Rambo series: HD releases

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Rambo series: HD releases

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I was having a read of this review's technical sections of the "First Blood" Lionsgate BD.

BD25 encoded with AVC, not bad specs at all. But the audio is only DTS-HD HR, unlike the Studio Canal HD-DVD which has a DTS-HD Master track.

It'l be interesting to see how the Lionsgate BDs of the first three films stack up against the HD-DVDs, IQ wise. The BD trilogy boxset looks cheap enough, so I'll probably pick that (for the extras mainly, the HD-DVDs are barren) and make some comparisons.

Sony are putting out the Rambo 4 UK BD (and likely the Australasian one too, as they're the local distributor of the theatrical release), so there's a good chance that it'll be region free. If the specs are identical to the Lionsgate release (minus that "digital copy" rubbish), then I'd consider it a must buy.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I have now seen all three of the HD-DVDs and am very pleased with the transfers. I look forward to seeing how the BDs compare.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

i have 2 & 3 on HD-DVD and also think the transfers are very good.i already own the lionsgate BD of the first one. tempted to get the BD box set though.
working class blu-ray fan
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver

Post by Old Pang Yau »

I'll finally be getting a PS3 next month, so my first purchases on Blu-Ray will be the Rambo series... still irritated that they decided to release the fourth film as a standalone only. Oh well, more Best Buy "rewards zone" points for me :D
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Sony's UK BD specs for Rambo 4 have been revealed.

There's a high likelihood that it'll be region free, since Sony is the distributor.

vs.

The Lionsgate US BD.

The UK release has a 5.1 lossless track, but the US equivalent has a 7.1 lossless track. There's a high probability that the Lionsgate will be region-coded though.

It may seem like the UK BD has more extras, but those additional featurettes are most probably featured on the US release via its PiP "commentary".
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Well spotted about the audio. I'll forgo 7.1 to get Region Free. It will be years before I can play 7.1. I'm not even convinced I ever well, six speakers is already more than enough to put in a living room.
EvaUnit02 wrote:It may seem like the UK BD has more extras, but those additional featurettes are most probably featured on the US release via its PiP "commentary".
The UK BD has more extras even without that. The UK BD also mentions PIP commentary secondary to the branching featurettes.

It's good the Sony BD will have Lossless Audio and is Region Free.
dvdvision
Pedicab Driver

Post by dvdvision »

Careful with the studiocanal releases, audio is pitched to 25fbs on all Rambo releases, even though the movies are actual 24fps transferts.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

I'm aware of the pitch problems on some of the Studio Canal HD-DVDs. I didn't notice them, so I don't really care.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Rambo: Quadrilogy Blu-ray Box set in June:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rambo-Ultimate- ... B0018SHULU

That's also the cheapest I can find it.

It's interesting as it seems Optimum now own the UK rights to Rambo 1-3 instead of Momentum. It's particularly interesting when no details have been released of the new DVDs/BDs at all.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Do optimum region code their bd's?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Nope! None have been Region coded so far. As you know neither do Sony.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

oh ok,just that according to the list over at dtv forum and the following link Wolf Creek is not region-free

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php ... post806181
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Who cares anyway?

Brads getting a super dooper region free ultra combo hologram HD player, so it will work either way.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

You're right Salty. I thought I'd read Wolf Creek was Region Free but it appears to be Region B:

http://bluray.liesinc.net/index.php?region=b

That said: Pan's Labyrinth is Region Free:

http://bluray.liesinc.net/index.php?region=b

And The Host is also Region Free:

http://avplay.avforums.com/index.php?sh ... eview=9121

Optimum's other BDs I cannot find out either way. Considering Lionsgate are releasing these on BD a month earlier I'd say there's a good chance these will be Region Free. Optimum could've region locked Wolf Creek as the USA version is a different cut, who knows.
romerojpg wrote:Who cares anyway?
Salty cares ;). I'd still prefer Region Free as it just keeps life simple, but yes I'd (now) get both regions if I have to.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

The rights to Rambo in the UK change ever few years it seems, many films do, you just have to hope a good company gets the rights when its the right time.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver

Post by Old Pang Yau »

See, THAT is how the Blu-ray set should be packaged... all four films! Not a trilogy of films, then one stand alone Blu-ray, like here in the US. Oh well, I have enough Best Buy reward zone points to get Rambo for free by itself in a couple of weeks :P Just got a PS3 a week ago, but haven't actually bought any Blu-rays yet, so this will be my first... along with the original trilogy.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

The USA Rambo 1-3 extras are much better, if that bothers you. The UK Box set is Region A compatible, so you could always import it.

It's been suggested the Rambo 1-3 BDs "could" be ported from the Studio Canal HD-DVDs (with extras added). Let's look at the evidence:

1. Optimum and Momentum have ported over Studio Canal HD-DVDs
2. Rambo 1-3 oddly have DTS-HD MA
3. I don't think Optimum have ever used DTS-HD MA before.
4. There is also no new DVDs (AFAIK). Why would Optimum create new BDs but not DVDs? The DVDs are still the Momentum ancient ones.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

bradavon wrote:1. Optimum and Momentum have ported over Studio Canal HD-DVDs.
Repackages of the identical discs aren't in any way ports-overs.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

That's what being ported means.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

Only in ignorant Bradavon logic.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Stop calling me ignorant, fuck head!
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver

Post by Old Pang Yau »

bradavon wrote:The USA Rambo 1-3 extras are much better, if that bothers you. The UK Box set is Region A compatible, so you could always import it.
Well, that's probably the best reason why I shouldn't be complaining. I looked at the specs for the first three films in the UK set, and was surprised that they had little to no extras. That being said, I can deal with buying two seperate releases to get all four films... I just still find it weird :P
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It's likely the American box set plus Rambo 4 will be cheaper. They're asking loads for the UK box set.
Old Pang Yau
Pedicab Driver

Post by Old Pang Yau »

bradavon wrote:It's likely the American box set plus Rambo 4 will be cheaper. They're asking loads for the UK box set.
Reason #2 for me not to complain :D