The Bourne Trilogy: US or UK BD?

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

The Bourne Trilogy: US or UK BD?

Post by IronMonkey »

Considering The Bourne Trilogy is currently at Zavvi for just £17.95 I'm very tempted to order it, even though we all know a fourth film will be coming along in 2011. I've had a look at DVD Compare but it only has information on the Dutch BD releases.

Are there any differences between the US and UK BDs of The Bourne Trilogy that you guys know of?

Cheers.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Re: The Bourne Trilogy: US or UK BD?

Post by IronMonkey »

Never mind. I just managed to find out the UK versions of Identity & Supremacy have player generated instead of burnt-in subtitles. I'll be giving the Zavvi "bargain" a miss.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I'd only buy the first movie anyways... are they available individually in the USA?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

They're sold separately everywhere, unless I'm mistaken.

Why are player generated subs so bad? Presuming they only subtitle only what actually needs subtitling. Granted the burnt in subs on Scarface look much better to the player generated ones but that's because there's a fairly lengthy opening credit that fills the screen, that's not the case here.

I'm sure subs aside they're identical.

p.s - Where's it confirmed Part 4 is coming? I even read in the other months Empire Damon was saying it was by no means definite. The story finished it's natural conclusion in Part 3.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

I just hate player-generated subtitles being used when burnt-in titles were used in the cinema prints. Burnt-in ones look like part of the film and have better fonts.

For example, the opening text on the UK DVD of The Terminator was replaced by ridiculous subtitles.

I hate things like that - can't understand why the studios don't just release the films in the best way possible without having to use these new "advancements" in technology.

I made a decision when I started buying BDs that I would only buy the best worldwide version of my favourite films, so that I don't end up with multiple copies or hundreds that I don't want, which is what happened with DVD.

I'm planning on keeping my BD collection relatively small - 100 titles or so, and only my favourite films are going to be included.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

IronMonkey wrote:I hate things like that - can't understand why the studios don't just release the films in the best way possible without having to use these new "advancements" in technology.
Money! North America's so big they can release one disc for just them but The UK isn't, so we get a "European" disc.

I agree btw, as in my example for Scarface but overall it doesn't really bother me.
IronMonkey wrote:I'm planning on keeping my BD collection relatively small - 100 titles or so, and only my favourite films are going to be included.
Me too. I'm at 75 BDs/HD-DVDs = 24 HD-DVDs/51 BDs.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Video-generated captions and subs are crap. Europe should not be treated as one giant entity. I speak English I therefore want English disc labels and English captions. Let other Euro countries produce their own (which they do anyways!)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Not always. Many discs are owned by the same studio across Europe but obviously not always. It's never going to change, the population of the continent of Europe is roughly the same as the USA.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Almost all my BDs are/will be DVD upgrades so far :)
Tutut
Little White Dragon

Post by Tutut »

IronMonkey wrote:Never mind. I just managed to find out the UK versions of Identity & Supremacy have player generated instead of burnt-in subtitles. I'll be giving the Zavvi "bargain" a miss.
Burnt-in subs, non english speakers have the pleasure to see, during russian dialogs, the english subs from the theatrical version at the bottom of the screen and their language subs at the top. :mad:
Tutut
Little White Dragon

Post by Tutut »

IronMonkey wrote:I just hate player-generated subtitles being used when burnt-in titles were used in the cinema prints. Burnt-in ones look like part of the film and have better fonts.
Blu-Ray authoring is bad when it's question of subtitles, the format permit different fonts, sizes and colors.
I made a decision when I started buying BDs that I would only buy the best worldwide version of my favourite films, so that I don't end up with multiple copies or hundreds that I don't want, which is what happened with DVD.
5th Element, Full Metal Jacket first edition were so bad we had another release. :)
I'm planning on keeping my BD collection relatively small - 100 titles or so, and only my favourite films are going to be included.
I will buy more classics because I only have few on DVD.
Tutut
Little White Dragon

Post by Tutut »

