LOTR: EE's in HD in 2011

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

LOTR: EE's in HD in 2011

Post by grim_tales »

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/01 ... ming-soon/
The One Ring wrote:Our sources are telling us that the always reliable (and great) film-on-disc website http://www.digitalbits.com is correct its Lord of The Rings Blu-ray news. Bill Hunt released the info in his column today. We had not heard a final decision had been reached but Hunt knows his stuff and can be trusted. This is both good and bad.

The good: Expect the extended-edition version of all three LOTR films in 2011. Warner will attempt to do these in (obviously) extremely high quality transfers that will fix minor items here and there and still likely put one movie on two discs rather than cram data to one disc and let quality suffer.

The bad: The wait for the EEs will be over but the wait for the Ultimate Box Set has probably been pushed back until post-”Hobbit” movies. The version of the films due this year will probably contain very little or no new additional content on the extras. When Peter Jackson officially took over as director of the pair of new films, any chance of him working on the ultimate edition of the film with new extras probably was postponed. It is clear from comments from actors and Jackson that there are more extras, waiting in the wings for the eventual, hi-def edition of these films and the special release has been planned from the beginning.

Additional comments: With the home video market suffering as it is, making an exact duplication transfer is much less expensive than adding additional value which studios no longer see as a good financial proposition.

Additional extras still seem to be a possibility but if there are any, they would likely be minor and a far cry from the full-blown material that was held in reserve. For consumers, this means not only the prospect of buying these films again on Blu-ray now but then buying them again in a few years with the rich historic and definitive extras. Still, the prospect of never getting the fabled “Ultimate Box Set” seems even worse.

And, getting the EEs on Blu-ray, extras or not, will be a popular choice for many of our readers and many consumers besides.

If the 3D aspect of “The Hobbit” is beloved, we will likely see the whole LOTR saga redone in a 3D home version and released on its own as well. Jackson has been widely reported to have done a 10-minute segment of King Kong into a converted 3D with very nice (but expensive) results. If consumers lose interest in the LOTR on home disc, then clearly no further editions would make financial sense. That seems unlikely.
Here's what The Digital Bits said:

“What’s more, our sources are NOW telling us that WHV (Warner Home Video) (and their now in-house New Line label) is ALSO planning to release Peter Jackson’s long-awaited The Lord of the Rings Trilogy: Extended Editions on Blu-ray sometime this year. No kidding. We suspect that, now that The Hobbit films are finally about to begin filming, the studio is eager to get more product on store shelves to keep the franchise fresh in the minds of fans. The Extended Rings films on BD are the obvious choice for this year. Farther down the line, of course, there will be the obvious Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D versions of The Hobbit films, and sooner or later an “ultimate” box set of all the films with all new extras custom created by Jackson. Anyway, our sources tell us to expect some kind of official news on all this (re: Rings: Extended and Kubrick) from the studio in the next several weeks. “

Glad the EE's are finally coming but then theres the prospect of buying them AGAIN in a super duper boxset.
The DVD EE's are already very good.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: LOTR: EE's in HD in 2011

Post by bradavon »

So they're going to release them THREE times! WTF!

As long as these get a decent HD overhaul (I hear the TCs are bit ropey) I don't care about waiting for the UEs. I'm sure they'll have enough extras for me. The UE is bound to be pricey anyway.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

As long as all the DVD extras are included, I'll probably upgrade. The EE packaging looks good (DVDs) and I like the menus.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Well its from The Digital Bits, so may well be bullshit, like most crap on that site.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

when i get time i'm going to rewatch these on dvd.wasn't that mad about them on initial viewing and wondered what the hype was about.hopefully watching them again will give me a more positive outlook.
working class blu-ray fan
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

First viewing of one of the first 2 EE round a mates house (a big LOTR fan), I slept though most of it! :oops:

Had 1 & 2 theatrical cut and got rid of the DVD's after about 2 viewings. Never owned ROTK though I did enjoy in the Cinema - it's the only one I'd be fussed to revisit one day. It's in the IMDB top 10 or something! :D :D :D :roll:
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'll rewatch them again sometime. The documentaries on the making of the movies are brilliant.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:Well its from The Digital Bits, so may well be bullshit, like most crap on that site.
I didn't say earlier but was thinking the same.
grim_tales wrote:As long as all the DVD extras are included, I'll probably upgrade. The EE packaging looks good (DVDs) and I like the menus.
The EE DVD sets have extras overkill IMO. I've barely looked at any of them and those mega long making ofs bore me stupid. I like historical documentaries but there's only so much "making of" I care about.

