Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Debate (or Argue) About Anything and Everything
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Re: Paris ban on Muslim street prayers

Post by bradavon »

:D. Did you make her lunch too?
thelostdragon wrote:Brad, it must seem unbelievable and maybe even stupid to someone who has never experienced it.
Pretty much. I wouldn't say stupid. I'm proven time and time again the poorer people are, the more generous and kind they are. It should be the other way around but isn't.

I once met a Japanese/Korean couple in Vietnam, chatted with them over e-mail (although a not huge amount) and when I visited Japan in 2009 I was shocked to find he'd moved out for the week (he stayed at work) and gave me his flat. They didn't "really" know me from Adam.

It's definitely an Asian thing. It seems weird on one hand to lump all Asians under the same name (Middle East, South Asian, South East Asian, Far East are hardly ethnically the same) but Asians do all seem to share the same belief for family and giving to strangers, we don't in the West. Our family beliefs are certainly vastly different. I'm not saying the Asia way is better per se but different.
Yi-Long
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Yi-Long »

bradavon wrote::D. Did you make her lunch too?
thelostdragon wrote:Brad, it must seem unbelievable and maybe even stupid to someone who has never experienced it.
Pretty much. I wouldn't say stupid. I'm proven time and time again the poorer people are, the more generous and kind they are. It should be the other way around but isn't.

I once met a Japanese/Korean couple in Vietnam, chatted with them over e-mail (although a not huge amount) and when I visited Japan in 2009 I was shocked to find he'd moved out for the week (he stayed at work) and gave me his flat. They didn't "really" know me from Adam.

It's definitely an Asian thing. It seems weird on one hand to lump all Asians under the same name (Middle East, South Asian, South East Asian, Far East are hardly ethnically the same) but Asians do all seem to share the same belief for family and giving to strangers, we don't in the West. Our family beliefs are certainly vastly different. I'm not saying the Asia way is better per se but different.
I'd say the asian way is better.

Although in HK people are more distanced than maybe in other countries. And it will also depend on the individuals ofcourse.
I was there, the big BNB blackout of november, 2008. We lost many that day...
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

To an extent but Asians (and I know I'm grossly generalising) have no perspective of independence. It all comes from a family perspective and that's a polar opposite to living on your own. I know I'd hate still living with my family, I like my own space too much.
Markgway
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by Markgway »

I don't think it's stupid. I think it's nice that people are so generous and kind.

Where I'm from people invite themselves into your home... they're called burglars!
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

bradavon wrote:To an extent but Asians (and I know I'm grossly generalising) have no perspective of independence. It all comes from a family perspective and that's a polar opposite to living on your own. I know I'd hate still living with my family, I like my own space too much.
I know what you mean. In our culture you just don't move out of your parents' house unless you are getting married. Living on your own all alone is a rare thing in the East.
thelostdragon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by thelostdragon »

Markgway wrote:
Where I'm from people invite themselves into your home... they're called burglars!
:lol:
bradavon
Bruce Lee's Fist

Post by bradavon »

thelostdragon wrote:I know what you mean. In our culture you just don't move out of your parents' house unless you are getting married. Living on your own all alone is a rare thing in the East.
But you then move into another family :). Being an Asian-Europe/Westerner which do you feel closer to? By that I mean do you feel the need for independence more than others in your family?

I know my Mum could never have her Mum still living with her (she's a lovely lady but can be very difficult) but she does everything for her otherwise. Orders her online shopping, collects her medicine etc... It seems like a fair compromise.