Let's Discuss HD Combo Players!

Discuss High-Definition Technology & Releases
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

It doesn't. I don't consider one user having a problem with Top Gun a problem disc. If it was an actual problem you can be sure it would be all over the (American) AVS Forum. No one has mentioned it before.

He could have a dodgy disc for all we know, add in he doesn't exactly give much background info to say it is even a problem disc, it could be a number of things.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

why don't you buy it then? hell i might buy one for the bedroom when it's in a firesale at £100 :wink:
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

1. I'm skint.

2. I'm waiting for the Firmware to be released I posted a few days ago about. It's crippled until it offers TrueHD as Lossy 5.1 (either DTS or DD5.1) *

3. I'm waiting for the Firmware to be released I posted a few days ago about. I want it to be complete when I buy it, which means Profile 1.1, DTS-HD and Full TrueHD 5.1 support.

* Although not directly connected to the problem: As it has no Analogue outputs for the first few months I'll rely on Lossy 5.1 from my existing Amp. TrueHD as 2 Channel is no good, many discs now only offer TrueHD as the Main Language. A Hidden DD5.1 soundtrack is always provided too but the LG and Samsung aren't able to detect it and just give you full Lossless TrueHD but in 2 Channel only.

Can you imagine playing your movies back in only 2 Channel? I cannot.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:1. I'm skint.
don't you live in a £600 a month pad :wink:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

£550 a month actually :D
Shingster
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Shingster »

gasteropod wrote:And Salty, yeah I guess it's still a possibility.
Figured as much, which means they will just be alienating the older demographic of film fans who either don't have an internet connection or won't want like being foced to connect online. Either way you look at it, it's a shoddy business practice.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I cannot see it "specifically" happening. You need a Router to get HD Players connected to the web and most people still use USB Modems. Add in that few people have their web connection anywhere near their TVs.

If they had a Wireless connection or even a Telephone connection then maybe but none do.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:I cannot see it "specifically" happening. You need a Router to get HD Players connected to the web
I just plug my ethernet into my PS3.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

What is at the other end of the ethernet cable?

I am guessing some type of Router. The Apple Airport Express, Orange Live Box and BT Total Broadband box are all just Wireless Routers.

If you do plug it directly into your PC then it wouldn't work as well as it could, if it works at all. I cannot remember, it's been ages since I setup a network without some sort of router. Even then Ethernet is above the ability of most households and thus forcing your Player to connect to the web won't happen.

I can see the principle of what your saying happen though, definitely.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Regarding the LG BH200:
Krobar wrote:I got a respnse from LG UK today:

We can confirm that this model will be available at the end of this month but unfortunately we do not know who will be stocking it. We suggest asking major retailers such as Currys and Comet at the end of the month.
AlfaGT wrote:I watched another 3 movies this week-end and still had no audio-/video-dropouts and still had no "green-line". But perhaps it also depends on the equipment we are running our LG (Receiver and/or Television).
Krobar wrote:I think your version is newer than the one on the LG site.

The version in your player is dated 24th Janurary 2008
The version on the LG site is dated 19th November 2007
Source: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... 99&page=23
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

durk wrote:Ive just read in home cinema choice that denon have anounced a duel format player! should be out end of 2008 or early 2009.

Source: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthre ... ost6599163
Sweet!

It will make for a nice alternative down the line. I'm not waiting though, if LG can fix their BH200 it will be mine! :D

p.s - No Salty that doesn't mean you can quote me 6 months from now ;)
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Denon make decent kit,i'd be amazed if it happened though. magazines are printed well in advance and i'd say that declaration was made before they knew Toshiba had run up the white flag.
working class blu-ray fan
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

You could well be right. If it did come it would likely be amazing!

What is different is the word "announced". I've heard of Denon rumours but not announcement before. The poster could've used the wrong word though.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Interesting, even if it's now unlikely to happen:
Krobar wrote:The Denon interview on the front page mentions a dual format Denon player and the Denon rep in AVS keeps mentioning it has not been ruled out post Toshibas downfall either.

In a way I guess it is a fairly good way to diferentiate from other high end brands and many of the early adopters with HDDVDs are the sort of people with funds and inclination to buy mid-high end gear too. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Source: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost ... stcount=50
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

Denon don't rule out a universal player which features HD-DVD playback (including video):

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724143
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I've been having a discussion with an LG rep. over the AVS Forum. I won't bother posting all the details but I thought you guys might find this interesting:
Bradavon asks:

4. You probably cannot answer this but is there any SD DVD Multiregion remote hack that can be applied? Despite being popular on DVD Players HD Players don't seem to have SD DVD MR hacks. My old LG DVD Player has one. Right now I'm not expecting BD MR hacks.

LG's Reply:

4) Yes, of course there is a hack nearly everything made has a backdoor. I am surprised the BH100 hack is not posted. Lots of goodies to unlock....

