Thomson Multi-Region Blu-Ray Player (HK Import)

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I wonder if it's much harder, given that it's the most popular BD Player out there.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Thing is with the PS3 some discs just wont work unless you get brand spanking new Firmware, it can be a pain.
I think my Rambo would not work on my PS3, I had not connected it to the net yet and the actual Blu Ray had the firmware on it, but it was corrupt or something, so you can imagine having a player that could not play the disc for a while was a pain in the bum!

Now I have my PS3 online its no problem, but I can see a few people having bother on a PS3. They have had more than enough time to hack the PS3, its not exactly a new machine now, if they could do it, they would have. It has to be bloomin hard to work around all Sonys stuff, hard mod or firmware hacks must just not work (yet).

I am considering getting another machine myself just for multiregion playing of all dvds and all Blu Rays, as I really cannot be bothered to wait for someone to hack the PS3, if it ever gets done perfectly.

So in a way a cheapo HK player may well help with that :D mind you the UK is getting £60 Blu Players now so it cannot be long until we all have very cheap Multiregion players.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:Thing is with the PS3 some discs just wont work unless you get brand spanking new Firmware, it can be a pain.
That's universal across "all" BD Players :). My LG Combo Player has had about 5 firmware releases in it's lifetime.

A hardware hack sits above a (software) firmware one.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Ahh thats even more of a pain if its all players.

Ahh the good old days when you could just put a dvd in a machine and have it work :D
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

romerojpg wrote:Ahh thats even more of a pain if its all players.
It's getting much better. The trouble is the BD spec. was released way before it was clearly finalised and we're only really recently coming out of it.

I get the impression Sony are quick to fix problems, so it's not big deal. Other makes are rubbish, don't count on HK makes to fix problems quickly.
romerojpg wrote:Ahh the good old days when you could just put a dvd in a machine and have it work :D
There were problems with DVDs too remember. We're only what 3 years in with BD. The DVD format is much, much older. Sure things were much smoother with DVD though.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

I remember the HKL disc of 'Drive' causing loads of problems, it just wouldn't play past the layer change on any player I tried it on, even though I tried more than one copy of it (one which HKL sent to me saying definitely works!).
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

My first Samsung DVD Player had to have a firmware upgrade to play The Matrix. Drive worked fine.
grim_tales
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by grim_tales »

I'm sure my copy of Drive worked fine. I havent seen the film in ages though.