Taken: UK or US BD?

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Taken: UK or US BD?

Post by IronMonkey »

Hi guys.

I'm trying to figure out which is the best version to get of Taken on BD. The US version apparently has both cuts (via seamless branching?) and more extras, but I'm sure I read somewhere that the UK version is better for some other reason.

Anyway, what do you guys know about the discs? I've noticed the US BD is $14.99 at Amazon.com at the moment, which is why I ask...
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Taken: UK or US BD?

Post by saltysam »

well the uk has no harcoded subs for the small amount of non-english dialogue,the us one does,however i think mark posted about problems with the image on the usa disc?
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

US version has burnt-in subs for the non-English dialogue.

The HD scenes (about 5 mins worth) looked rank on my BD but that may be the same with the UK disc also? Everything else (ie. 35mm) looked great.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Will the dialogue still be translated if you switch on the English subs on the UK BD?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote:Will the dialogue still be translated if you switch on the English subs on the UK BD?
yes.
working class blu-ray fan
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Thank you :)
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Sounds like the US BD is the one for me then! Burnt-in subtitles all the way please.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Yup as soon as I get a Multiregion player the USA Blu Ray will be bought. I hated watching the UK disc, did my head in.

I complained directly to Fox about the faulty disc, they ignored me so far :lol: ussually they respond, so I will be trying again early next year, give them more months to get back to me with an explanation, or maybe exchange for obviously wrong disc pressing. If america can get it right, then UK should be able to! we miss 3 languages spoken in the film due to no on screen subs, which is crackers.
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

What's especially annoying about the subtitles faux pas is that there are clearly scenes of foreign dialogue in Taken (french included) where we're not meant to know what's being said, but because we don't have the subtitles popping up automatically you're constantly turning them on at times when they're of no use.
HungFist
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by HungFist »

Always complaining. I watch entire movies without subtitles...
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

HungFist wrote:Always complaining. I watch entire movies without subtitles...
Yeah, but you're a crank. icon_suspect
eon
Little White Dragon

Post by eon »

This was one thing that annoyed me about the Aus release of Taken as well (same as the UK release I believe)... shame this did get past quality control as it really does disrupt the flow of the movie having to enable subtitles for certain scenes etc.