I cannot let you know the hack, technically it is a back door. Food for thought is when you can updated the firmware via the ethernet port on the BH200 you never know what hackers may do to it.. ;) especially those consumers with no firewall
I've also asked if BD Region Coding can be disabled, but I'm not expecting it to be.
gasteropod
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by gasteropod »

bradavon wrote:I've also asked if BD Region Coding can be disabled, but I'm not expecting it to be.
But surely the LG guy just said that it can. It's just a matter of finding the backdoor method.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

He's talking about an SD DVD MR hack.

EDIT: I wasn't expecting this:
One more quick question: Do either the BH100 or BH200 have a hack to disable Blu-ray region coding?
LG's response: Yes
It's a pity the SD DVD and BD MR hacks cannot be done using the remote control, it sounds like they're something more extreme using some type of reverse engineering back door. Which is out of the reach of most users.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

It's a start though....
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

I have several updates regarding LG Combo Players:

1. I've had some updated info on the BH300 from an LG employee I've been speaking to over at AVS Forum:

As of right now they are planning a BH300 or I should say they have a BH300. I would assume it will be released late this year or early next year. I do not know much about it but I do know it will support profile 2.0.

2. There has also been a mammoth Firmware upgrade for the BH200 that fixes:

1. Audio Drop Outs - There are still some reports of this happening, but they're much improved.
2. Video Drop Outs
3. SD DVD Green Line
4. DTS-HD 7.1ch Bitstream output
5. DD+ 7.1ch. Bitstream output
6. Dolby TrueHD 7.1ch Bitstream output or Onboard Decoding (PCM output) over HDMI
7. Inability to select 1080p24 (Film Mode) output in the Menu
8. Improved Profile 1.1 Support
9. Ability to Upgrade Firmware via Ethernet port
10. Dolby TrueHD 7.1ch outputted over SPDIF (Optical/Coaxial) as 2 Channel

See here for all the information:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1009104

3. The LG BH200 can now be altered to support SD DVD Multiregion:

Someone over at AVS Forum has worked out how to alter an EEPROM chip in the LG BH200 to enable SD DVD Multiregion, obviously American Players still don't support PAL but even so.

Here is a picture: http://www.gsmstore.com.br/BH200%20unlocking%20001.jpg

See here for all the information:

Last edited by bradavon on 25 Mar 2008, 02:10, edited 1 time in total.
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

No the LG BH200 is not up at MovieTyme. I cannot afford one but when I can I'll be asking them to stock it.

There is nothing holding me back now (except I cannot afford one, which is a pretty big reason). I've waited 15 months but I knew there was a strong chance a Combo Player would come that would tick all/most of the boxes. So I was prepared to wait and the wait has paid off :D

The LG BH200 now offers everything I want except for:

1. Analogue Outputs - I can definitely compromise by down the line getting a new HDMI Amp.
2. BD Profile 2.0 - The hardware supports it and the Manual specifically mentions Profile 2.0 as a possibility. Profile 1.1 was always more important to me.
3. PAL Support - I have an Upscaling HDD/DVD Recorder anyway.

Right it's time for all of you to eat humble pie for ever doubting my patience, because I know you all doubted it at times :D. Okay well I did too, but I'm allowed to :D.
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

bradavon wrote:
1. Analogue Outputs - I can definitely compromise by down the line getting a new HDMI Amp.
weren't you criticising the ps3 for not having these ?
bradavon wrote: 2. BD Profile 2.0 - The hardware supports it and the Manual specifically mentions Profile 2.0 as a possibility. Profile 1.1 was always more important to me.
Profile 2.0-you mean the LG doesn't have it? my games machine will by the end of the week!
bradavon wrote: 3. PAL Support - I have an Upscaling HDD/DVD Recorder anyway.
thought 2 machines were too many?
bradavon wrote:Right it's time for all of you to eat humble pie for ever doubting my patience, because I know you all doubted it at times
wake us all up when you get one.i predict this thread will reach 30 pages before you do :wink:
saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

Yes a european model that was SD multi-region would interest me as a bedroom spare.Multi-region usa machine is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard if it doesn't play pal. oh and Brad one thing that genuinely i fucking hate and i won't calm down on is the quoting of PM'S in a forum. you can now go fuck yourself.do not PM me again ok?thanks. god i see where the other guys come from now.you are a fucking tool.banned from dvdforums and times disliked at import forums.can you see a pattern.?
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

For those who didn't know the March Lossless Audio firmware I posted about a few weeks ago turned out to be a Beta release. Basically LG cocked up and released it too early, they swiftly removed it from their website.

LG have as of today Officially re-released it :D -

saltysam
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by saltysam »

It's May soon. look forward to hearing about Brad's entry into HD then,as i believe that's when he told us he'd be getting his player. :)