Markgway's Inane Blu Ray Questions Thread

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Markgway's Inane Blu Ray Questions Thread

Post by Markgway »

1. The Region A disc of BASIC INSTINCT has all the extras from the DVD; the Region B disc has bugger all. Is there any reason I shouldn't go for the RA? Lionsgate aren't the most reliable company... and some of the Momentum BDs in the UK are better than their US counterparts (Total Recall, for example). Comments?

2. Region B disc of RESERVOIR DOGS has all the extras missing from the Region A... Seems an obvious choice, but any issues I should know about?

3. Dumb one this... but are ALL of the Bond BDs worth upgrading A/V wise? (Not looking for opinions on the films - I knows what I likes). Screen caps of the BDs (eg. THUNDERBALL) show a reddened image... any comments on that guys?
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Markgway's Inane Blu Ray Questions Thread

Post by gasteropod »

The Bond BDs look phenomenal, especially Thunderball. They put a great deal of other BDs of way more modern films to shame.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

If you like extras then the obvious choice is the Region A of Basic Instinct.i'm not so the cheap Region B suited me. i have The Region A Reservoir Dogs,there's not that much on it extras wise from what i remember.Only Bond blu i have outside of the 2 Craig ones is Live & Let Die which i'm yet to watch.
working class blu-ray fan
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

gasteropod wrote:The Bond BDs look phenomenal, especially Thunderball. They put a great deal of other BDs of way more modern films to shame.
Thx. The increased saturation of reds didn't bother you or wasn't noticeable on screen?
saltysam wrote:If you like extras then the obvious choice is the Region A of Basic Instinct.i'm not so the cheap Region B suited me.
You can get the RA for under a tenner. I like Paul Verhoeven commentaries. :) Just wanted to make sure the image wasn't inferior (ala Total Recall).
i have The Region A Reservoir Dogs,there's not that much on it extras wise from what i remember.
Yeah, the RB restores the extras missing from the RA (ie. the dir's commentary, featurettes, etc) so that seems like the obvious choice - and it's cheap from HMV. I just wanted to see if there was any image discrepancies. If I get this they better not send me that fucking petrol can(!)
Only Bond blu i have outside of the 2 Craig ones is Live & Let Die which i'm yet to watch.
Ha - that's one of the few I definitely wouldn't buy. :blackeye:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:2. Region B disc of RESERVOIR DOGS has all the extras missing from the Region A... Seems an obvious choice, but any issues I should know about?
Nope. It's a good disc. I bet it's the same AV/encode. I'd be amazed if they went to the effort to change the picture quality, both are Lionsgate. If anything the UK BD may have a higher bitrate. They've just changed the region coding and added the extras back in.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Markgway wrote:Thx. The increased saturation of reds didn't bother you or wasn't noticeable on screen?
Not at all, it's possibly only something you notice when comparing the two side by side.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Very possible. I never got the Tomorrow Never Dies UE DVD because the snow at the start is pink but I may have never actually noticed it.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

You have a MR BD player right Mark?
I'll get a BD to test out one day when I get my player, I'm sure it'll look very good.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

gasteropod wrote:
Markgway wrote:Thx. The increased saturation of reds didn't bother you or wasn't noticeable on screen?
Not at all, it's possibly only something you notice when comparing the two side by side.
Hopefully that'll be the case for me too. I realise the 60s films were technicolor and that the ultimate edition remasters reduced the reds from the image to make them look more contemporary... judging by the screencaps they may have put too much red back in. That's the risk when films are tampered with after the fact... but by all accounts the image is otherwise outstanding.
grim_tales wrote:You have a MR BD player right Mark?
Apparently so...
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Those are a few movies I'd consider on BD (Basic Instinct, Total Recall).
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Totall Recall looks great on the cheap uk BD.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

So I've heard, loses the UK extras though.
Does anyone have the UK Basic Instinct BD?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

grim_tales wrote:So I've heard, loses the UK extras though.
Are you an extras man?they are nice to have and should be on there but the reality for me is unless it's something significant i never,ever watch them.
grim_tales wrote:Does anyone have the UK Basic Instinct BD?
Yes,i have it.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Sometimes I love extras, depends what they are. I haven't heard the second Total Recall commentary yet (I heard the Arnie/Paul Verhoeven one).
How does the BI BD look?
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I already have the Total Recall Sp. Ed (R1) so I could either keep that as a side item for the extras or make a copy of the disc and stick it away for anytime I want to hear the commentary before selling it.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I make a point of buying the version with extras but if I buy a disc and then a extras one comes out I won't re-buy, not any more.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I have the Total Recall R2 UK (Steelbook).
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I just rip all commentaries to MP3 and that way they take up maybe 60mb on a Hard Drive :)

Picture and sound are what sells me on 90% of discs nowadays, as 99% of extras are so poor :D Reservoir Dogs for instance stinks extras wise, so much fluff and pointlessness.
On Reservoiur Dogs the Blu Ray image alone makes me care little about the extras, amazing film and it looks amazing too :)
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:I make a point of buying the version with extras but if I buy a disc and then a extras one comes out I won't re-buy, not any more.
The problem with Total Recall is that none of the BDs have the DVD extras. And even if they the did I think image quality is more important. Most extras are the sort you would only watch once anyways. But yes I would go with the extras-laden disc if otherwise the comparison was the same. As for re-buying (I assume you mean re-buying on the same format and not upgrading a DVD to BD?) it would really depend on the differences. Improved AV would be a priority naturally. With regards to added extras it would depnd on what those extras were. A director's commentary is always good. Deleted scenes or a lenghty making of (not mini-featurettes) are things I like too. It really does depend.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I assume you mean re-buying on the same format and not upgrading a DVD to BD?
Of course.
Improved AV would be a priority naturally.
In what I was saying, it is assumed the AV is basically the same.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I see Movietyme are selling Thunderball (A) for £10.99.

Anyone know of a £1 voucher so I can get this under a tenner?

Makes me feel better. :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Regarding Warner's book collector's editions...

(Eg. Batman, JFK, Falling Down, etc)

How do these sit on your shelf alongside regular cases? Are they flimsy? I've no idea how they look.
Last edited by Markgway on 18 Aug 2009, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Markgway wrote:I see Movietyme are selling Thunderball (A) for £10.99.

Anyone know of a £1 voucher so I can get this under a tenner?

Makes me feel better. :D
Do you have to get Region A? as that title and most the other bonds have been cheaper in the UK latley. I would keep your eyes peeled :) if amazon never upped their prices they would have been great on there :(

Not sure but I think Movietyme vouchers may be customer specific.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Markgway wrote:Regarding Warner's book collector's editions... (Eg. Batman, JFK, Falling Down, etc).

How do these sit on your shelf alongside regular cases? Are they flimsy? I've no idea how they loook.
I've wondered the same but given the cost I've never bothered.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'm interested in Falling Down BD :)