andrew Lau (INFERNAL AFFAIRS) and a dreamy score by Lowell Lo, Eureka Classics is proud to present WILD SEARCH in its UK debut on Blu-ray.

SPECIAL EDITION BLU-RAY CONTAINS:
Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Grégory Sacré (Gokaiju) [First Print Run of 2000 copies only] | 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a High Definition transfer from the original film elements | Original Cantonese audio | Optional English Subtitles | Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival) | Archival interview with actor Roy Cheung | PLUS: A LIMITED EDITION collector’s booklet featuring new writing by David West (NEO Magazine) [First Print Run of 2000 copies only]

*All extras subject to change

WILD SEARCH (Eureka Classics) Blu-ray Edition is available to PRE-ORDER NOW from the Eureka Store https://bit.ly/3x9RYcP Zavvi https://bit.ly/3ximdOw

New Announcement | THE MILLIONAIRES’ EXPRESS, Sammo Hung’s action-comedy-western adventure, will be released in its UK debut as a Limited-Edition Blu-ray (3000 copies only) as part of the Eureka Classics range from 26 July 2021. The Definitive Limited 2-Disc Collector’s Edition will feature 4 versions of the film (all as brand new 2K restorations), O-Card Slipcase, Reversible Poster and Collector's Booklet. Available to PRE-ORDER NOW from the Eureka Store https://bit.ly/3tAy3RZ Zavvi https://bit.ly/3n7F5LI

The Far East meets the Old West in this iconic action-packed adventure from the inimitable Sammo Hung. Hung plays a loveable rogue who teams up with an incorruptible Sheriff (Yuen Biao; PROJECT A, WHEELS ON MEALS) to save their home town from certain destruction.

Featuring an explosion of brawls, bandits, and bordellos; THE MILLIONAIRES’ EXPRESS is Sammo Hung’s loving tribute to classic Western tropes, but also one of his finest pieces of action cinema. An electrifying fast-paced fusion of dynamic martial artistry, death-defying stunts, and physical comedy. Also starring Rosamund Kwan, Richard Ng, and Cynthia Rothrock (plus an abundance of cameos from other Hong Kong cinema legends) – THE MILLIONAIRES’ EXPRESS makes its UK debut on Blu-ray in this definitive edition as part of Eureka Classics.

LIMITED EDITION 2-DISC BLU-RAY CONTAINS:
Four versions of the film across two Blu-ray discs, all presented from brand new 2K restorations | O-Card Slipcase featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling | Reversible poster featuring new and original artwork | Bonus Disc featuring the English language version of the film originally prepared for the international theatrical release; and a new cut of the film prepared exclusively for this release that combines footage from the original theatrical and extended cuts of the film to present a hypothetical “complete” version | Collector’s Booklet featuring new writing and rare archival imagery

DISC ONE:
1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the Original Hong Kong Theatrical Cut from a brand new 2K restoration | 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the Extended Version (sometimes erroneously labelled the International Cut) of the film from a brand new 2K restoration | Cantonese audio (original mono presentation) | Alternate English dub track | Rare alternate Cantonese soundtrack | Optional English dubbed audio | Optional English Subtitles (newly translated for this release) | Brand new feature length audio commentary by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival) [Hong Kong Theatrical Version] | Brand new select scene commentary by actress and martial arts movie icon, Cynthia Rothrock [Hong Kong Theatrical Version] | Brand new audio commentary by Mike Leeder and Arne Venema [Extended Version] | Brand new interview with Cynthia Rothrock | Archival interview with Sammo Hung | Archival interview with Cynthia Rothrock | Archival interview with Yuen Biao | Archival interview with Yukari Oshima | Alternate English opening & closing credits | Trailers

DISC TWO (Bonus Disc):
1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the English Language Version from a brand new 2K restoration | 1080p presentation on Blu-ray of the Hybrid Cut, newly created exclusively for this release from a brand new 2K restoration | Original English dubbed audio track [English Language Version] | Original Cantonese mono audio [Hybrid Cut] | Optional English subtitles

*All extras subject to change

THE MILLIONAIRES’ EXPRESS (Eureka Classics) Limited Edition 2-Disc Blu-ray is available to PRE-ORDER NOW from the Eureka Store https://bit.ly/3tAy3RZ Zavvi https://bit.ly/3n7F5LI
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

So they limited the Lucky Stars Collection, three of the most iconic titles outside of the "big JC titles" from the 80s starring Jackie Chan (enough screentime for them to slap his mug all over the packaging at least) and three films for a reasonable price of sub £30 to 2000 copies, yet a £22 bells, whistles, the kitchen sink and the plumbing thrown in to boot ultimate edition of Millionaire's Express, a film that never held any real appeal beyond the most hardcore of the fanbase here in the west, justifies a 3000 copy run. If that's an explicit admission that they screwed the pooch with their allocations for the Lucky Stars Collection, or Eureka are truly throwing darts at the wall fully blindfolded to decide how many copies they allocate to their limited editions! :icon_suspect:
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Eureka has a 4K Police Story trilogy boxset coming in late Sept. 88 Films has a 4K Dragons Forever release in late Aug. I'm keen for both.
chazgower01
King of Beggars

Post by chazgower01 »

88Films has a In The Line Of Duty: I - IV Blu-Ray coming out May 16, 2023, that's not even on their web site yet? Wow! Looking forward to this!

https://www.amazon.com/Line-Duty-I-IV/d ... 172&sr=8-2

grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

That art is very well done if it's been hand drawn/painted, but there's lots going on there