Thomson Multi-Region Blu-Ray Player (HK Import)

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

Not a bad price :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It's okay, for that you can get a UK model at Multiregion Magic. No offence Mark but I'd ignore the Asian imports, you're just asking for trouble.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

The Thomson is multi-region out of the box though, no modding required. Can you get a multi-region player anywhere in the UK for less than £242? The reason I'd avoid an Asian import (actually any import) is because of the VAT you'll get hit for. An additional 15% plus handling puts another £36+ on top. If you factor in the VAT charges and it still works out as good value then that's different... Also Thomson are a famous company and were involved with BD from the beginning.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

LG and Samsung are even better makes than Thomson, it doesn't mean they can manage to make a flawless BD player.

BD Players, DVD Recorders and to a lesser extent DVD Players aren't like say TVs, they're much more complicated pieces of kit. Meaning the margin for ever is much higher. Samsung make excellent TVs but I wouldn't touch their DVD Recorders with a bargepole.

The same goes for cheapo makes of BD Players. Personally I'd wait until you can get a Panasonic, Sony, Pioneer or similar. The rest still all seem to have problems. Although I've not kept abreast of the current Samsung range.

It seems you're right about the price though. Mrmdvd.com definitely used to sell a Panasonic BD MR for under £300 (Profile 1.1, like this). There has been several articles to say electronic prices would be going up. I guess this is prove of it.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:Samsung make excellent TVs but I wouldn't touch their DVD Recorders with a bargepole.
You've got that right. We have a Samsung DVD Recorder bought on sale and it's a bit shit frankly.
There has been several articles to say electronic prices would be going up. I guess this is prove of it.
Blu-Ray will never take off like DVD has. It's the new Laserdisc. And current prices ensure it will stay that way.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

When I say Samsung DVD Recorders, I also include their HDD/DVD Recorder Combo range (which stupidly all manufacturers still call DVD Recorders), they're even more flaky. They get nothing but shat on at AVForums.

Only a fool (of which I'm not including you here), would ever have thought BD will take off or even replace DVD. It always was going to be a niche market. Downloads or Streaming will be the next truly big thing.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

No interest in downloads or streaming as any kind or replacement for discs.

I like an original hard copy to hold in my hand.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I was talking about what's likely to replace DVD, not what you like ;-).

Seriously both have their place. I too am a hard copy man but the idea of also having a wealth of content at my finger tips (like BBC iPlayer) is intriguing to put it likely.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:Only a fool (of which I'm not including you here), would ever have thought BD will take off or even replace DVD. It always was going to be a niche market. Downloads or Streaming will be the next truly big thing.
Niche as in selling millions and making shitloads of cash.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I think BD *may8* supercede and replace DVD eventually but not for quite a while.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:Niche as in selling millions and making shitloads of cash.
It's still something like less than 10% market share. Millions means shit.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

bradavon wrote:I was talking about what's likely to replace DVD, not what you like ;-).
I know. I wasn't having a go. Just stating my own position.
Seriously both have their place. I too am a hard copy man but the idea of also having a wealth of content at my finger tips (like BBC iPlayer) is intriguing to put it likely.
True. It's the idea of replacement that concerns me not the additional options.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

My usa ps3 has developed the yellow ring of death,if i can't fix it i may get a multi-region BD...prices are outrageous though.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Shite, how old's your PS3?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

gasteropod wrote:Shite, how old's your PS3?
about 27 months old.my son reckons he can fix it,we'll see!
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

Yellow ring of death? Sounds like a toilet seat.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

How can he fix it?

Sorry to hear that Salty. It sounds like a known fault.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Sony may well put problems into their machines, just because they know the majority of people with just get another PS3 :D I know I would.

Or toss it down the stairs and claim on insurance :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Can you get MR PS3s now?
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:How can he fix it?
My son fixed my ps3 with equipment costing a total of £16 :D console repairers were wanting upwards of £70+ to do the work.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

What needed to be done to it?
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:Can you get MR PS3s now?
I still cannot see it ever happening, becuase you need the latest firmware to play the latest games and discs, without the up to date stuff you cannot even load some discs.
So any hack will nearly always be overwritten somehow by the new firmware. Well in theory :D until some boffin makes an amazing piece of code which can also be updated with every new official Sony firmware update.

Still you never know it may be around the corner, we aint in the hackin world, they keep these things close to their sweaty bodies until the word go :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Thanks Romero.

I'm sure the Panasonic BD MR Players are hardware soldered and not firmware related, so you never know. They handle BD just as well as the PS3 does. That said, it's VERY likely if it was possible, it would've been done by now.

If I were to buy one today I'd get a Panasonic or maybe Sony (I don't know much about those), no contest. MR all the way!
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

Yup, Panasonics are done via harware mod & can still be firmware updated.

Anything is possible, so I can see the same happening to the PS3 one day.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server