Traffic HD-DVD is a 480i upconvert

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Personally I don't see the point if you're going to get into HD which should play DVDs great too. I hear they can. I'd say wait not.

My point was merely that don't fool yourself into thinking an Interlaced (fed through Scart) signal is enough.

* £550 Pioneer DVD Player that upscales to 1080i and plays both DVD-A/SACD
* I have a Hard Disk/DVD Recorder which offers Progressive Component
* Cheap PVR

I am going to need to keep my Pioneer DVD Player as no BD or HD-DVD Player can play DVD-A and SACD (well the PS3 can play SACD only).
gojensen wrote:Scart
The difference between RGB Scart and component video is so miniscule you probably need a degree and expensive equipment to find it.
I know that's what I said, assuming the Component signal is also Interlaced. As some are, i,e - they don't support Progressive.
gojensen wrote:If Romero is using RGB Scart there's no real need to upgrade.
What? Huh? Bollocks? Scart offers no more than RGB but Interlaced. Component also gives you Progressive.
gojensen wrote:And note, Scart doesn't equal better than composite or s-video. Scart can contain composite signals and it can contain s-video signals, meaning it's no better "just simpler".
I know that's also exactly what I said. Scart is just a transport method.
gojensen wrote:RGB scart is better than composite and s-video though. That is the beauty of scart really, one connector, one cable that does it all.
Except it only offers Interlaced and is far from beautiful, it's awkwardly shaped making it a paint to pull in and take out, and only offers Stereo sound to boot. I don't care it happens to also offers Composite and S-Video both are so dreadful it's a moot point to me.
gojensen wrote:Progressive
Most (all I've seen) progressive players don't care if the contents is progressively encoded or not. There simply isn't a way for the player to know without doing expensive (in time) scanning of the video. Thusly it reads the video signal fed from the MPEG2 decoder, looks at the pulldown flagging and decides wheter the flagging is correct or tries to restructure it.
Which isn't much use if you only have Scart and as you say there's no point getting it.
gojensen wrote:So Romero is right, his TV does upscale - or resize. And Brad is wrong :D The TV takes whatever it is given, and resizes it to the same resolution as it's LCD/Plasma panels native resolution (i.e. scaling a DVD image from 720x576 to say 1366x768 if that happened to be the native resolution of the screen...)
If that's the case (which I beg to differ) why bother selling upscaling DVD players, is it all marketing then?

Okay but Romero still needs a DVD Player with Component to get Progressive Scan, using Scart "is enough" as you say definitely is bollocks. The difference is huge.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

Many New TV's have shitty scalers apprently, from what I have read some are appauling, still that may just be their TV for all I know.

Still I will never know how much things can be improved until I test everything and all the cables, its taxing and time consuing stuff :D

Just getting my PC to work on my Big screen was hard, still havent got full 1080 yet sadly, just above 720 I can magage so far, need a few new bits to get it up.

The actual article this thread was about has come in for some intesnse bullshit on other forums, seems like its not exactly all true thats for sure, a bit of over exadurating seems to have spread from the article. Still shit transfers are not what I want for HD :( I wanted perfection and so far some films I wanted have shite transfers it seems, sad if you ask me.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

What graphics card do you have? Does it support 1920x1080? I hear it can be easier to get the resolution you want from a PC to TV if you use the VGA connection over DVI or HDMI.

It's worth a try.
romerojpg wrote:The actual article this thread was about has come in for some intesnse bullshit on other forums, seems like its not exactly all true thats for sure, a bit of over exadurating seems to have spread from the article.
Really? So it's a load of bollocks and is really some kind of proper HD resolution? Go on explain more.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

bradavon wrote:What graphics card do you have? Does it support 1920x1080? I hear it can be easier to get the resolution you want from a PC to TV if you use the VGA connection over DVI or HDMI.

It's worth a try.
Ohh I can get 1080, just not thru the metohod I want to :( I bought a £17 DVI-HDMI cable you see as everyone said it will work, but my ATI Radeon 9700 doesnt let you do that :( HDMI is too new apprently.

So I would have to pay for a Dongle, and component cables too (not exactly cheap). Rather than waste more cash on them bits, I will probibly just wait till I get my new PC (if I ever do). But I am using VGA at the moment for 1360x768, which is still nice I guess. But I may give in and but the silly dongle and component cables.

and for the Article info go to DVDTALK the HD section, they are argueing like crazy about it on there :D but sen a few forums slagging it all off.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

So how can you get 1080 then? It sounds like you can't, at least not right now. So your graphics card has DVI or VGA and your TV HDMI or VGA right? No HDMI on your graphics card.

What resolution "can you get" using that cable on your TV? It's a shame as DVI is digital over Components analogue connection.
romerojpg
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by romerojpg »

I get 1080 thru a special dongle + wires. I was guessing Component wires, cound be wrong as I just sasw the dongle and went No way! I have to buy that and more wires....

but yes I can get 1080 thats for sure, many people have the dongle, its the only way to get 1080 on my set up. No HDMI on graphics card thats for sure, its 4 years old, no such thing back then :D But DVI is as good and its got that, just need to find out what sort of price the Dongle + wores works out at, if its cheap then its OK, but they dont sell the Dongle in the Uk :( ONLY USof A :( which sucks.
EvaUnit02
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by EvaUnit02 »

romerojpg wrote: but hell my Sony player is 3+ years old now and sure tech has moved along, even a little.
Your DVD player was a backwards piece of crap 3+ years, even when you bought it new. You fail. By 2002, even shitty cheap no-name Chinese DVD players over here had component output and progressive scan. Europe fails.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Coming from the country that uses Composite as "standard". New Zealand fails :D

I'd prefer Scart + Component over Composite + Component any day.