Markgway wrote:I speak English I therefore want English disc labels and English captions. Let other Euro countries produce their own (which they do anyways!)
And english censorship ;) . The business is the same than with DVD, depending on the rights owner.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

You people want burnt in subs? That's new. I wouldn't want to watch First Strike or Rumle in the Bronx HK BDs with burnt in Chinese subs on the screen half of the time. Or did you mean only the UK and US should use burnt in subs (because you speak English, and can't understand any other languages), and the rest of the world should use removable subtitles (because you speak English).
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Thats completely different. The subtitles in the Bourne films are part of the film - i.e. they were like that in the cinema. Its the same with the UK Bond DVDs that had the place names changed to player-generated subtitles.

Foreigh films are different. Any titles within the film I would expect to remain that way, but have changeable subtitles underneath. For example, when you have a Chinese film that shows a shot of a banner to name a mrtial arts school, you wouldn't expec the BD makers to erase the Chinese symbols from the sign and then get the player to generate the symbols / translation in the black border would you?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

As long as the subs appear for the foreign language parts without prompting from the remote i couldn't give a shit whether they are player-generated or not..to be bothered by something so trivial seems a little anal retentive to me... ;)
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Tutut wrote:Burnt-in subs, non english speakers have the pleasure to see, during russian dialogs, the english subs from the theatrical version at the bottom of the screen and their language subs at the top. :mad:
You shouldn't have to put up with that in France. But obviously the UK is different.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

ok, Monkey, I get your point. But I would limit the burnt in subs to names of places. Dialogue, definitely not. Sucks to watch US dvd of Sex and Fury when you have burnt in Japanese subtitles on the screen in the English spoken parts.

US dvd of Sex and Fury

Journey to Japan Swedish dvd is even worse. They get Japanese subtitles for the Swedish language parts...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Wasnt the UK Sex and Fury DVD the same, Hung?
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

grim_tales wrote:Wasnt the UK Sex and Fury DVD the same, Hung?
Should be
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Wait, are we saying the UK BDs of The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy feature burnt-in location titles and optional foreign language titles, or player generated titles for everything?

I can probably live with player-generated titles for the foreign dialogue, but absolutely not for the location titles.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

On the downside, this UK release features generic player-generated location type and subtitles for the non-English dialogue, unlike the burned-in text and correct typefaces used for the US version. A similar problem affects The Bourne Ultimatum.
DVD Times review of The Bourne Identity

I'm definitely avoiding this release then.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Can the US releases be bought seperately or as a Trilogy box?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Apparently not but single disc releases are coming in January too. Annoyingly as BD/DVD Combo discs though.
Tutut
Little White Dragon

Post by Tutut »

IronMonkey wrote:Thats completely different. The subtitles in the Bourne films are part of the film - i.e. they were like that in the cinema. Its the same with the UK Bond DVDs that had the place names changed to player-generated subtitles.
I don't think subs are part of the films.
I checked my UK discs, only The Bourne Supremacy has burnt-in subs and locations, I'd like to know if it is the same with the UK DVD, because it's not with the french R2 according to a friend. Universal messed this edition (to me burnt-in subs are bad :) ), Supremacy Blu-Ray is the same in France and, I guess, in every european country, if it was for the UK only it would not have 15 languages.
Foreigh films are different. Any titles within the film I would expect to remain that way, but have changeable subtitles underneath. For example, when you have a Chinese film that shows a shot of a banner to name a mrtial arts school, you wouldn't expec the BD makers to erase the Chinese symbols from the sign and then get the player to generate the symbols / translation in the black border would you?
I don't see your point, a banner has nothing to compare with a location appearing on the bottom of the screen, and think about films like L'auberge Espagnole (aka The Spanish Apartment aka Pot Luck), can you imagine watching this film with any non french dialogs with french burnt-in subbed. :roll:
Tutut
Little White Dragon

Post by Tutut »

Markgway wrote:You shouldn't have to put up with that in France. But obviously the UK is different.
I bought the UK discs seven months ago, for 37€ shipping in at bangcd, the problem of burnt-in subs occurs only on Supremacy and french and UK discs are the same.