Personally I wouldn't miss them. Thanks btw.
grim_tales wrote:The EE packaging looks good (DVDs) and I like the menus.
Where can you see these?
Additional comments: With the home video market suffering as it is, making an exact duplication transfer is much less expensive than adding additional value which studios no longer see as a good financial proposition
Is it any different than it ever was? It's collectors/fans who buy the extras laden release, not the mass market.
Last edited by bradavon on 18 Jan 2011, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

The Making Of's are more than EPK puff pieces in this case, giving great insight into the characters, books etc but I see what you're saying.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

There's only so much man swinging on camera seat and close up interviewees on chairs footage I can handle :D.
degeneration
Royal Tramp

Post by degeneration »

Film on 2 discs? That really will ruin it for me... I don't want to have to pause to swap over a disc when watching a film. I'd rather have slightly less quality and it on one disc, than better quality on 2.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

When it comes to DVD I accepted it because MPEG2 compression is ancient but AVC/VC1 are much more clever at fitting more on a disc. Surely a BD50 for each film should be fine? So yes, it would bother me too.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Amazon apparently now has a listing for the EE's on BD:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ref=pe ... B0026L7H20
I wouldnt pre order them til reviews come in though.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

2011 or 2012 :D.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Amazon are COCKS they make shit up and lie, it means nothing if they list it.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It's merely a pre-order listings page to gage interest. It's got nothing to do with lying.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

If you say so :lol:
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

bradavon wrote:It's merely a pre-order listings page to gage interest. It's got nothing to do with lying.
Grim likes this.
Amazon quite often do this.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:If you say so :lol:
You've never heard of marketing then?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

You have no idea what marketing is then.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I know it's normal practice to put up listings well in advance to gage interest. You should know this, you go to plenty of gigs. Amazon clearly state it will be released sometime in 2011 or 2012. Which is correct, is it not?
Last edited by bradavon on 09 Mar 2011, 22:08, edited 1 time in total.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I read this in a forum post at DVD Talk - this may change though?
I was with it until i read this: The Highlighted Part.

Amazon.com has just revealed the cover art, packaging and price for Warner's forthcoming The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy - Limited Extended Edition Blu-ray Disc box set, along with most of the details. SRP for the set is $119.98, but they've got it available for pre-order NOW for just $83.99 (about 30% off). It looks like it's going to be a 9-disc set. Each extended edition film will be included on a Blu-ray disc in high-definition, along with all of the commentaries from the Extended Edition DVD releases, the MTV Movie Awards Easter egg clips for each film AND (and this is a nice and much appreciated touch) the Costa Botes "behind the scenes" documentaries for each film that were on the Limited Edition DVD releases (the ones that had BOTH the theatrical and extended versions of the films via seamless branching). Then, each film in the Blu-ray set will also include both of The Appendices DVD discs for each film that were included in the previous Extended Edition DVD sets. That adds up to 9 discs total, and it appears to mean that if you buy the Blu-ray, nearly every single extra feature from the previous DVDs carries over. Of course, there do not appear to be any new extras, but then we didn't really expect any until Peter Jackson gets around to working on an ultimate box set of these films plus the two Hobbit films (which start shooting in New Zealand later this month). So there you go. Amazon.com indicates that the box will include access to Digital Copy versions of the films as well - you get a code in the box to enable a digital download. The thing I'm most excited about here - aside from the fact that we're finally getting the extended editions in high-defintion - is that all of the 4-disc DVD extras have carried over AND they've added in the Costa Botes documentaries too. I'd hoped for that, but didn't expect it to happen, so I'm pleased to see it did.
The extras on the EE DVDs are beyond exhaustive, I'd be happy with the EE's in HD AND all the DVD extras TBH, it could be years before the Hobbit films come out (both of them).
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Just can't get myself excited over these.they are ok films but so long-winded ,let's be honest-how often would you watch the films let alone the extras?/
working class blu-ray fan
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I don't like elves and goblins.
luckystars
Royal Tramp

Post by luckystars »

gasteropod wrote:I don't like elves and goblins.

Agreed! Best part of the films was Kate and Liv :love:

Here they are, with the the 'Two Hairy Bikers' off the BBC. :D
2010 - The return of the HK movie industry :)