The Dark Knight: US DVD / BD - 09/12/08

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

The Dark Knight: US DVD / BD - 09/12/08

Post by bradavon »

In 2 Disc SE DVD and BD form, plus an LE:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/ ... night.html

Woo hoo, this will be mine! The standard 2 Disc SE BD that is.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

The 9th? I'm pretty sure the UK BD I pre-ordered said the 8th. UK getting something first for once?!
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The UK often gets discs a few days before The USA.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Edge enhancement according to this review: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/1825/darkknight.html
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

a lot of posters on various forums don't like the shifting aspect ratio.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

This review, says the shifting aspect ratio works well:

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/Playbac ... +Knight+BD

I have mine pre-ordered (UK). I cannot wait. So America has got their pre-orders early, right? It's not due in America or the UK for another 2 weeks.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

a knowledgable guy from dvdforums posted this earlier...

"Watched it tonight and although generally it is a decent transfer, it is not what it should be. It is clear, as has been pointed out, that artificial sharpening has been added to the 'regular' scenes, in order to attempt to bring them in line with the imax sequences, but it clearly doesn't work.

Any trainee display calibrator, could tell you that sharpening an image artificially actually destroys detail, which is why all sets have their sharpness turned way down when professionally seen to.

It is a scandal that a professional authoring house, should so spectacularly misunderstand this very basic of film processing, and when coupled with the rest of the discs contents, which feature dull, dull, dull extras, alongside a pretty decent soundtrack, make this a disappointing release."
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

saltysam wrote:"Watched it tonight and although generally it is a decent transfer, it is not what it should be. It is clear, as has been pointed out, that artificial sharpening has been added to the 'regular' scenes, in order to attempt to bring them in line with the imax sequences, but it clearly doesn't work.
Interesting, what a shame.
saltysam wrote:Any trainee display calibrator, could tell you that sharpening an image artificially actually destroys detail, which is why all sets have their sharpness turned way down when professionally seen to.
And way up by default :D.

I seriously doubt it's a disappointing release though. I tend to take forum info with a pinch of salt, it's littered with ridiculously picky members.

Thanks btw.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i'm not all that picky myself but it doesn't sound as good as it should've been.i've ordered mine from hmv,hopefully i'll get it on release day.the usa price is ridiculous at the moment.
working class blu-ray fan
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:
I seriously doubt it's a disappointing release though. I tend to take forum info with a pinch of salt, it's littered with ridiculously picky members.
Well you do not notice in your face Stunt men on screen in films, so its nothing to do with Picky.

Its shitty Edge Enhancement, only blind people do not notice. Or they have small screens, so why even have HD at all.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Well, you're one of the most picky members on the web, so I wouldn't expect any less.
saltysam wrote:i'm not all that picky myself but it doesn't sound as good as it should've been.
True.
saltysam wrote:i've ordered mine from hmv
I saved 6p and pre-ordered it from The Hut :D.
saltysam wrote:the usa price is ridiculous at the moment.
It certainly is. That god damn exchange rate.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:
saltysam wrote:i've ordered mine from hmv
I saved 6p and pre-ordered it from The Hut :D.
well don't forget the 7% quidco i got back on the £14.99 :)
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

9% NOW :D
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I'd imagine the shifting ratios would annoy me.

Why not branch it so that you can watch the whole film in 2.35 if you choose?

BD is not IMAX so what's the point?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

How can they fit both versions on one disc? Even with branching it would need too much space. It's already a 3 disc set (Film + Lame Extras + Digital Copy). I cannot see it being 4 discs.
BD is not IMAX so what's the point?
Open Matte + High Resolution.
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

High resolution means nothing when its IMAX down to BD.

I agree with Markgway - they should've made it branch so that we could view it in 2.35:1 if we want to.

Of course they could fit both versions on one disc. Its not like the whole film has to be on there twice - just the IMAX scenes, which would be branched in if the viewer wanted them.

I'm assuming the IMAX scenes just open to fill the 1.78:1 widescreen frame? I'm pretty sure they were 1.44:1 at the cinema (closer to 4:3 aspect ratio), which would result in black bars at the sides of the image. If the IMAX scenes are in 1.78:1, it was pretty pointless including them like that because they're not even representitive of how the film was shown in cinemas (which is what Nolan intends the BD to be)!
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

IronMonkey wrote:High resolution means nothing when its IMAX down to BD.
That's not true actually, the reviewer mentioned that the IMAX scenes look better with added detail and clarity, and I know what he's on about because the Dark Knight intro on the Batman Begins Blu-ray has the best image I have yet seen on BD, and that is an IMAX scene...
IronMonkey
Royal Tramp

Post by IronMonkey »

I've seen the intro on BD & I don't think its the best thing on BD yet. I was expecting it to be miles apart from normal BD clarity, but its not.

Look at it this way - IMAX & film are both being scaled down to the same resolution of 1920x1080. The IMAX scenes will look marginally better, but not a great leap.

The whole point of putting the IMAX scenes onto this BD was to preserve the original 1.44:1 aspect ratio, but I don't think that has been done.
TH-42PX80 | DMP-BD50 (MR BD & DVD) | SA-XR55 | SB-TP20 | XBox 360 Slim 250GB | XBox (XBMC, 160GB) | Zotac XBMC HTPC | Gaming PC | 8TB Media Server
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

IronMonkey wrote:High resolution means nothing when its IMAX down to BD.
Several reviews have said the IMAX scenes look better, more detailed. Much like the concept behind Upscaling I'd imagine.
IronMonkey wrote:Of course they could fit both versions on one disc. Its not like the whole film has to be on there twice - just the IMAX scenes, which would be branched in if the viewer wanted them.
Of course, my mistake.
IronMonkey wrote:I'm assuming the IMAX scenes just open to fill the 1.78:1 widescreen frame? I'm pretty sure they were 1.44:1 at the cinema (closer to 4:3 aspect ratio), which would result in black bars at the sides of the image. If the IMAX scenes are in 1.78:1, it was pretty pointless including them like that because they're not even representitive of how the film was shown in cinemas (which is what Nolan intends the BD to be)!
A compromise I'd imagine.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

Actually the whole point is to open up the image, which is exactly what it does. I'm especially looking forward to seeing the bit where the Tumbler drives under the lorry, as I recall that shot being slightly cramped in the 2.35:1 version (albeit an amazing shot all the same) and could look even better on the BD.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:Much like the concept behind Upscaling I'd imagine.
Whut? It's more like those 6K restorations or whatever they're called having more detail in them than your usual high-def transfers - because the IMAX scenes have more detail in them to begin with, even being downscaled to BD standards they'll still retain more detail than the norm.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Yes that too. Upscaled images look better as there is more detail, despite the source being the same. You get the idea.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

My UK BD is on its way apparently, woohoo! :)
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Where from? Hopefully mine soon too.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

HMV, for £13.49 8)